The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Talking Stories of making fun bets with your significant other...

We were watching LOST and in the preview of next week's episode they showed the return of a character who was in the show last season.

My girlfriend immediately said "that's Ben's dad!" I was like, no way, that's not the guy that played Ben's dad... that's the asshole guy from the Green Mile. He definitely didn't play Ben's dad on LOST.

We debated and she suddenly said "Want to bet?" (We've been having little bets lately that have been fun.)

So, I actually had a bet in mind. If I was right she had to play Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with me on Xbox Saturday for one hour. If she was right she said I had to clean the apartment with her thoroughly and organize and clean from top to bottom. Your basic military tooth-brush cleaning. I agreed and we shook on it.

Let me tell you... NEVER bet with me. I don't lose. Because my natural inclination is to act like I'm not sure, when inside I know I am. And then you think you will win the bet, because I usually know "everything" - especially trivial TV/Movie stuff. (I did win a car on MTV's Remote Control you know).

Of course I was right and now she has to play co-op RSV2 with me!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I can't see another reason why I would be married.
lol!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know what really sucks? When you're arguing about something that can't be determined for a really long time (like, for example, whether your kid's pajamas will still fit by next winter, thus buying the next size up was or was not a retarded thing to do...)

So to solve this dilemma, you go buy a blank book that you can write down all the long-term bets in, purely for the purpose of going back months or years later and declaring your triumph. You may also choose to label the cover The Book of Right in great big letters, if that's the sort of thing that invigorates your marriage.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

No really...I lost a pool bet to that guy I was dating, a couple of times... Now I'm married.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
You know what really sucks? When you're arguing about something that can't be determined for a really long time (like, for example, whether your kid's pajamas will still fit by next winter, thus buying the next size up was or was not a retarded thing to do...)

So to solve this dilemma, you go buy a blank book that you can write down all the long-term bets in, purely for the purpose of going back months or years later and declaring your triumph. You may also choose to label the cover The Book of Right in great big letters, if that's the sort of thing that invigorates your marriage.
A bummer that I am already very married, and you are already very married and we are so far apart in age and miles and everything else.

Would you go out for coffee with me in a parallel universe though?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

As long as I were allowed to drink something that didn't taste horrible like coffee does, sure.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
euphoriatheory
Sealed for your protection.

Location: New Hampshire. (It's a real state. It's north of Boston.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBsjb View Post
My girlfriend immediately said "that's Ben's dad!" I was like, no way, that's not the guy that played Ben's dad... that's the asshole guy from the Green Mile. He definitely didn't play Ben's dad on LOST.
This is totally irrelevent, but The Green Mile was on TV tonight, which I watched with my husband!! Hooray coincidence!
euphoriatheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My ex (who owed me an amount of money we never quite agreed on) bet me that I couldn't get down to a size 12 (UK) for his birthday. I lost 4 stone in 4 months and got my money.

Fool! Give a woman a place to stand (motivation) and a lever long enough (reward) and she'll move the damn world, baby.

Now, anyone got two grand to bet me this time round?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
As long as I were allowed to drink something that didn't taste horrible like coffee does, sure.
Oddly, when I asked the then future mrs. Foot out "for coffee" she told me she didn't drink coffee. After I explained it was just a figure of speech and she could drink whatever she wanted, she agreed. And the rest is histrionic.