The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Political compass II (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8515)

Undertoad 04-01-2009 04:46 PM

Yknow what would be interesting: we could start a section for PC, where each thread is a voting thread, the votes are the PC settings, the votes are public, the votes can be changed by the voters, and then the discussion is what it is.

I mean, if people were into something like that.

It would really piss a lot of people off.

lookout123 04-01-2009 04:50 PM

I'm into discussing things and pissing people off but I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of what you're describing. Can you dumb it down for me some more?

Undertoad 04-01-2009 05:10 PM

Well, like, under Cellar Meta, maybe, we could have a section called "Political Compass", and in there we could post threads where the subject is each question in the P.C. Like the first one would be

Subject: If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Then that thread would have a poll
  • Strongly Disagree
  • Disagree
  • Agree
  • Strongly Agree
And when you have a poll in a thread, when you start the poll, you can set up whether the results are visible to all. (Or maybe it'd be more interesting to have it anonymous?)

And can change your vote as long as the poll is OPEN, so we could just leave it open, or maybe leave it open for a while.

And then, there would be discussion, and people would have to like defend their positions, or people would have things they wanted to defend, or encourage others to vote like them

And maybe if it all worked we would post a "Cellar PC" results graphing everybody's final answer and the Cellar's voting result

Either that or there would be such fury that it would lead to the burning of fiber optic cables.

Or maybe people wouldn't give a shit and the thing would limp along until useless. I can't tell.

lookout123 04-01-2009 05:34 PM

Yeah, that sounds fun. I was being dumb thinking you wanted a fullon survey that interactively displayed the political compass of the cellar as we argued... however that would work.

yeah, your idea sounds fun. and possible. and fun.

TheMercenary 04-01-2009 05:52 PM

I've pissed off enough people around here, I would be very reluctant to participate.

wolf 04-01-2009 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hmmm. I've wobbled a bit left. Perhaps it's the Vicoden?

April 2009

Economic Left/Right: 7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.79

January 2008

Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.85

June 2005

Economic Left/Right: 5.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.97

November 2002

Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Shawnee123 04-01-2009 07:36 PM

I wonder where Dr. House would land on this graph. :)

Tiki 04-01-2009 08:19 PM

http://www.politicalcompass.org/face...3.00&soc=-4.72
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

TheMercenary 04-02-2009 10:26 AM

As I have thought about this I may have wobbled left because of the way the questions were worded. A number had extreme statements which made me chose agree or disagree without "strongly". I felt by the end I was reading into the questions and had a very hard time accepting the more extreme statements.

Tiki 04-02-2009 12:28 PM

I felt the same way about a lot of the questions. They kind of forced you to choose a bias, by virtue of being extreme, absolute statements.

Happy Monkey 04-02-2009 03:40 PM

http://cellar.org/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=26

Jill 04-03-2009 10:52 AM

Me, Gandhi and the Dalai Lama walk into a bar. . .

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

I really like the distribution on this forum. It's nice to have so many compatriots, but equally nice to have a balanced viewpoint represented, as well.

sugarpop 04-05-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 551954)
I took this quiz again and was not surprised at my results, not only because I know I'm pretty liberal but also because I think you'd have to work really hard to get a "middle of the road" chart. I mean, there are no middle of the road questions.

To me, the questions lie on both ends of the extreme, for example:

I think that people who steal bubblegum should be tied to a bee hive, have their eyes stabbed out with an icepick, and their fingers cut off to prevent this unrepentent person, who can never be rehabilitated, from ever menacing society again.

Or:

I think we are all happy butterflies and are free and loved and everyone deserves love and compassion and lollipops.

I mean seriously, what issues did you pick as completely "left and under" that balanced out your extremely "right and over" responses to land so nicely in the middle?

It didn't really allow you to answer, maybe, or it depends on the situation, or neutral, so it is flawed, like all tests of this type are.

Tiki 04-06-2009 02:11 PM

I felt that a lot of the questions really needed an "it depends" option.

sugarpop 04-10-2009 12:29 PM

yes, because every situation is different.