The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
be-bop
Operations Operative

Meta data on image files

I need some help here, went into properties to check the size of an image file and going through the different items ( General, Security, Details and Previous versions) I noticed that my e-mail address was noted in the Security box?. Never noticed this before.
I don't mind details such as camera, type of file (JPEG) etc being on the file but I'm bothered that if I submit a photo to a web site my e-mail address is going to be there for all to see.
I have looked on the net to see if I can delete this info before submitting anywhere but been unable to get an answer to the question if this e-mail info is attached and could be extracted from any photos I may post.
Any Ideas
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The Details tab contains the data that's embedded in the image - but I don't think the Security tab gets its info from there. That's probably something else.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Was that photo taken with your phone or camera?
When I go through the General, Security, Details, and Previous versions, it doesn't show any email address with pictures downloaded from my camera.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #4
be-bop
Operations Operative

Was that photo taken with your phone or camera?
When I go through the General, Security, Details, and Previous versions, it doesn't show any email address with pictures downloaded from my camera

It was taken with my camera, I'm beginning to think it's advising me of system details as where the file is stored title of file etc on my laptop.
because the section where it gives my name email address and administrator dets is just before the change permissions boxes are.
What I'm curious about is that does this info stay on my computer or is it attached to the file data and goes with the file if you post the photo to a webs site or flickr account or suchlike
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, you're right. The first thing on the Security tab is the address in my computer and who has permissions. No email though, probably because it's on the PC.