The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   APB: Cellarites missing. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8771)

footfootfoot 09-23-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casimendocina (Post 684356)
Driving, flying or some other form of transport? Camping or more salubrious accommodation? Have you been before? Are you going to Kata Tjuta as well? (stupid question-you can't not go being so close and I reckon they're almost even more spectacular than the Rock itself). Are you climbing the Rock or observing the wishes of the original inhabitants? Hmmm, how many other annoying questions can I think of?:D

Are you going to try to photograph the sites of gender-linked rituals?

Aliantha 09-23-2010 05:35 PM

There was Wolf Creek. That was set in central outback Australia. If you haven't seen it and you like gruesome movies, I recommend it. It's even worse for the fact that it's based on a true story.

HungLikeJesus 09-23-2010 05:58 PM

Yes, Wolf Creek. That was good.

Aliantha 09-23-2010 06:00 PM

I regret having seen it actually. Some fo the scenes are still stuck in my sub conscious and pop up every now and then.

Here's a scarey fact too. My family and I visited that meteor crater when travelling through central Australia when I was a kid.

ZenGum 09-24-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 684220)
Bring back a rock for me. ;)

Not on your nellie, sir. (a) removing rocks from national park, (b) rude to Aboriginal people and (c) too many stories about people having a lot of bad luck after doing that - allegedly rangers regularly receive pebbles in the mail from people trying to return them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by casimendocina (Post 684356)
Driving, flying or some other form of transport? Camping or more salubrious accommodation? Have you been before? Are you going to Kata Tjuta as well? (stupid question-you can't not go being so close and I reckon they're almost even more spectacular than the Rock itself). Are you climbing the Rock or observing the wishes of the original inhabitants? Hmmm, how many other annoying questions can I think of?:D

Driving. Camping or cheaper hotels. Got six days in the Red Centre so I will see Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kings Canyon and spend three days in the Western Macdonnells, maybe some hiking near Ormiston Gorge. I won't climb Uluru but I will walk around it, and I maybe do a hot air balloon ride or something. Lots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 684422)
And more to the point, when you speak of it, do you refer to it as Uluru or Ayers?

Uluru. That is the acid-test for Aussies on the Redneck / Pinko-greenie axis. That and climbing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 684473)
Are you going to try to photograph the sites of gender-linked rituals?

No. See above. And I had a student in Japan who had taken some film photos of some of the sacred places before he knew they were sacred. When he got home he found that this roll of film had somehow become exposed and was completely black. :eyebrow:

My main thought here is that there has been far too much gratuitous insult (on top of injuries) offered to Aboriginal people in this country, I'm not going to add to it.

DucksNuts 09-24-2010 04:56 AM

You'll have a ball, Zen!! We road tripped up there a couple years back and I love it.

I could live in Alice....actually, one of my mates is a nurse there and it was one of the places I considered when I made this move...I cant wait to go visit him there.

My advice would be DONT STAY AT COBER PEDY!!!!!

And dont watch Wolf Creek before making the journey, Im with Ali, I watched that one my own and scenes pop into my head from it....I cant look at the dude from Playschool the same ever again.

casimendocina 09-24-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 684616)

My advice would be DONT STAY AT COOBER PEDY!!!!!

On the contrary, DO stay at Coober Pedy, (but only if you're going to stay in a dug-out) and visit the underground churches.

If you're heading further north than Alice (obviously not, just wanted to put my two unrelated cents worth in), avoid Tennant Creek.

ZenGum 09-24-2010 06:27 AM

Hmmm ... was planning to split the drive in Coober Pedy, it is about half way. It's 1578 km to Uluru and 847 to CP. Motel in town on a Friday evening, maybe visit a pub or two ... :hide:

TheMercenary 09-24-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 684607)
Not on your nellie, sir. (a) removing rocks from national park, (b) rude to Aboriginal people and (c) too many stories about people having a lot of bad luck after doing that - allegedly rangers regularly receive pebbles in the mail from people trying to return them.

That happens on the Big Island, Hawaii all the time as well. The museum there is filled with the rocks and the letters from the people who returned them.

footfootfoot 09-24-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

No. See above. And I had a student in Japan who had taken some film photos of some of the sacred places before he knew they were sacred. When he got home he found that this roll of film had somehow become exposed and was completely black. :eyebrow:

My main thought here is that there has been far too much gratuitous insult (on top of injuries) offered to Aboriginal people in this country, I'm not going to add to it.

I know you wouldn't, I was practicing my sarcasm.

ZenGum 09-24-2010 07:35 AM

I can't help but wonder if the rangers made the whole thing up to stop people from stealing rocks.

TheMercenary 09-24-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 684641)
I can't help but wonder if the rangers made the whole thing up to stop people from stealing rocks.

It is the real deal in Hawaii.

I think. :rolleyes:

:3eye:

Spexxvet 09-24-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Did any of see/like/get scared by Silent Hill?

ZenGum 09-24-2010 07:42 AM

Merc, is this connected to what happened to the Brady bunch with that Tiki thing?

ZenGum 09-24-2010 07:44 AM

Spexx, I'm scared by Peter Garret's dancing. He's now a (junior) federal minister, despite having been in charge of the most bungled of our stimulus projects.