The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Does one of the sharks have stupid blades welded onto her finger tips?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You're thinking of Wolverine.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #18
DanaC

Nope I'm thinking of that inhuman chick that Cal recruits - along with shouty man, strong man and tech genius. S.H.I.E.L.D made her wear permanent gloves to keep the blades on her fingers covered.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I missed that. I need to go back and watch.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #20
DanaC

You really don't. They were a fairly unimpressive bunch of inhumans.

How is she even a fucking inhuman? They refer to her as 'gifted' - all she's done is have blades surgically grafted onto her fingertips. Thoroughly unimpressive.

The guy with the voice that can kill could have been interesting - but was really underused. Cal's whole team came across as piss poor and his big bid for vengeance against Coulson and his crew was a damp squib.

It's ep 13 if you're interested - 'One of Us'

Last edited by DanaC; 05-16-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I'm not recognizing any of the things you are talking about. Is this season 3?

The last episode I saw was when Raina and Sky were in the underground temple and things went boom and agent Triplet died.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Weird, I jsut read the plot summary on wiki and I don't remember any of it. I need to see if I actually watched season 2 or just DL'd it.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
DanaC

Sounds like you left off at the mid-season break.

I actually quite liked a lot ofthe first half of season 2 - some of it was junk, but some of it worked well.

Since it came back it has lost some of its energy imo. It's too fragmented. Far too plotty and not nearly enough character development. The character development that is there is kind of clunky and forced.*

Having said all that - I ended up quite enjoying ep 14 on last night's rewatch. It seems to be clawing the disparate strands together and hinting at a potentially intriguing development. Also Admiral Adama turned up, and that's always a good thing.

*with some honourable exceptions - particularly Simmons - and though the writing makes for forced development, the actors are good enough, for the most part, to make it more or less work.

I suspect, with the hints dropped in ep 14, that some of that less comfortable character development and general air of .... 'offness' will be contextualised soon.

They've either totally jumped the shark in an attempt to satisfy the hardcore fans, or they've done something clever. Given the second half of season 2, I'm hoping for the latter.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-16-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
They refer to her as 'gifted' - all she's done is have blades surgically grafted onto her fingertips. Thoroughly unimpressive.
But but. if she didn't shred the toilet paper... or herself... that's impressive.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #25
DanaC

Well - I struggled through the less interesting stuff - honestly, it was like homework - but am really glad I did, because the inhuman storyline turned into something genuinely interesting.

Spoilers below for anyone not uptodate:

The series took a definite upswing for me when they sent Simmons off to another world and then had Fitz rescue her and bring her back - in particular, the Ward transformation has been really great.

i think it probably helped that I fell off it again for a while, so when I did return I was about 6 eps behind and bingewatching really helped with the immersion - also, when bingewatching, it doesn't matter as much if an episodedoesn't quite hit - because there isn't a week's wait to see if the next is any good.

Mostly though, I think the inhumans became a whole heap more interesting when they were less about Skye/Daisy's weird family, and a bunch of special people living in a retreat and more about an ancient and powerful evil plotting world domination.

Can't get enough of evil Hydra-Ward - the actor totally nailed it. Really fucking creepy and genuinely unnerving. Also makes the idea of the organisation, Hydra, make a lot more sense.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
John Sellers
Banned

"Hydra-Ward's" name is Hive, and it inhabited Grant's body after Phil killed him.

Grant Ward is he's played by Brett Dalton.
John Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
DanaC

Hive! yes, that was it. Also - Brett Dalton - thanks.

I realise he isn't actually Ward anymore - but he does have his memories (and all the other peeps)

I do think Dalton plays a much better bad guy than good guy. Creepy as fuck - especially when he first came back.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I had thought Brett Dalton was a somewhat one-dimensional actor until he became HIVE, now I am impressed with how subtle his performance can be. He's not Anthony Hopkins or Michael Caine, but he's young yet. I wonder if he can do comedy?

I've been watching Arrow and the actor who plays Damien Darhk, Neal McDonough, is super fucking evil. The only other movie I saw him in was Red 2, where he played the same type of villain. I wonder if he is typecast or has a greater range.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #29
DanaC

I am really struggling with Arrow. I like elements of it still - I really like Detective Lance. Paul Blackthorne really brought it in the episode before last. And the last episode I thought was much stronger than it's been for much of this season.

Watching Daredevil and Jessica Jones has kind of ruined Arrow for me a bit.

I dunno - I just haven't felt that invested in Oliver Queen just lately. I liked him better as the batmanesque troubled hero - billionaire playboy by day and kick-ass vigilante by night, with just a couple of people who knew his secret. Instead of this Green Arrow crap (yes, I know that's the original comic book character), where he basically leads the world's least competent scooby gang.

And the new suit sucks. Did I already mention that I hate the new suit? Looks fucking ridiculous.

Also Olicity pretty much killed Arrow for me. That and the fact that it sometimes just seems to be mainly a staging post for other shows to launch from. I'm hoping that Felicity and Oliver can just get on with being good friends who once were together - that'd be ok. If I have to watch another season of will they-won't they-oh they did-now they don't-now they do again bullshit, I may have to abandon it in disgust. Which is a shame, because I loved Felicity as a character. She was awesome. But they made her really irritating.

I still watch it , because...I dunno - every so often I get that good Arrow vibe from it again. But it's like a chore for several episodes at a time interspersed with good stuff.

I quite like Dahrk. he's pretty evil and presents a credible threat. Which is good, because they've basically reduced Malcom Merlin to pantomime villain.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-07-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I am really struggling with Arrow. I like elements of it still - I really like Detective Lance. Paul Blackthorne really brought it in the episode before last. And the last episode I thought was much stronger than it's been for much of this season.

Watching Daredevil and Jessica Jones has kind of ruined Arrow for me a bit.

I dunno - I just haven't felt that invested in Oliver Queen just lately. I liked him better as the batmanesque troubled hero - billionaire playboy by day and kick-ass vigilante by night, with just a couple of people who knew his secret. Instead of this Green Arrow crap (yes, I know that's the original comic book character), where he basically leads the world's least competent scooby gang.

And the new suit sucks. Did I already mention that I hate the new suit? Looks fucking ridiculous.

Also Olicity pretty much killed Arrow for me. That and the fact that it sometimes just seems to be mainly a staging post for other shows to launch from. I'm hoping that Felicity and Oliver can just get on with being good friends who once were together - that'd be ok. If I have to watch another season of will they-won't they-oh they did-now they don't-now they do again bullshit, I may have to abandon it in disgust. Which is a shame, because I loved Felicity as a character. She was awesome. But they made her really irritating.

I still watch it , because...I dunno - every so often I get that good Arrow vibe from it again. But it's like a chore for several episodes at a time interspersed with good stuff.

I quite like Dahrk. he's pretty evil and presents a credible threat. Which is good, because they've basically reduced Malcom Merlin to pantomime villain.
I agree that they've seemed to lose sight of what made the characters compelling and sympathetic. Even the new intro by Oliver sounds like he is apologizing for being a shittier, less interesting character.

My chief complaint is that far too often it goes well beyond straying into, and immigrates into soap-opera. The camera angles, the flat delivery as though reading lines, and even the dialogue itself has failed this series And sometimes it feels like Barrowman is just phoning his lines in, but who can blame him, how many times can you say, "I'm not the man you think I am." with feeling?

The inch and I joke that the series should be called People Who Are Not Who You Think They Are. We hear that at least once a show.

I am still only up to episode 8 of season 4. I accidentally saw, in a google search, a possible spoiler pertaining to Felicity's father.

Also I can't wait for Jessica Jones to come back because that is a great show, but again, will they need to evolve her out of what makes her badass?