The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #76
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
I'll do that, squirell. But I am not ignorant of typography. I worked at Aldus for 7 years. But I still think criticizing a movie for the font it uses is over the top. It seems to me like people congratulating each other on being the in crowd. I have yet to hear a meaningful argument against it.

It's overused? Times-Roman has been around since 1931.

It's not unreadable, it's not ugly. It may be cutesy, but it fits the movie.
Never said you were ignorant, but you are in the 1%. I haven't seen the movie, but if it's lost for someone because of the font, they probably weren't going to be fair minded about it anyway.

And yeah, it is jumping on the "We're so typographically sophisticated blah blah crowd." I wonder how well they'd do with this quiz?
http://fontgame.ilovetypography.com/
my best so far is 23

(Talk about ubiquitous, Garamond goes back to 1530)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #77
Flint
Snowflake

To all of the font nerds...this is you:
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #78
Cloud

Helvetica doesn't seem to be an option in Word. I hear death bells.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #79
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Of all the things I've said, one off-the-cuff comment made in jest (in reply to the immediately preceeding post) is what you're getting from this?
Ok. Here's hos it seemed to me:

Flint: I'm not going to see Avatar because it's been advertised too much.
Dar: So you realize that means you are still being affected by the advertising
Flint: Well, I wouldn't like it anyway because I can guess how the story will come out.

So what you're saying is that a work of art is guaranteed to be no good if you can tell where the story will go? Novelty is the only attribute that matters to you in a movie?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #80
Flint
Snowflake

What I said was that the overly-specific framing of the movies attributes would make viewing the movie itself into an excercise in comparative analysis, thus a completely out-of-the-moment experience for me. It wasn't my decision to be bombarded by a rigid preconception of this movie, I am placing blame where it belongs--the decision to execute an unrelenting media blitz.

The fact that seeing a preview of the plot was such a shocking disappointment was fueled by this same level of over-hyped expectations.

I'm saying that the quality and quantity of media attention created conditions which preclude me being able to give an honest, fair chance to this movie. Again, this wasn't my decision. I am not claiming immunity to the advertsing campaign, I am saying it had consequences they did not intend.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #81
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
I’m not trying to be non-conformist, I simply don’t think I can enjoy the movie when the act of watching it has been forced to be an analysis of what I am seeing on the screen versus the expectations created by an unrelenting, overly specific media campaign.
FWIW, not only did the media hype *not* influence me (I would have gone to see a movie by Cameron with this subject matter in any event - I like his work), I would go so far as to say that the trailers, in particular, did not even remotely convey the depth and immersive character of the world that was created.

I had no high expectations for this film, and as a result, became more and more awed and appreciative as the film wore on.

Flint, the media hype is there whether you see the film or not. As with many things, the only way to truly know how you will end up feeling about something is to experience it as it was meant to be experienced. I'm very, very cynical about film in particular as an art form, and for me, this was very nearly the best pure movie entertainment experience I've had.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #82
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
...to experience it as it was meant to be experienced...
Too late for that. They've framed how it should be experienced, thus I only have the option to agree or disagree (or get amnesia). I am choosing the third option: neither. Please note that this is not a decision to opt out of a default position, simply a decision not to execute a discretionary action.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #83
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

We too went to see a 'James Cameron' movie and I for one was not following any preconceived notion or hype. I had no idea what it was about. I don't watch TV much and only listen to music on the PC so I didn't know what to expect and my expectations were not high. I did not find the blue people all that appealing or interesting when I would see advertisements online and would not even bother to look at them. It was a treat for someone who wanted to see it and I am so glad I took the plunge.

{about hype}
I always taught my son to give me a logical reason for wanting something. When he was a kid that is what he did. I don't appreciate doing something just because everyone its the 'in' thing and I do appreciate learning something.

I don't think that happened now as an adult he is pretty smart and savy and told me a little history about James Cameron's work so we went.

Like Elsp. said it is an art form and I had never seen anything like it. I felt like I was at Disney Land. hehe :p

I can see how people might criticize this or that but really it was a marvelous fantasy for me and as well as most everyone else it seems.

Last edited by skysidhe; 01-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #84
Elspode

I *totally* understand the various negative points being made about "Avatar". Hype. Simplicity of story. Following like sheep into the theater...whatever.

All I can say is that I am not a sheep, I actively avoid hype, and I am a fan of complex storytelling...and this is *still* one of the top two or three big screen entertainments I've ever seen. I didn't want to end up feeling that way, really. I couldn't avoid it. About halfway through, I turned to Selene, pulled her to my face and whispered "This is a kick ass movie!". She just smiled at me and nodded, and we went back to watching. This film isn't about a single thing - story, 3D, CGI, media hype. It is a truly virtual, different, immersive experience.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You may like, or dislike, the movie for any one of a million reasons. But you won't know until you see it.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #86
Cloud

I find it ironic that prejudice is one of the movie's themes, in light of this conversation.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #87
skysidhe

Yes it was a very immersive film!

I barely noticed the time passing.

I didn't think I was going to like the 3d at all. Then you barely noticed it because it became a part of the whole and like you said it wasn't about one little part. Oh and it had a happy ending. I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

gimmie the cheese

@ cloud true.

oh and I didn't HAVE to go. He could have gone on his own. I am sooo glad I did go.

Last edited by skysidhe; 01-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #88
Elspode

Flint is taking a position based on aesthetic/intellectually moral reasons, and I can respect that. The reason I'm arguing the point is because I understand where he's coming from, but this movie is so ridiculously kickass, I feel like, if he saw it, he'd leave feeling dirty, but entertained...kind of like I feel when I watch "True Blood".
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #89
skysidhe

I didn't know what that True Blood was. I had to look it up. It's still loading slowly. I do know it is an HBO show/movie.

I guess that is where the good shows are these days. I have com cast but no premium channels. I hate paying for the tv and not watching it.

Oh so it's a vampire show. I don't know. I am kind of a Buffy Kinda girl. Oh and the lost boys that was a great one.

I am into the vampire books occasionally. I was looking up the book Hunger by Whitney Striber. I wonder if it is any good?

Flint

I understand his reasons. I do at times feel I want to do the exact opposite of what the establishment wants me to think/do.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #90
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
What I said was that the overly-specific framing of the movies attributes would make viewing the movie itself into an excercise in comparative analysis, thus a completely out-of-the-moment experience for me. It wasn't my decision to be bombarded by a rigid preconception of this movie, I am placing blame where it belongs--the decision to execute an unrelenting media blitz.

The fact that seeing a preview of the plot was such a shocking disappointment was fueled by this same level of over-hyped expectations.

I'm saying that the quality and quantity of media attention created conditions which preclude me being able to give an honest, fair chance to this movie. Again, this wasn't my decision. I am not claiming immunity to the advertsing campaign, I am saying it had consequences they did not intend.
Ok. I'm glad you explained that again, 'cause that's not how I read this:
Quote:
That, and when I actually saw a preview of the movie, it looked dumb. The recently-reformed, reluctant hero fights against impossible odds to save the idyllic utopian society from being destroyed by the military-industrial, shoot-em-up bad guys? Wow. My life won’t be complete until I see how that turns out.