The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

DVD playback problems.

Riddle me this:

Fresh install of Windows XP, first thing I did was install SP1 and all security updates. Installed WinDVD. From both Media Player and WinDVD, playback on any DVD locks the application (not system) right the fuck up as soon as it tries to switch titles. My terminology may be bad here, but in Media Player it reports titles with chapters hanging under them. But I know for a fact that the failure is when title changes happen.

Extensive Googling and mskbasing give me no answers, but have helped narrow the problem down somewhat.

I think the problem stems from a combination of XP Service Pack 1 and the video card, a GeForce FX 5200 (eVGA). I've tried different video card drivers, from the eVGA approved one to the one available at nvidia.com. Unfortunately I did not test DVD playback before installing SP1, as I didn't expect the problem. Absolutely no applications running on startup, so there's no interference there. The DVDROM (Samsung SD-616F) is on the latest firmware rev.

Any ideas?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

Wait... wait... may have found something...

Edit: Nevermind. Same problem. Goddammit.

Last edited by perth; 05-18-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

You may be able to back out SP1. Go to 'Control Panels/Add or Remove Programs'. It'll be down at the bottom.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

I wish. I pulled an "enduser" and decided that since it was a fresh install there was no way I would ever need to back out of it. So that little checkmark that said "back up files first"? I unchecked it. In the back of my mind I was thinking that if the install killed my computer I would just reimage. Well, it didn't and I didn't come across this problem until well after I had reinstalled *everything*, a process I do not relish doing again so soon. But I suspect I'm gonna have to. Ugh. I hate computers. I hate it even more when I do something stupid like not make sure I can go back if needed.

Maybe this is a good excuse to upgrade my video card. I just wish I had proof in hand before I go and blow 400 bucks.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Bitman
cellar smellar

I just build a new computer, and learned first hand:

It ain't Windows til you install it twice.

Sorry, I don't have a clue about the problem. But SP2 beta is available (and the real one is coming up); you might try that.

Well, I have a little clue. AFAIK, Windows doesn't come with any DVD capability, so MP is actually using your WinDVD drivers. You might try reinstalling that, or removing it and trying some other apps. Nvidia has a free DVD player for download.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

VideoLan Client

Heya,

I had issues when reinstalling everything on my Thinkpad due to putting XP Pro SP1 on here.

I get realistic playback speeds with VideoLAN client, and it kicks butt.

It also lets me play lots of other stuff, and isn't a pig like Media Player 9 (ouch!).

I'm running it on a PIII-M 1GHz with 1GB RAM and Intel Onboard Graphics. A GeForce FX 5200 will be better than what this has.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
perth
Strong Silent Type

Well, if actual DVD playback is part of the problem (and please understand that I mean it's a cause [and I don't think it is], not just a symptom) then it's gotta be the codec. As Bitman pointed out, Media Player and WinDVD are just sharing a codec and they both have the same problem.

I'm gonna try out SP2 beta tonight. Wish me luck.

I guess it's worth mentioning at this point that I'm 99% confident that the problem is the video board. The system doesn't have onboard video so it's gonna be a bitch to confirm. Need to acquire another card, even if it's a cheapie.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:39 PM   #8
mbpark
Lecturer

I had worse with an ATI AIW 7500 card

Heya,

I had a nasty issue like this under Win2K with my desktop (ATI AIW Radeon 7500) and it was drivers. I still used VLC to verify, and it worked just fine. It has DirectX and standard GDI modes, which I used to test the video modes.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

Well, thats what's confusing. There's implication elsewhere on MS's site that DirectX 9 may be causing the problem. I know I cannot be the first person to run Windows XP SP1 with a GeForce FX 5200, but the problem is obviously rare, and may have something to do with the system in general. It's probably a combination of things, but I've run out of troubleshooting steps. SP2 RC1 is installing now, so I've got my fingers crossed, though I doubt this is gonna help.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:02 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You might find something here.