The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #121
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,661
The reason merc hasnt been around ,
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. "
Brother Dave Gardner
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #122
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... Merc? ... There are things he knows that he's right about.
Right wing vs. left wing most understated pun of the year.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #123
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,401
Wow. 100+ posts for what? Mostly you're all bickering amongst yourselves over someone who most of you know nothing about.
Dana, you tried to do a good thing. don't beat yourself up for that.

Ibs - FUCK YOU. You were every bit as much a dick to him as he was to you.

What one posts here is certainly not the whole of that person. For example, when Merc heard of my son's accident from Jim's post on here, he got my number somehow ( I still don't know how) & called me a few days later. Offered ANYTHING, anything he could to help me out. He stayed on the phone with me while I cried for hours. When my son came home and I didn't have the money to buy him a cane, the fucker sent me a check to buy my son, and I quote, "a cool cane for a cool kid." Who the fuck does that?
Tony needed a car - Merc contributed very generously if I recall. Sam's camera example is another. Ask Tony about his tip jar donations. I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of. He is one of the most generous people I've met.
Was he a dick and totally over the top at times? Yup, no question about it. I sent him PM's more than once telling him to STFU. Who the heck hasn't said shit they didn't mean out of anger, alcohol use/abuse whatever? Look in the mirror.

I left here for while because the bullshit got so fucking deep it was sickening and it made me more of a bitter, shitty person. Thats a stark contrast from a time when I thought you people here were the closest "friends" I had. I came here to give and get advice & to share my life - both good and godawful. No matter what, I could count on your support and honesty. I don't feel that way anymore, or not enough to keep me participating on a daily basis - and that SUCKS. It makes me sad, really sad.

Fukkit.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #124
lookout123
changed his status to single
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Right behind you. No, the other side.
Posts: 10,308
Wow. Just wow. Although my absence is largely due to other reasons I really couldn't have written a better explanation than this thread for why my absence from the cellar didn't bother me more.

Merc was/is an asshole.
Ibby was/is an asshole.
You were/are a bunch of whiney bandwagon hopping assholes.
I was/am an asshole.

Grow the fuck up. Would you really say some of this shit to someone's face? Really? Really Really? If your answer is anything beyond staring at your shoes and whimpering like a dog that pissed on the floor, then shame on you.

I'm disgusted with us.
__________________
Getting knocked down is no sin, it's not getting back up that's the sin
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #125
SamIam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,655
Lookout! What a surprise! I wish you would have made your return (which I assume is a brief one) in another thread. What's the point of being nasty to everyone else in order to inform them how nasty THEY are? I always thought better of you, and now I'm disappointed.

This should be called the "poison thread" and have a warning come on your computer screen that the reader stands a high chance of coming away angry or depressed or both. Often no good comes from posting to it. I only replied because I was surprised to see your name. I wish you better days and a sunnier disposition.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #126
lookout123
changed his status to single
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Right behind you. No, the other side.
Posts: 10,308
Actually, I'm not angry, depressed, or down. Disappointed, yes. Did I happen to catch your attention because I dared to type out that I, you, and most of the participants have been assholes? Then good.

Now put it in context. Have you, SamIam, been an asshole? I don't know. I haven't and won't go back to read all the hundreds of threads I've missed. Have you, SamIam, been a part of the community that seems to have moved on from being a community of wildly different philosophies, lifestyles, politics, communication styles, economic brackets, and any other demographic category imaginable to become something less? Yes? Then SamIam and Lookout should feel some measure of shame.

I get that this is the cellar and is really just a webbased bulletin board, but I always thought of it as something more. I really did feel it was a legitimate community where I could genuinely learn what other people thought and felt; not just those of similar political schools (obviously I lean right) but also those that are 1 to 180 degrees away from my views. I edged my way out of daily participation because I felt we were losing that but assumed it was my own sensitivities at play. (it's possible they still are)

I popped back in to find just pure nastiness directed at anyone who veers from the homogenized "correct" view of things. I find it offensive.

It is your fault. You are here and allow it to happen. It is my fault because I perceive this as an undesireable state of existence and chose to walk away rather than attempt to influence it. It is Jim's fault because... well, he's Jim.

So anyway, Sam - if I have personally offended you, I apologize for my lack of skill in expressing my thoughts. I meant no individual personal insult. I am, however, disappointed in us as a group.

I believe the cellar was more than this. I believe the cellar IS more than this. I commit to returning and attempting to express my views in a non-insulting but certainly divisive manner more often as I get my personal affairs in order.

Oh, and fuck Jim. I say that purely because my introduction to the cellar was having my ass shredded by LJ over my political and religious views. He slapped me down for the newb I was, but in such a manner that I was compelled to return and present myself more coherently. So thanks Jim. You are one of my all time favorite dwellars. You asshole.
__________________
Getting knocked down is no sin, it's not getting back up that's the sin
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #127
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Badelaide, Baustralia
Posts: 12,861
Well, crap.

Catharsis can be good, sometimes.


ETA Composed before I had read lookout's most recent post (126). Was a comment on the overall situation.

EtalsoA oh and welcome back, Lookout!
__________________
Shut up and hug. MoreThanPretty, Nov 5, 2008.
Just because I'm nominally polite, does not make me a pussy. Sundae Girl.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #128
SamIam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Actually, I'm not angry, depressed, or down. Disappointed, yes. Did I happen to catch your attention because I dared to type out that I, you, and most of the participants have been assholes? Then good.
Well, this thread depressed ME. You happened to catch my attention because I saw your user name - something that hasn't happened in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout
Now put it in context. Have you, SamIam, been an asshole?
LOL! What a question! As you very well know, I can be a real bitch at times. I'm working on that, but sometimes my inner bitch still demands to escape and run free. What's a girl to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I don't know. Have you, SamIam, been a part of the community that seems to have moved on from being a community of wildly different philosophies, lifestyles, politics, communication styles, economic brackets, and any other demographic category imaginable to become something less? Yes? Then SamIam and Lookout should feel some measure of shame.
What's the point of asking me a question when you've decided you already know the answer? You haven't gone back and read any posts, but you've decided that I (and you) failed some Cellar litmus test and must now go around hanging our heads in shame. You're certainly free to do as please, feel all the shame you want, but ddon't try to unload all your nuggets of coal on me.

I've learned quite a few things on the Cellar, and these days I try to post stuff that may be interesting or comforting or whatever in return.

If your plan is to come back here and be as mean as you've been in your two posts here, then you'll get what you give. Excuse me for not meeting your standards.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #129
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,654
@ Ali - forgive me if I am not "over" such a horrible thing. Do I forgive merc? Sure. He's human-ish after all.

He hurt me on a grand scale. I suppose I shall never like him or forget what he did to me. When a person is in a suicidal state of mind....well, need I really expand on that?

and if a Dwellar's love and respect can be bought-how much? I'll try to buy---I mean MEET----all of your needs then you'll love me and defend me till Jim's death the way the Universe means it to be.

Ali, Ali---we forgave each other long ago. I still don't get how you, a committed liberal with waaaaaay socialist views, got to be so tight with a man so completely opposite in his views. Actually, his views were MY views when we used to fight; then, largely because of Dana, my views changed and as far as I knew, you were still a cheerleader for the left. Your sig line even read "Apparently I'm a leftie" or some such. Then you go and gush all over merc? I never saw you get angry with him-----maybe you did, I don't read everything of course. I DO recall you telling him to 'cool it, mate' once when he was being way, waaaaaay over the top with a newbie (his favorite food).

I've no animosity towards you. I've changed my views. Even if someone IS a raving right-winger I can still learn, be their friend, etc. I don't have to suffer a bully who is being a bully for self aggrandizement and an "I'm better than you" bullshit attitude which he has in spades.
__________________
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie


Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #130
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,654
quote classicman: "Who the fuck does that?"

bruce, for one. Actually, bruce does it quite often to many different dwellars because he genuinely likes to be generous.

and when I was sick I got LOADS of books, soft socks, a hat, loads of things. all from dwellars. I passed all my cancer books on to ortho. We don't all sing our own praises. mostly it;s just done.
__________________
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie


Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #131
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,793
I didn't get anything from Merc before he left. I was hoping for a machine gun or some hand grenades to use for hunting and fishing respectively; but, noooooooooo. All I got was dwellars sloppy seconds, those whom he had his way with then tossed aside. I am disappoint.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #132
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,449
I think that the cellar is weakened by the absence of Dwellars like Merc, Monster, Lookout, Classic (though not absent as much lately) Lumberjim, and a number of others. I often don't agree with them on certain political issues, but it is pretty boring to be surrounded by a bunch of replicants.

I am not as likely to engage in fierce debate, if I disagree with someone I rarely feel the need to get all butthurt and contentious about it, partly out of my personality and partly that I find it really hard to keep track of things and hard to "keep score" (one of the reasons why my marriage has gone on long past its "sell by" date--Not keeping track and score makes it hard to have arguments backed up by examples) But I am glad that there are posters here who are willing to argue and get all butthurt; it keeps things, to be cliche, real. Or at least realer-ish.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #133
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,654
I'll tell ya what, foot. If MaggieL ever comes back I'll pink pistol her to fucking Moonrise Kingdom with her own damn pistol!

then I shall laff at her and her best friend, the straw man whom I shall slowly and methodically burn to death in a sinister and delightful s'morish kind of way.

Howzat?
__________________
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie


Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #134
SamIam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
quote classicman: "Who the fuck does that?"

bruce, for one. Actually, bruce does it quite often to many different dwellars because he genuinely likes to be generous.
Kudos to BigV as well.











There have been a few reasonable posts, but overall this thread sucks. It reminds me of why I take breaks from this place. Add that to Lookout's attack on me, and I realize that the Cellar is not a healthy place for me to be spending my time - not right now, anyhow. I'm outta here.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #135
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Hoosierland
Posts: 3,549
Seriously, Foot, to whine about the whiners is just as bad.
__________________
Jesse LaGreca in 2012

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.