The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-28-2002, 11:30 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

11/28/2002: Happy Thanksgiving day?

I have the name of the dude who sent this along but not the handle - so I'm skipping that bit SORRY! But this is a fine T-giving image for those of you who have not eaten yet. Inspired by the bird strike image, and it does show that bird strike doesn't only affect planes.

Poor roadrunner.

Have a nice meal.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #2
ToastyKen
Profitable Prophet

Umm... so... like.. how on earth did that turkey GET there?!
Old 11-28-2002, 01:01 PM   #3
tpsreport
Neophyte-in-training

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ToastyKen
Umm... so... like.. how on earth did that turkey GET there?!
Perhaps somebody had some free time and a copy of Photoshop?
I'm not very good at identifying that type of thing, but there is some interesting pixellation in the image. Some of it looks a little more rectangular than I would expect.
tpsreport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:27 PM   #4
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

square pixelation can come from overcompression of .jpg files so that isn't very good evidence of fiddling. I also don't think that is a turkey, looks more like a turkey buzzard. Maybe it was eyeing the road runner on the side of the truck and miscalculated.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:36 PM   #5
Rihan
Kinda New Member

Submitter Dude Here

The plane impact image reminded me of this image sitting on my hard drive. Good timing for T-Day too.

I also wondered if this was Photoshopped; especially the pixelization. What I don't understand is why a forger would leave such obvious traces behind when everything else is flawless. The blood, shadowing, and integration with the truck and ladder are great. I'm pretty convinced it's real but in any case it made me laugh.

Hope you enjoyed it too. Happy Turkey Day. :-)
Rihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #6
theillegitimate
Questionist

Question It has the potential for fraud....

I am thinking based on a few things that this may be a fraud. It is extrememly suspicious.

1. I think we are led to believe that this is the head.

2. The feet are rather suspicious being straight up.

3. The angle and curve of the wing? doesn't match items 1 and 2.

Ok.... here's my synopsis of things. If item 1 is supposed to be where the head is it makes item 3, the curve of the wings backwords based on item 2, the feet. The curve should be inverted. from what it is currently.

A possibility is this. Item 1 is not the head and that bird had the worst case of hemroids ever. This would make items 2 and 3 consistent.

I don't claim to be an expert.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whoaaa. Take a look at some pictures of people that have been hit by moving trucks. See if the wings, feet and head are at the
proper angles to each other. Oh ye of little faith.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
And
Conjunction

And considering the position of the body, I would surmise (as if it weren't rather obvious) that the head is not currently present in this shot.

It was so upset at the accident that it wandered into the local tavern and had a pint.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:05 AM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Take a look at some pictures of people that have been hit by moving trucks. See if the wings, feet and head are at the
proper angles to each other.
If you can find wings in pictures of people who have been hit by moving trucks, you might want to try to sell them to the Enquirer. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:16 PM   #10
Bitman
cellar smellar

I'm guessing from the angle of the traces that the van was moving at the time at impact. I suspect the bird was nailed by the front of the van, flew over the top, and came down between two rungs. The driver brought the vehicle to a stop shortly thereafter either to inspect the damage, or to show the bird to the kids in that particular neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
If you can find wings in pictures of people who have been hit by moving trucks, you might want to try to sell them to the Enquirer. :-)
On humans we call them 'arms', but they're they're structurally similar. So angels with wings at their shoulder blades are effectively 4-armed humans.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:25 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Unless they are famous or it's a particularly bizarre hit (man named Hamburger turned into Hamburger by McDonald's Delivery Truck). If it's just gooey, you're better off submitting to rotten.com

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote