The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Griff 10-22-2010 08:38 PM

Sorry man that does suck.

zippyt 10-22-2010 08:49 PM

Hang tough Syc !!

And dana I agree with Footz , Kick Paco in the taco !!!!!
Med Board review ??
Sue for malpractice or Professional incompetency ??

Or Have Uncle Vito go have a Little TALk with said Dr!!

DanaC 10-23-2010 05:34 AM

*nods*

Not sure quite what's going to happen on that score.

I know when Uncle Dave died there was talk of taking legal action, but Auntie Joan and the kids didn't want to get imbroiled in something that could potentially drag on and be very upsetting.

Not helped by the fact that the last time we took issue with the NHS it was a nightmare. Mum was in her final year of Nurse training and was told by a ward sister to lift a heavily disabled patient alone: totally did her back in, destroyed her career (six months in traction and permanent damage) and left her unable to work full-time for many years. Even with her union funding legal assistance, it took 13 years to get an apology and compensation. (22k for a destroyed career and 13 years of fighting) Every other year she'd have to have another medical exam, because the previous results had gone missing. The staff involved, including the ward sster were all transferred elsewhere and became difficult to locate. etc etc. Obstruction, nastiness and all round dishonesty.

So...I don't know what's going to happen this time. The problem is with stuff like this, and the reason so few people actually take action, is that it's always during a time when families are dealing with deeply emotional and traumatic events. The time when they're least able/willing to take on a difficult and distressing legal journey.

morethanpretty 10-23-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 689910)
*nods*

Not sure quite what's going to happen on that score.

I know when Uncle Dave died there was talk of taking legal action, but Auntie Joan and the kids didn't want to get imbroiled in something that could potentially drag on and be very upsetting.

Not helped by the fact that the last time we took issue with the NHS it was a nightmare. Mum was in her final year of Nurse training and was told by a ward sister to lift a heavily disabled patient alone: totally did her back in, destroyed her career (six months in traction and permanent damage) and left her unable to work full-time for many years. Even with her union funding legal assistance, it took 13 years to get an apology and compensation. (22k for a destroyed career and 13 years of fighting) Every other year she'd have to have another medical exam, because the previous results had gone missing. The staff involved, including the ward sster were all transferred elsewhere and became difficult to locate. etc etc. Obstruction, nastiness and all round dishonesty.

So...I don't know what's going to happen this time. The problem is with stuff like this, and the reason so few people actually take action, is that it's always during a time when families are dealing with deeply emotional and traumatic events. The time when they're least able/willing to take on a difficult and distressing legal journey.

You mean your country has a problem with too LITTLE people willing to sue for malpractice? From what the right-wingers tell me, ours has way to many sue-happy lawyers.
(Sorry for the political BS, I'll stop now. Just recently my mom has been all whiny about lawyers/suing being evil and I'm losing it a little.

OK, now I'm done.)

I am really sorry that this has happened to y'all Dana.

morethanpretty 10-23-2010 07:08 AM

Syc, fuck cancer. I hope the divorce doesn't get too unpleasant.
Overall, I hope things get better for you.

You broke your leg right? (Too lazy to read back to be sure.) How is that doing?

Pete Zicato 10-25-2010 02:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Syc. Bad shit does have a way of piling up.

I hope next year is better.

Pete Zicato 10-28-2010 01:33 PM

Today is the one year anniversary of my Mom dying.

Shawnee123 10-28-2010 01:34 PM

I'm sorry Pete. :(

Beest 10-28-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 680101)
Second guessing medical diagnosis rather than just going to the doctor because of the expense :greenface

I am going to the doctor this time, becasue monster was worried, I probably would have 'wait and see'd myself to a burst appendix.

Griff 10-28-2010 08:15 PM

Sorry Pete.

monster 10-28-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 691185)
I am going to the doctor this time, becasue monster was worried, I probably would have 'wait and see'd myself to a burst appendix.

that's right, blame me.......... :rolleyes:

xoxoxoBruce 10-28-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 691222)
that's right, blame me.......... :rolleyes:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :headshake

monster 10-28-2010 10:09 PM

nah... not a bad thing... just gets added to the account......

Griff 10-30-2010 04:28 PM

The Dad of one of my little people has a restraining order against him. He is a Vet suffering from PTSD and is a damn funny good guy, but isn't in control right now. It just sucks.

Undertoad 10-30-2010 06:03 PM

1) Guitarist finds wife is going totally batshit crazy (diagnosed bipolar, off meds, was 5150d 2 years ago).

2) Guitarist finally can't take it any longer and separates with intent to divorce.

3) Ex-wife uses all powers at her disposal to make life shitty for guitarist.

4) Guitarist who has no job and no money, then has his car taken by ex-wife. Now renting a room with nothing but his UI check, cannot get any level of custody of children.

5) Ex-wife now begins to make life shitty for 16 yo son and 13 yo daughter, as a way to "get back" at guitarist. She churns endlessly at the situation and creates fake dramas to take out her anger at the kids.

6) Today we're driving back from afternoon gig and guitarist gets a call from 13yo, in tears, announces that the 16yo son has attempted suicide and is in hospital and "stable".

7) As we drive steadily back, after an hour he gets another call, this time from his 19yo. Story goes: last night the 16yo asked, via txt, to have his girlfriend in the house. Ex-wife txts back no. 16yo responds with annoyance. Ex-wife txts back that he will be put in military school. 16yo txts back that he might as well kill himself. Ex-wife calls 911 and tells cops that son has threatened suicide. The cops remove him to the local hospital for evaluation. The 13yo did not know the full story because ex-wife did not tell her.

Guitarist is near the end of his rope. He says he feels like he's watching his children drowning in the ocean, and there's nothing he can do to save them.

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2010 06:44 PM

That's why we see these amber alerts for fathers taking off with their children. Everybody wonders what's wrong with the guy, why would he do such a thing. Since the Family Courts view the fathers as simply a cash flow, he's got no chance of them listening to his worries about the welfare of the children. :mad:

Sundae 10-31-2010 08:04 AM

Sorry to be so slow catching up on sorrows.

Dani, that scenario is all too common.
Nanny was only taken seriously when she lost the use of her arm completely.
She was immediately taken to hospital, the tumour was discovered after days of tests and she went from there to the hospice and from the hospice back home to die.
The same happened to my Mum's close friend, B. She had a lively chocolate Lab (a foolish gift for such a tiny woman) and her back and shoulder pains were blamed on walking him - to be fair he was pretty much out of control. Nope, it was galloping cancer, diagnosed too late for much help. She lasted longer than Nanny, but that was scant comfort to her family as she was much younger.

I'm so sorry about your Auntie. My love to you and yours.

And to everyone else suffering - esp the guitarist, who seems to be in a world of spiteful hurt for which he is blameless.

DanaC 11-15-2010 06:24 PM

Auntie Stella (aka 'my other mother') died this morning, 5 weeks and two days after she was diagnosed with cancer.

I'm not distraught. She hasn't been so much a part of my day to day life in recent years. But I am saddened. Particularly for Mum and Jaqs and Uncle Ron: the three remaining siblings. And especially for Rachie, the youngest daughter (31), whose sister and brother are so far away at this time when she really needs them. And for Shirls and Ste: who are so far away when they need to be close.

I went to see her on Thursday. First time I'd seen her in about two years. Was bit shocking really.

Ach damn. What a strange thing death is.

There's loads more I want to say, and probably will at some point. Mainly about stuff that's angered or frustrated us. But having just spent two and half hours trying to decode and then grade my undergrad's 'article review' assignments, I have lost the capacity to make coherent points :P

Anyway. Please raise a glass to Auntie Stella: kind, strong, and a damn good laugh.

Griff 11-15-2010 06:38 PM

Sorry D. :sniff:

fuck cancer

xoxoxoBruce 11-15-2010 07:50 PM

Not a glass, just a can, but it is done. :(

DanaC 11-16-2010 07:30 PM

Thanks guys. *smiles*

Clodfobble 11-16-2010 09:31 PM

Sorry, Dana. Give your mom a hug from all of us.

monster 11-17-2010 07:22 PM

The little shit that's tormenting my kid at school

Gravdigr 11-19-2010 01:49 PM

What's upsetting me today?

My best friend died four years ago yesterday. And I completely missed it. I don't know that ever did anything but sit around and talk about ppl, play video games, BBQ, and laugh our asses off. We did manage to smoke an incredible amount of pot. If laughter makes you live longer, I thought we would both live forever. But, alas...he was 36.:sniff:

Fuck pills.

classicman 11-19-2010 02:22 PM

Sorry - Digr - I think we've all lost someone to those damn pills.
Oxy is a really dangerous thing to mess with.

Gravdigr 11-19-2010 02:26 PM

Who said 'oxy'?:eyebrow:

classicman 11-19-2010 02:56 PM

me. I assumed that was the pill you were referring to. sorry.

fo0hzy 11-20-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 695165)
My best friend died four years ago yesterday...

..We did manage to smoke an incredible amount of pot.

Sorry for your loss.

My best friend was murdered in '98. Over pot and his disability money. His body was found in Thornapple river three weeks later.

Yay marijuana.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2010 02:47 AM

That wasn't the pot's fault. If they'd smoked it, the only thing murdered would be fritos.

fo0hzy 11-20-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 695245)
That wasn't the pot's fault. If they'd smoked it, the only thing murdered would be fritos.

That's one way of looking at it.

Or you could say he was beaten near to death for his pot and the robbery was secondary (fact - from court transcripts), and he was dumped into the river and left to drown.

But yeah, pot is a victimless drug.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2010 03:28 AM

Lots of people are killed for cars, jewelry, cash, and hundreds of other possessions. Are the possessions to blame? That's as much of a stretch as saying it was their own fault for having possessions.

Trilby 11-20-2010 04:19 AM

wow - I am sorry for everyones losses here - lots of sorrow around. :comfort: and :flower: to you all.

Interesting side note - John of God ("healer" in Brazil) says the Entities (spirits who possess him and heal others) hate pot - makes a persons aura all dense and red and hard to read - they say it takes about a year to clear the aura of a pot smoker. I never thought about auras and how drugs/liquor would mess with them. Some guy names Dr. Moody wrote a book about his near death experience and he had lots to say about alcoholics and the spirits that possess them when they are drinking (no pun intended) - some very interesting stuff.

DanaC 11-20-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

I never thought about auras and how drugs/liquor would mess with them.
Possibly because the auras don't exist?

monster 11-20-2010 08:05 AM

harsh

footfootfoot 11-20-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 695258)
Possibly because the auras don't exist?

Nothing exists if you can't perceive it.
cf germs in the 18th C.

Trilby 11-20-2010 09:38 AM

just a sidenote. If you're not into it - no biggie. Just an interesting thing I read.

DanaC 11-20-2010 10:17 AM

Wasn't intended to be harsh. Just a flippant remark.

DanaC 11-20-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 695293)
Nothing exists if you can't perceive it.
cf germs in the 18th C.

yeah...but some say they can perceive auras.

Spexxvet 11-20-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 695178)
me. I assumed that was the pill you were referring to. sorry.

Don't you know that you snort oxy? God!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 695257)
makes a persons aura all dense and red and hard to read

That's why I used to get high - I don't like people reading my aura. I feel all naked when they do. ;)

monster 11-20-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 695299)

can you prove that they can't?

Trilby 11-20-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 695299)

;)

My aura is all purple-y turquois green!

What's yours??

DanaC 11-20-2010 01:06 PM

Black and shot through with livid green:P

Gravdigr 11-20-2010 03:43 PM

RFN, my aura prolly looks Xmas tree green, and smells kinda like Xmas tree, too. And hazy.

fo0hzy 11-20-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 695250)
Lots of people are killed for cars, jewelry, cash, and hundreds of other possessions. Are the possessions to blame? That's as much of a stretch as saying it was their own fault for having possessions.

Yeah, I know. Someone might get mad over the way I use a period (.) and hunt me down.

You never know.

BTW: (.)(.)

ZenGum 11-20-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fo0hzy (Post 695396)
Yeah, I know. Someone might get mad over the way I use a period (.) and hunt me down.

That will be me.

and when I :shotgun: you will understand why I call it a "full stop". :D

There have been (crude) tests of people who claim to see auras, based on the claim that they extend beyond the body. Put a screen that hides the body, and ask the seer to locate the auras. Seen it once on video. Total fail.

Until better evidence comes along, I don't believe in auras.

fo0hzy 11-20-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 695407)
I don't believe in auras.

Forget auras...

Chilbolton FTW, eh

Griff 11-21-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 695276)
harsh

...but funny. :) I was going to say the same thing but don't tell anyone.

footfootfoot 11-21-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 695407)
That will be me.

and when I :shotgun: you will understand why I call it a "full stop". :D

There have been (crude) tests of people who claim to see auras, based on the claim that they extend beyond the body. Put a screen that hides the body, and ask the seer to locate the auras. Seen it once on video. Total fail.

Until better evidence comes along, I don't believe in auras.

You are conflating the claim "auras exist" with "people can see auras"

Sort of like saying Vegans exist even though you can't (or barely, at any rate) see them.

DanaC 11-21-2010 09:09 AM

I love the way vegans have become the yardstick for unprovable existence.

footfootfoot 11-21-2010 09:31 AM

Wait until we get to the chapter about Vegan Auras!

Trilby 11-21-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 695459)
Wait until we get to the chapter about Vegan Auras!

I'll bet they're all compassionate green!

footfootfoot 11-21-2010 01:05 PM

The carrots wouldn't think them so compassionate.

Gravdigr 11-21-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fo0hzy (Post 695396)
BTW: (.)(.)

No, no, no. It's ( . v . ) or :ggw:.

:D

monster 12-03-2010 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with the lurgy. I never get sick and this weekend is definitely not convenient. or alterable.

Nirvana 12-05-2010 10:12 PM

The main line from the box to my water heater has a short gahhhhhhh! :thepain:

Shawnee123 12-06-2010 11:13 AM

Could you get a gahhhhhhh lengthener? ;)

Refrigerator died. FML. I've always wondered what it would be like to be those kind of people who can just go out and get new major appliances when they need to. So, what's that like?

Life really sucks in a thousand different ways.

Pico and ME 12-06-2010 11:28 AM

You might be able to find a used one for cheap, Shawnee. Check out Craigs list. Put in an ad saying you're looking for one.

Shawnee123 12-06-2010 11:31 AM

Yeah, I think you're right. I did a quick check on Craig's list last week, just need to find a time when my male friends can help me out (not only with transporting it but also because I don't want to show up at a stranger's house alone.)

I just need to coordinate it...maybe this next weekend.

Shawnee123 12-06-2010 11:36 AM

Does anyone know why the fridge part would stop working but the freezer part would work intermittently?