The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tales from the Nuthouse: Lest You Think I have a Really Cool Job (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8080)

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2009 01:31 AM

Hmmm.... OK, he's nuts. So instead of letting fly to the country of his choice we've got to take care of him? :confused:
Hell, we drove him nuts, isn't that enough?

Cicero 03-26-2009 02:18 PM

"Nuts"...... I am tired of your use of professional jargon. You know you act like you are talking over my head, and you are not..;)

where are the fnords 03-26-2009 02:36 PM

indeed one-way airfare is much cheaper then one of those fancy padded hotel rooms

TheMercenary 03-27-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 549522)
Hmmm.... OK, he's nuts. So instead of letting fly to the country of his choice we've got to take care of him? :confused:
Hell, we drove him nuts, isn't that enough?

Eh, let him go home. Just don't let him come back.

wolf 03-28-2009 12:59 PM

Several years ago the case manager of a man who believed himself to be the Prince of Korea called me in a panic.

Case Manager: But, but, but ... he's flying to Korea tonight!! We have to stop him!! He will be in violation of his outpatient commitment!!

wolf: How much time does he have left on the commitment?

Case Manager: Maybe two, three weeks?

wolf: And up until now, how compliant with his outpatient commitment has he been?

Case Manager: I think he came to one appointment at the beginning.

wolf: And this was a 90-day commitment, right?

Case Manager: Right.

wolf: Well, since he hasn't complied with the outpatient commitment for the last 60 or 70 days, why are you suddenly so concerned about the last few?

Case Manager: uh.

wolf: Besides. He's going to be in another country. He's not your problem there, right? Unless your boss is sending you to Seoul with him?

Case Manager: oh.

wolf: Call me back if you actually need anything.

ZenGum 03-29-2009 01:24 AM

I sooooo want to know how that turned out. Did Prince Nutso Fly to Korea? Did he claim the Throne? Then what ....?

xoxoxoBruce 03-29-2009 01:27 AM

yes and yes... his name is Kim Jong-il. ;)

wolf 03-29-2009 10:17 AM

Bruce is probably right. We have a saying at work, "There is no crazy like Korean crazy."

Something about being from such a straight-laced and reserved culture, I guess. When they go nuts, they approach it with the same vigor and initiative that they do mathematics, the violin, and retail management.

Haven't see the Prince in a number of years, he may, in fact have gone back. Or he died and nobody bothered to tell us, which happens a lot. Crazy people don't usually get nice obituaries.

One of my patients did get a nice obituary. Although they'd had nothing to do with him while he was alive, this one guy's family made sure that he got a really nice send-off. The notice in the paper contained the usual list of glowing achievements, although, admittedly, his list was pretty short. I forget if it said he died of a heart attack or a long illness. Both are correct, if you count chronic alcoholism as a long illness.

Anyway, the notice mentioned that he loved "Hiking and camping." This is also absolutely true. He never owned a car and had to walk everywhere, and often slept under the bridge, or snuggled up to a bush in the park.

limey 03-30-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 550692)
...When they go nuts, they approach it with the same vigor and initiative that they do mathematics, the violin, and retail management ...

:lol2:

dar512 03-30-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Anyway, the notice mentioned that he loved "Hiking and camping." This is also absolutely true. He never owned a car and had to walk everywhere, and often slept under the bridge, or snuggled up to a bush in the park.

Were any of the relatives in marketing?

lookout123 03-30-2009 05:12 PM

Nah, politics.

wolf 08-14-2009 12:20 AM

Sometimes, the evenings are pretty horrifying. Mostly by the mere density of the caseload.

Tonight we had that and an extra treat.

It was like Groundhog Day.

Really.

Not once, but twice, in the same interview room

TWO women urinated and smeared menstrual blood.

TWO.

Okay, to be fair, the first one was worse, because she also took a dump and used the resulting production as an additional art supply.

All over the room.

Walls, floor, door, windows.

She also made a little collage out of the contents of an entire box of tissues. Luckily it was one of those tiny hospital boxes. She made a peace sign, the word cry, and a bunch of other things we couldn't figure out. She was apparently writing a letter.

The first one I got to assist into the shower. She wasn't terribly cooperative. Go figure.

In retrospect, we realize that we should have taken a picture of the damage to the first room and submitted it for a photo contest that is underway. Unfortunately we didn't have this idea until after Environmental Services had done a very good job of deconning the area.

The lobby still smells like shit, though.

xoxoxoBruce 08-14-2009 12:34 AM

One of those shitty days, huh. :(

ZenGum 08-14-2009 05:31 AM

That would win a major art prize for sure. All you need is a completely unrelated title.

No, the photo would not do. You would need to recreate the room exactly as she made it, in the gallery. You'll need a grant, of course. Fill out this form... no, stop writing with shit.

casimendocina 08-16-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

"There is no crazy like Korean crazy."

Something about being from such a straight-laced and reserved culture, I guess. When they go nuts, they approach it with the same vigor and initiative that they do mathematics, the violin, and retail management.

Anyone seen pictures of any other nationality throwing chairs at each other in Parliament, not once, but twice, in the last few years!?