The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

21st Birthday Present

Help! Need ideas...

My son turns 21 next month and I've been wracking my brains trying to think of a birthday present for him. I was going to get him a watch, engraved with his name/initials, but then he had to go and ask for a watch, a specific one, for Christmas.

I would like it to be something durable, a keepsake, useful, and that can be engraved/carved/customized with initials and event.

So far, I've come up with an engraved pen or a leather compartmentalized box with a silver nameplate on it. Oh, and a handy keychain breathalyzer, in the event he decides to take up drinking..

He's responsible, kind, enjoys gaming, traveling, and is fascinated by science and the military. He's health conscious and doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. He is currently unemployed, but looking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Stormie
Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
...He's responsible, kind, enjoys gaming, traveling, and is fascinated by science and the military. He's health conscious and doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. He is currently unemployed, but looking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Stormie
A hooker; a pack of Marlboros and a bottle of Tequila.

People should always try new things.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Engraved shot glasses?

A bong with a monogram?

OK, sorry, I'll be serious.

My parents got me a briefcase for graduation, I guess so I could look official at job interviews.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Some sort of really nice die-cast model of a military plane or boat?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Something scientific and/or military that will be a keepsake: the most expensive telescope you can afford.

Reasoning: a lot of scientific stuff goes cheap after a while, or out of fashion, or is replaced by a newer technology. But the universe will never go away, we hope, and quality optics seem to always be expensive through the years.

If you are looking to spend even more... something scientific and/or military that will be a keepsake, for somebody unemployed right now: his first pilot logbook, and a few lessons at the local flight school.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
glatt

Not a lot of things fit that criteria. A nice engraved pocket knife could be useful.

Traditional style

Or modern
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
glatt

Maybe this is too practical and out there, but at my wedding, we gave the groomsmen Maglite flashlights as gifts. A big Maglite will last forever and can be engraved. Very practical too. Although LEDs may take over that field in the next decade or so.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
A hooker; a pack of Marlboros and a bottle of Tequila.

People should always try new things.
Haha . He actually does have a girlfriend (cute and sexy little thing), had some older kids try to talk him into smoking when he was eleven (he hates the smell) and has tried alcohol, but isn't crazy about the loss of control (and how it makes some people sound/act like idiots).

He is due back on Thu from a cross country driving trip from Florida to L.A. and back again. He's not afraid of new things.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Is there someplace he has always wanted to visit? Maybe plane tickets for him and his gf?

Or maybe a gift cert for them to a really nice restaurant?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
...A nice engraved pocket knife could be useful.
I read this as: "A nice graveyard pocket knife could be useful..."

so. How 'bout a graveyard knife? A nice big one; one that you could use to pry a lid off a coffin or similar.

Or a swashbuckling kit? An eye patch? Peg leg? Day at a Man Spa?

How about a gyro? My dad got me one when I was a little girl. Yes, he got his six year old daughter a working gyro. A gift I've never forgotten. Might be appropriate for your son, though.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I like the flight lessons idea! He'd love that. I'll have to do some pricing.

The pocketknife isn't a bad idea either. I don't know what brand/spec good, quality knives are, however. Any suggestions on what's good?

He's not a briefcase kinda person. He'll dress up, but has to look 'cool' while doing so, and briefcase just ruins the whole look, lol.

The Maglite won't work because he already has a top of the line light. I dunno how many exactly, but it has some mega candle power and is insanely hot/bright. He and his friends play 'manhunt' with it (a very complex game involving night time, cars, hunted, hunters and the spotlights ).

Thanks for the ideas. More...more!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Something scientific and/or military that will be a keepsake: the most expensive telescope you can afford.
Counterpoint: The optics seem to be somewhat stable in price. But they keep loading the scopes up with more electronics. They now have computers that will point the telescope to whatever you want to look at. All you have to do is level it and point it north. What, you don't know which way it north? You don't feel like leveling it? Screw it.. we'll build in a GPS system so you just have to turn it on.

The optics may stay just as good but the electronics will be obsolete. Also, you don't want to buy a scope that's bigger than you're willing to drag out of the house and/or cart around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Although LEDs may take over that field in the next decade or so.
Maglite has started making LEDs. (It's not just about the bulb.. it's about that club-like heft. . . . .)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Yeah Shel, he wants to go to China. I don't think I can afford that.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Buck knives are great.

eta: I did mean gyroscope you realize. Not the gyro sandwich, right?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

brass nautical scope
Prices can range from good to insane.
Historical, collectible, military & scientific, all at once.
And you can say something like "This is to help you envision and chart your future" und so weiter.