The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

monster 06-02-2014 10:13 PM

I just watched The Story Of Luke on Netflix.

I cried.

a little.

go figure.

never heard of it before but apparently it's IMDB rating is 7.3 so I guess I'm not alone.

glatt 06-03-2014 07:56 AM

MY wife got us started watching Friday Night Lights about a month ago. I remember when this was on TV. I'd flip by and it looked stupid. But it's not so bad. We're half way through season 5 of 6. Like so many drama TV series, it's just a well done prime time soap opera.

I like the idea of finding an old show and doing a marathon viewing for a few weeks.

wolf 06-05-2014 10:56 AM

Ender's Game was far better than I expected, even if the kids were too old.

Riddick. Oh yeah!

wolf 06-05-2014 10:57 AM

Finished streaming all of Inspector Lewis.

Wish all of Inspector Morse was available for prime/netflix.

infinite monkey 06-05-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 900575)
MY wife got us started watching Friday Night Lights about a month ago. I remember when this was on TV. I'd flip by and it looked stupid. But it's not so bad. We're half way through season 5 of 6. Like so many drama TV series, it's just a well done prime time soap opera.

I like the idea of finding an old show and doing a marathon viewing for a few weeks.

Agreed. That's what I did with Breaking Bad, and up to current Walking Dead. You have to be careful of accidentally hearing spoilers though. I've also watched Six Feet Under and Sopranos all the way through on DVD, though I'd seen all but the last season of Sopranos when it was on HBO.

So, in light of that, I just finished the first season of The Wire. It is really good, as I'd heard, but I initially had a hard time keeping all the players straight and figuring out the meaning of a lot of the lingo,of both the drug dealers and the cops. Looking forward to Season 2 though, I'm pretty into it now.

DanaC 06-05-2014 11:54 AM

Oh I really loved series 1 of the Wire. I fell off it during series 2 though. Might go back and rewatch!

You know the actor who plays McNulty is English right? Also Stringer Bell.

glatt 06-05-2014 12:08 PM

The Wire is interesting because it jumps around Baltimore telling the same grand story from different points of view in the city, finally bringing it all together in the final season.

I think season 2 is the one that takes place down at the docks. It's an abrupt change, but stay with it.

Gravdigr 06-05-2014 01:44 PM

Sat in on "Lone Survivor" the other night. I think Wahlberg spends about ⅝ of the movie in mid-air, falling. And another ⅛ bouncing off rocks/cliffs he has just fallen onto.

All in all, I give it a 6 out of 10.

infinite monkey 06-05-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 900831)
Oh I really loved series 1 of the Wire. I fell off it during series 2 though. Might go back and rewatch!

You know the actor who plays McNulty is English right? Also Stringer Bell.

And they're both GORGEOUS! Dominic West has that sumpin' sumpin' je ne sais quoi thing that makes me say "well, hello there!" ;)

I knew they had referred to McNulty as Irish in the first ep. I wasn't sure his nationality because he's got the dark hair and eyes.

Two of the actors were in Oz, too. Seth Gilliam (Ellis Carver on The Wire) played the rogue guard Clayton Hughes, and J.D. Williams (Bodie on The Wire) played inmate Kenny "Bricks" Wangler. Great acting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 900833)
The Wire is interesting because it jumps around Baltimore telling the same grand story from different points of view in the city, finally bringing it all together in the final season.

I think season 2 is the one that takes place down at the docks. It's an abrupt change, but stay with it.

Yes, I saw on the back of the season 2 box that McNulty is now on Harbor Patrol. When I took it up to pay for it, the young man working said "YEAH!" and I told him I'd just seen the first season and I was loving it. He said it's one of his favorites, that not enough people see it, and he thinks the 2nd season is the best.

I told him "I kind of live for this stuff" and he says "I know, right?" :) I love the young folks. I could be one, if it weren't for my age. :lol:

BigV 06-05-2014 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 900575)
snip--

one of the best things about Netflix and Roku, binge viewing. They know it too:

Attachment 47980

Clodfobble 06-05-2014 10:52 PM

I can't remember what season it is, but there's an episode where McNulty goes "undercover" with a Brit accent, and they all tell him it's terrible and completely unbelievable. Funny stuff.

We just watched episode 1 of Sherlock season 3 tonight. Excellent.

Gravdigr 06-08-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 900853)
I wasn't sure his nationality because he's got the dark hair and eyes.

That's racist. Or nationalist. Or nationist. It's somethingist, I know that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 900853)
I love the young folks. I could be one, if it weren't for my age. :lol:

You had your chance.

:p:

Gravdigr 06-08-2014 05:57 PM

Watched the new 'Robocop' the other night. 5 outta 10.

wolf 06-09-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 901094)
Watched the new 'Robocop' the other night. 5 outta 10.

Given that the original was 10/10 for me, I'm not surprised.

I watched Thor Dark World. Not bad.

wolf 06-19-2014 12:17 AM

Dear netflix,

"Are All Men Pedophiles?" is really, really creepy. It's like an hour long PSA for pedophiles.