The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Night driving glasses

Years ago, before I wore glasses, I had some yellow shades. IIRC they help at nite, fog and rain. Guess I could have look at a truckstop. I saw some at welding supply other day, maybe safety glasses. All the colors in the spectrom. Didn't ask price. A-holes with their off road lights about blind me.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

check in a motorcycle shop or hunting supply store. I have a couple pairs. They really do work

get these and look like John Goodman

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

They do work well. I got a pair of clip-on style for Twil.

As for those idiots who think driving around with stadium lights is cool, they're a fucking hazard to navigation. It's not you, buster, it's them. It is *wrong*, it's *UNSAFE*, to be driving around with lights powerful enough to cast a shadow of the car they're following when that car has it's own headlights on. There's a picture around here somewhere, I swear to god. My car is relatively low so even marginally out of alignment headlights can be a nuisance. Those fucking death-star, crime-scene rolling illumidiots... dangerous. I've been known to pull over and let those assholes by.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

I need over the glasses kind. Yeah Big v. I came home after being stuck at hoof Dr. office till after dark. Was raining, in 20 mile I counted around abut 12 cars w/1 headlight and one asshole with 8 lights on his , her hi-pickup. My dilated right eye can't go that shit.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Saw those at Walmart, buster. up at the checkout with the as seen on tv stuff. advertised as HD glasses... they are amber tinted
Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks. Jim, I had heard about thoses, looked at Fred's tv junk no had. I'll check at wallys next week.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

yeah, Walmart, check out the sporting goods section AND the seasonal good center aisle.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
They do work well. I got a pair of clip-on style for Twil.

As for those idiots who think driving around with stadium lights is cool, they're a fucking hazard to navigation. It's not you, buster, it's them. It is *wrong*, it's *UNSAFE*, to be driving around with lights powerful enough to cast a shadow of the car they're following when that car has it's own headlights on. There's a picture around here somewhere, I swear to god. My car is relatively low so even marginally out of alignment headlights can be a nuisance. Those fucking death-star, crime-scene rolling illumidiots... dangerous. I've been known to pull over and let those assholes by.
Yeah, it is getting nuts out there.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
dangerous. I've been known to pull over and let those assholes by.
Shake your fist at the sky
Screaming 'Why, oh why?
I need.. to... see, too, guy!'
/Vicariously
Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Pamela
Deplorable

Be aware that driving with tinted lenses after sunset may be illegal in your area too.

I get the problem with too-bright lights too. And I sit much higher than you. There are jerks who drive with their brights on so they can "see better", others don't mean to but forget that towing aims their headlights up higher, blinding oncoming traffic. And then there's the new super bright lights, which annoy me no end, blinding everybody. I close one eye, so my night vision isn't totally ruined and hold up my hand to shade the light until they pass by.

It really helps.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My van had 7" Marchal headlights, that would burn the paint off the car in front at a light. I was always super careful to dim the before the oncoming cars popped up over a hill. Out west I could see those reflectors along the road for over a mile. Anyway, my buddy took it to Florida pulling a trailer with three Harleys on it, and a trucker on the CB told him to back off. he asked how far and the guy says, about a mile.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
busterb
NSABFD

@ Pam. Be aware that driving with tinted lenses after sunset may be illegal in your area too.
They don't enforce any other traffic laws around here, but would be just my luck to get caught for that.
Bruce, I once had an old chevy pickup that I put an aircraft landing light in front bumper.
At idle, switch on and would almost kill engine.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Some people find that they're effective, some don't.

Make sure they are POLARIZED yellow. Tinted lenses don't do jack for glare - only polarized lenses do. You can get regular, clips and "fitovers".
Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks, Spex for that info.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #15
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Thanks, Spex for that info.
My pleasure!