The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   High School Swim Mom (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25687)

monster 11-19-2011 04:45 PM

.....oh and every single swimmer had one of the miracle suits......

monster 11-19-2011 04:50 PM

SG reported that the two offending groups of parents were more offensive today, although the worst behavior came from the TV crew from Faux News, based right next to our team, who physicaly manhandles the girls trying to get to their races if they were getting in the shot at an inconvenient moment. At least until coaches' husband went to give them what for.

Skyline came in 6th, less than 10 points behins the River Rats. Mercy won but not by much. We took 1, 2 and 4 in the breaststroke :)

infinite monkey 11-19-2011 04:50 PM

Cutthroat at that level, huh?

I'm not surprised. In these parts there is a private Catholic HS, and I know it is nowhere near the level of what you're talking...this is 'small towns surrounded by lots of land' land. But I've seen the level of snobbery and competition that some of the parents exhibit. My friends and I hung out with a few of the guys in HS a couple times. I had a big crush on this guy who had starred in Fiddler on the Roof, and he also ran track so I saw him at meets and invitationals. Turns out, he AND his friends were spoiled little assholes.

Anyway, back to Hebe. She's got 3 more years and a lot of those girls were older, right? To make it to state is so damn amazing, and to do that already! Can you imagine what a contender she's going to be...even more so than now!

I like following along throughout the season, so thanks for keeping us in on it. It's, like, one of the Cellar kids, like one of our virtual 'own' ya know? :)

monster 11-28-2011 01:39 PM

End of Season banquet on Weds. Facebook group going nuts, dress style is "nice/formal" current question is ...."so more homecoming or more church?" neither of which help us one iota. :lol:

SG doesn't care anyway. She usually over-formalizes (floor-length for 8th grade graduation....) :D

Clodfobble 11-29-2011 07:50 AM

Banquets are evening. The teenage equivalent of a cocktail dress, whatever that might be these days. :)

monster 11-29-2011 08:20 AM

For this team they are themed, but this year the theme is "The FirstFarewell" because it's the first year we have girls graduating, so they wanted "formal" but not too formal :rolleyes: whatever. my responsibility is over, I will just clear the plates afterwards :lol:

monster 11-30-2011 09:37 PM

Nominated for two of the 5 big awards: Most Improved and Freshman of The Year.

Won Freshman of the Year and Lettered!

WTG Swimmer Girl, so proud :D

3 hour ceremony though, ouch.

zippyt 11-30-2011 10:29 PM

Rock on SG !!!

Freshman ?? Wounder what the next few years hold ??
Worlds ??
Olympics ??

monster 11-30-2011 10:32 PM

Shoulder injury? :lol:

She starts Winter training (same coach) Monday. No competition, but she will compete with her old team

footfootfoot 11-30-2011 10:56 PM

little wind-up swimming crocodiles would have been more awesome

monster 11-30-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 753831)
2 seconds (35>33) in 50 breast NOW 30.80
3 seconds in 50 fly (33>31) NOW 29.83
2 second in 50 free (29.5>27.5) NOW 26.60

So I thought I'd look back to see my thoughts at the start and I found this post of times dropped in her first meet. the NOW bits, I added tonight to emphasise how much further she has come.

these are not the times we really concentrate on
(real time drops over the season: 100y breast: 1:19 > 1:08, 200 IM 2:35 > 2:18)

but they are the ones that are hardest to improve.

She came a long (and expensive) way.

I thought she might Letter. I had no idea she'd make State Team. I hoped she'd be Freshman of the Year, but you never know who else is coming...

I knew I'd have to buy more suits, more goggles. I never expected the Olympic Level Kneeskin LZR.

I had no idea about the yard signs for State meets.

monster 11-30-2011 11:14 PM

So, seems I forgot to talk about the State Team party. I think coach was a little tipsy and had just learned that the coach of the team at the school SG is zoned for had solicited her over the summer when she found she was going to a different school. She was MAD! I'm not even sure it had really registered with her that SG wasn't forced by zoning to attend that school. But last year, their best/only diver -who was/is awesome and also in the same position as SG defected back to her zoned school and now dives for the river rats. Suddenly, we're getting the red carpet treatment. So funny. (And the "If she's have gone to Huron, she'd be #1 but never have gotten the time drop... speech -we know that.......... but it's funny to hear this suprememly confident amazingly scary awesome swim coach justifying that her team is the best place for SG) :lol:

monster 12-07-2011 08:14 PM

Hmmm. So SG is doing winter technique with coach. She is also doing High School Girls Water Polo (Rec and Ed course) with the Huron team. See her very presence there and the fact it's through rec and Ed makes it not illegal early training...... ;).........

Coach is OK with her doing both. But apparently, whicle she's "perfectly OK" with SG playing water polo in Season 3 -after all coach's daughter does it- she wants us to be very aware that taking a season off from swimming is going to set her back a long long way..........(in other words don't). It is flattering that this means she thinks SG has great potential, but SG (rightly IMO) told her "stuff it, I'm playing anyway" She said she's given up so many spoorts to swim, this seems like fun and she'll regret not doing it. Go SG.

Also, Varsity Jackets cost $300. There are three places we can get them from. The Official University of Michigan Supplier, a mid-range fanwear store, and an allgedly discount sporting goods store. All charge $300 for Varsity Jackets, though...... :eek:

BigV 12-07-2011 10:27 PM

I loved water polo from back in the day, SG will have a wonderful time. It can be a seriously aggressive sport, the refs can't really see everything that happens below the surface. And swimming for a long time at 10/10ths with no wall or bottom to rest on.. that is a helluva workout. It's gonna be great.

monster 12-11-2011 08:36 PM

Varsity jacket ordered :eek:

email sent to coach saying "fuck you, she's playing polo anyway" :eek: :eek:

:lol: