The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #16
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Don't think it doesn't happen in the US, it does, usually maids from South America.

Some of those guys offer comprehensive services to people afterwards to get people on their feet, it varies.
Yeah, we've been using this one on people ever since we started with the chinese and irish.

Quote:
Salves are the least of the problems in Sudan.
I know, I was just practicing my topicality. My point was more that people weren't looking at how to solve the problem, just the symptom.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #17
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Sheesh, yet another reason for someone to look at me cockeyed and say, "There you people go again", or "Why can't you people let the past go", etc. blah blah.

I say that while also saying I do NOT agree with what this man is trying to get away with. He is the lowest of the low on the human scale, and deserved to be whipped and abused in the same manner that he did his son.

[forestgump]"And that's all I have to say about that."[/forestgump]

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

well ... can I claim PTIS (post traumatic indenture syndrome)?

Now, I don't believe this PTSS shit for a second, but .. the basic problem here is that IF this guy were truly channeling some ancestral energy, he would have remembered one or two simple facts ... a slaveowner typically would NOT beat his valuable property to death or the point of death. Dead slaves don't work. Seriously injured slaves don't work and they still have to be fed. It's not economically sensible to do that. It would be doubly foolish to beat a child ... a slave you didn't have to pay for and could resell at a profit was highly prized. One didn't have to train them out of any bad habits like knowing about freedom and such ...

Personally, I think the abuser should be staked out on the public square and be run over by a especially slow steamroller, feet first.

But then I have some strong opinions regarding people who harm children.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
But then I have some strong opinions regarding people who harm children.
And you express them eloquently. That steamroller idea is fantastic. My only concern is that he would be dead well before the job was done. Surely we can make him suffer longer? Perhaps the steamroller bit should be a finale of sorts.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
And you express them eloquently. That steamroller idea is fantastic. My only concern is that he would be dead well before the job was done. Surely we can make him suffer longer? Perhaps the steamroller bit should be a finale of sorts.
Oh I'm all about slow, painful torture to those who clearly deserve it. How about he be riddled with paper cuts, then dipped into rubbing alcohol, and then set on fire?

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've heard (and I have no source to back this up) that being burned to death is actually a reasonable way to go because the nervous system overloads and shuts down long before you die; i.e. no more pain is felt. Anyone with less work to do today care to confirm/repudiate this?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #22
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I've heard (and I have no source to back this up) that being burned to death is actually a reasonable way to go because the nervous system overloads and shuts down long before you die; i.e. no more pain is felt. Anyone with less work to do today care to confirm/repudiate this?
Depends upon the method used. Many of those who die fighting forest fires, for example, go pretty quickly; they die from suffocation from inhaling fire which happens in seconds (I just got through reading a book on the firefighters who died fighting the fire outside Glenwood Springs, Colorado some years back. 14 people died fighting that fire. They all died from aphixiation.)

A slow burning would be true torture, however.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
It is true that the nerve endings are basically completely burned away when you have full thickness 3rd degree burns ... but there are usually combinations of 1st thru 3rd degree on the body. It hurts like hell. All over. Also, I suspect that the same sort of "phantom limb" effect in amputations might occur for serious burn patients as well ... the nerve endings are GONE, but the nerves still transmit some kind of information back to the brain indicating something ain't quite right.

Lingering, semi or fully conscious in that state is not pretty.

The primary causes of death from burn injury are bacterial infection and dehydration.

One study I found showed that 96% of burn injury patients survived to be released from the hospital (That particular study didn't address extent of burn, so may cover everything from ass burns from lighting farts to full body burns).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:45 AM   #24
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Oh my fucking god. Are you guys for real? I can't believe what I've just read. It's like something out of the Nazi handbook, mmmmhhmmmm methods of torture, which one shall we use this time, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Makes you just as bad as the perpetrators you accuse.

I am seriously worried about your states of mind. God forbid this vicious, sadistic, retaliatory attitude is representative of most Americans.

Last edited by Catwoman; 07-09-2004 at 04:10 AM.
Catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:26 AM   #25
jaguar
whig

Never underestimate humanity's ability to find interesting and creative ways to kill each other.

I think if you ran a poll 'Should child molestors be tortured to death' the manjorty of americans would say yes.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:58 AM   #26
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

"Never underestimate humanity's ability to find interesting and creative ways to kill each other."

Can I steal that?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:27 AM   #27
jaguar
whig

With my views in IP it's be hypocritical to say no
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #28
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
I think if you ran a poll 'Should child molestors be tortured to death' the manjorty of americans would say yes.
A far greater majority of Europeans would advocate torture than Americans. After all, Europe embraces its centuries long, rich tradition of brutal torture that would turn the stomach of most Americans. Hell, you Euro types even have torture museums and monuments dedicated to your history of torture. You could fill a library with the books that Europe has published on torture techniques. Nowhere else in the world can such things be found. Europe takes great pride in its history of brutalizing its own citizens.

When it comes to torture and brutality, jag, your European ancestors wrote the book so spare us your self-rightous indignation.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:14 AM   #29
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
And here we have a classic example of PTTS (post traumatic torture syndrome) because Jag has shown imagination in methods of killing people slowly and has European blood in his veins.

Isnt this exactly the point we were making about how flat out ridiculous the PTSD concept is? Since Jag didn't actually do any of the torture, come up with any of the famous devices used and is hundreds of years removed from the time and people who used them, how can he be self-righteous about the torture concept in general?

Besides, Europe doesn't deserve all the credit. Central and South America had (have?) interesting methods of killing people slowly, as well as some of the 'standard' ways, so does Asia and South Asia. Africa's a treat too. Humans are the only animal that can rationalize and take joy in killing its own kind. Torture's as universal as people are.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:21 AM   #30
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Yes, and we were talking about current attitudes, not ancient techniques.