The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Many thanks, tw. That's a list and a half!

I must admit that I used to take a great interest in computing and, at one time, would have been a bit better prepared for yesterday's events.

Interests, and the time available to pursue them, change over the years so I'm really rather out of touch.

However, my computer isn't labelled 'Mr Babbage's Difference Engine'.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Abandon hope all ye who enter Babbage's nightmare.
Quote:
Babbage’s other inventions include the cowcatcher, the dynamometer, the standard railroad gauge, uniform postal rates, occulting lights for lighthouses, Greenwich time signals, and the heliograph opthalmoscope. A true hacker, he was also passionate about cyphers and lock-picking.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #18
captainhook455
Rapscallion

How do you people know all this stuff? The only 'puter work I had to deal with while employed was to order supplies or to do cbl's. I feel dumbed down with my lowly phone.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
How do you people know all this stuff?
Henry Ford intentionally made cars less reliable in order to cut costs (ie exploding Pinto). So I had to learn this stuff. I bought shop manuals (five books) from Ford. Broke the backs of some of those books by falling asleep on them. But I learned - not only about cars. But also about how better diagnostics are performed. And how to read technical stuff.

Therefore as a teenager, I even designed an electronics ignition (with help from Popular Electronics) so that (in today's money) a $100 tune up was unnecessary every 3 months or 5000 miles. And then asked why engineers in Ford could not do that. Damning questions that also taught me how to build an 8080 microprocessor. Not assemble; build by literally soldering every wire.

And learned why failures happen.

Learn all this stuff by doing it - constantly. What I learned about cars also explains fundamental concepts in economics. And so I did not lose massive sums in the 2007 crash.

Simple rules apply. Always discover what failed long before trying to fix anything (using concepts even first taught in elementary school science). Appreciate that nothing works right the first, second, or ninth time. (How many times did I disassemble that carburetor because I had some screws left over?) If doing stuff causes frustration, then one has not yet learned how the real world works.

To appreciate this, find a discussion from Cloud about Idle Air Control Valve. And how so many never bothered to learn how to diagnosis a problem. Many computers were replaced until one mechanic finally did what was obviously the problem.

Some can only blindly do what is ordered rather than also learn what is being done - and why. All that is learned only by solving problems even in other technologies that have no relationship.

First, reasons for his slowness must be defined. Nothing else (no part changes, no nuke 'n pave, no 'try this', and no 'maybe it is that') is attempted. Many never learn how to approach a problem. Then get frustrated.

Read the books that also say why. Never get frustrated. And learn how to think through a problem.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

tarheel,

Don't feed the droll.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Echo View Post
Also a very stable genius.
We are being haunted by The Don.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Henry Ford intentionally made cars less reliable in order to cut costs (ie exploding Pinto).
Henry Ford died in 1947. The Pinto came out in 1971. That's where I stopped reading.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Henry Ford died in 1947. The Pinto came out in 1971.
Henry Ford that died in 1947 obviously was not running Ford in the 1970s. Since emotion made a decision, then you did not learn what you should have known long ago.

That Henry Ford left the FMC in the early 1980s. And then had to get a driver's license. He was an MBA. He did not know how to drive and did not have a clue how cars worked. He died in 1987. He would not let engineers fix the known, explosive problem with the Pinto. And also instituted other problems including insufficient oiling holes for the overhead camshaft.

The other (older) Henry Ford raced cars long before he started a car manufacturing company called Ford Motor Company. He came from where the work gets done - the definition of an American patriot.

Current Chairman of FMC is William Clay Ford. A critic of his father Henry Ford for obvious reasons.

All this was posted previously. Only an adult educated by emotions would not bother to learn. And yes, many adults still act like children. Are therefore potential Donald Trump supporters.

Apparently you have not yet learned how others learn this stuff. captainhook455 wants to learn. You do not. A characteristic common to The Donald's supporters.

An adult would apologize for not knowing the obvious. An adult who is still a child would be emotional and post nasty replies.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Well, I just can't see why everyone doesn't enjoy technology conversations...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #25
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
tarheel,

Don't feed the droll.
What? I'm sorry I just woke up.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Why would you be sorry you just woke up?

Or did you?

Maybe you died in your sleep and this Technology forum is your HELL! Bwahahaha.

I suppose it could be just a nightmare.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Could be a wet dream...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #28
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Henry Ford that died in 1947 obviously was not running Ford in the 1970s. Since emotion made a decision, then you did not learn what you should have known long ago.

That Henry Ford left the FMC in the early 1980s. And then had to get a driver's license. He was an MBA. He did not know how to drive and did not have a clue how cars worked. He died in 1987. He would not let engineers fix the known, explosive problem with the Pinto. And also instituted other problems including insufficient oiling holes for the overhead camshaft.

The other (older) Henry Ford raced cars long before he started a car manufacturing company called Ford Motor Company. He came from where the work gets done - the definition of an American patriot.

Current Chairman of FMC is William Clay Ford. A critic of his father Henry Ford for obvious reasons.

All this was posted previously. Only an adult educated by emotions would not bother to learn. And yes, many adults still act like children. Are therefore potential Donald Trump supporters.

Apparently you have not yet learned how others learn this stuff. captainhook455 wants to learn. You do not. A characteristic common to The Donald's supporters.

An adult would apologize for not knowing the obvious. An adult who is still a child would be emotional and post nasty replies.
You are crazier than a shithouse rat.[/emotions]

Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #29
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
You are crazier than a shithouse rat.
I could not get on Nixon's enemies list. Apparently I can get on The Don's enemies list.

Anyone can see Henry Ford was completely different from Henry Ford. But that is always hard for a Donald disciple.

Its good to know you are being so helpful with a Windows problem.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #30
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

How do you get me as Donald Trump Supporter? That just confuses me, every time you do it.

Or is that just another of your tiring, monotonous repetitions?[/emotionalchildrenbusinessschoolgraduates]