The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Avatar in IMAX (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21652)

Pete Zicato 01-21-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 628650)
Thinking of going this weekend to the IMAX 3D. However, my brother is advising against it. I get motion sickness easily so I'm thinking of not taking the risk of getting dizzy. Avatar in regular theater screen should be good too, right? Anyone seen it NOT in 3D?

I did. I enjoyed it.

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2010 01:16 PM

Just eat lots of anchovies and Limburger before you go. ;)

Tulip 01-21-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 628851)
Just eat lots of anchovies and Limburger before you go. ;)

I almost asked if they're supposed to help reduce motion sickness. :o

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2010 11:19 PM

But you didn't. :thumb:

Madman 01-22-2010 10:52 AM

They sure take movie statistics to a new level these days.

Check out some of the stats they have on Avatar. Looks like they need an entire staff of people to keep track of these things.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Tulip 01-24-2010 12:38 AM

Saw the movie in digital 3D today. Very nice! I ate lunch before going to the movies but didn't eat any anchovies or Limburger. :p I was very surprised how nice the 3D was and was glad that I choose to watch the movie in 3D although I'm sure the regular view would've been nice too.

Flint 06-17-2010 11:47 PM

What the hell kind of stupid evolution causes everything to have two of everything? Was that the most "different" thing they could think of? Giving everything two of everything? You're not usin' your brains! I had some other complaints but I forgot what they were. The font didn't bother me once.

Cloud 06-17-2010 11:54 PM

two of everything? like . . . arms, ears, eyes, legs, sexes?

Flint 06-18-2010 12:22 PM

Everything had multiple PAIRS of eyes, front legs, wings, if I recall correctly. I imagine that they would like to explain this as coming from a common ancestor, but it occurred in so many different types of species that this stupid and pointless feature would have had to survive simultaneously in every type of animal in the world during all the millions of years that they differentiated from some common ancestor that had a useless feature, for some reason, in the first place. Oh, and all the competing lifeforms that didn't waste valuable resources on redundant parts (that add no functionality) would've been more successful and beat out all of the useless, extra-legged animals easily, or at least a majority of the time. There couldn't be a "planet-wide" reason for poor design, it doesn't work that way. Nature doesn't get "cool ideas" the way a graphic designer does.

Also, the flying things had fins on their heads that would've broken their neck if they turned their heads while flying.

Happy Monkey 06-18-2010 04:20 PM

All Earth vertebrates come from an animal with four limbs. The only group that I can think of that doesn't have them anymore is snakes. What bugged me evolution-wise is that the Na'vi didn't have any of the features that the other creatures had (except the brain-tentacles). I guess they're Pandora's version of snakes, except in addition to missing limbs, they lost eyes and breathing-holes too.

Clodfobble 06-18-2010 09:50 PM

I thought at one point they showed the Na'vi breathing holes. But I admittedly wasn't paying much attention.

Urbane Guerrilla 06-28-2010 11:51 AM

There were a LOT of vertebrate body plans on scenic Pandora. Hexapodal and tetrapodal all over the place.

I suppose the reason the antigravity metal didn't get called Cavorite in that universe went something like this at the boardroom:

It's an antigravity mineral that makes useful alloys. It's cavorite!

Nah, the Burroughs estate's legal people object -- and they've got it pretty well sewn up.

Well, shit... what'll we call it then? Unobtainium?

Um... you know that's a materials-science joke, right?

Yeah, yeah. But. Any better ideas?

And on that note, the meeting breaks up.