The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Wildlife, living next to nature (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29992)

Gravdigr 09-09-2015 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Momdigr's wascally wabbit. At my feet.

Attachment 53331

Weird angle is due to Pete being on his hind legs, directly under the camera.

fargon 09-09-2015 05:24 PM

Here comes Peter Cottontail hoppin' down the bunny trail.
I don't know how to make those musical notes, Oh Well.

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2015 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Gravdigr 09-12-2015 01:53 PM

Hah!

Buffalo wings!!!

Gravdigr 09-15-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 936299)
Remember this little fella?

He took a grape out of Momdigr's hand yesterday.

She said "I just about squealed!".

:D

Got it on video the other day:

She's worked on that wabbit for a good couple months, and, now, he comes to us when we don't even know he's around. Just happen to look down, there's a wabbit at your ankle.

I named him Pete. Not after Peter Cottontail, but, after Pete Hogwallop in "O, Brother Where Art Thou?".

Quote:

'Course it's Pete. Look at 'im.

xoxoxoBruce 09-15-2015 07:30 PM

Outstanding, patience and kindness sooths the savage beast.
but be careful, when you least expect it they go for the juggler.:skull:

glatt 09-16-2015 08:06 AM

Awesome!

Gravdigr 09-16-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 939145)
...when you least expect it they go for the juggler.:skull:

Thank goodness none of us are jugglers.

:jig:

Sundae 09-17-2015 08:20 AM

OMG.
I rewatched that about twenty times.

I can see where you get your loveliness (and love of animals) from now.
Give your Mum my love.

xoxoxoBruce 09-18-2015 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lucky capture 'cause they be really fast. ;)

Gravdigr 09-18-2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 939332)
Give your Mum my love.

Done.:D

Sundae 09-18-2015 03:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Working through my photo blog of my visit to Harewood House.
You'll get why I've left you hanging there if you read other threads.
Not-so-good family news means I'm not up to happy jolly rememberings of a day out.

But I came across these and I did smile.
Because I'd mentioned in the Nightmare thread that I'm quite fond of the little old English (British? European?) wasp.

With my stupid immune system - even before I compromised it with cirrhosis - I get a horrible reaction to a sting. But it's nothing really. Not like people who have to have epi-pens for bee stings or owt. I just itch longer and harder than most people, swell more and get oozy. Ditto cat bites, ant stings, nettles bramble scratches etc etc. Yeah, it's really classy.

AnyWAY.
Had a cream tea. Part of my birthday treat.
It was ridiculously expensive and I savoured every mouthful.
Attachment 53430

So why not share it?
Mr Wasp came looking.
Attachment 53433

I moved the pot of jam away from me (see above re itching and oozing) and said, "Have at it, mate."
Attachment 53431

Mr Wasp had a mate. As in a pal, a chum, a bromance. Wasps don't do the sexy thing. But I'd've been down with gay wasps if it had worked out that way.
Attachment 53432

Not waving, but drowning.
Actually, no Stevie Smiths were harmed in this series of photographs. Both of them were probably sugar-high, but neither were trapped.

Gravdigr 09-19-2015 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buy one, get a half-dozen free.

Attachment 53437

BigV 09-21-2015 10:16 PM

blech.

xoxoxoBruce 09-29-2015 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snake is in big trouble. Maybe dead snake slithering.

Gravdigr 09-30-2015 02:17 PM

Guineas are good for that. They make excellent watchdogs, too. No kidding.

Undertoad 09-30-2015 02:19 PM

I saw this elsewhere (I think it was elsewhere) and people worked out that the snake was a rubber snake, but if you look at YouTube you can find many examples of birds taking on snakes and usually winning.

Lamplighter 09-30-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 940461)
Snake is in big trouble. Maybe dead snake slithering.

Somehow it reminded me of this ad...

xoxoxoBruce 10-01-2015 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some are just sore losers. :haha:

Gravdigr 10-02-2015 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the "I've made a terrible mistake" dept:

Attachment 53550

Remarkable photo shows cougar atop 35-foot power pole, but what happens to cat?

xoxoxoBruce 10-02-2015 01:01 PM

Guess his Mama taught him to keep his tail tucked in. :shocking:

Gravdigr 10-02-2015 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Story Of A Soldier And The Squirrel Who Never Leaves His Side

Attachment 53553

Carruthers 10-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

A French bulldog named Jewel has been caught on CCTV chasing bears out of her owner's back garden in Monrovia, California.

It is thought the two bears were searching for food after wildfires destroyed parts of their habitat.
Brave dog chases bears off property

US Dwellars....

Can you identify the breed of the bears, please? Ta.

limey 10-05-2015 09:57 AM

(video etc.)

US Dwellars....

Quote:

Can you identify the breed of the bears, please? Ta.
Hilarious! Fantastic! It just goes to show that attitude is all!

Carruthers 10-05-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 940924)
Hilarious! Fantastic! It just goes to show that attitude is all!

It's the speed the bear goes down the steps at about 0.40 that made me laugh.

It turns Shakespeare's 'Exit, pursued by a bear' on its head somewhat.

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2015 12:01 PM

Tempted to say California Golden Bears :haha:, but I think they're Brown Bear cubs.

Gravdigr 10-05-2015 04:10 PM

Those are cinnamon-phase black bear cubs, I'm almost certain.

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2015 07:36 PM

That's interesting, I didn't know they had black bears in CA., only browns. They have two sub-species of blacks. :dunce:

Sundae 10-05-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 940694)

Just seen this. Is it possible to vomit from sheer happy overload?
This level of cuteness needs a warning.

By which I mean thank you for that Sir.

Gravdigr 10-06-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 940999)
Just seen this. Is it possible to vomit from sheer happy overload?
This level of cuteness needs a warning.

By which I mean thank you for that Sir.

You are talking about the squrl, right?

And not the guy?

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2015 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep warning you about those rabbits, but would you listen... nooooooooooo. http://cellar.org/2015/banghead.gif

Gravdigr 10-09-2015 06:37 AM

Yikes.

glatt 10-09-2015 07:42 AM

How that bunny has lived as long as it has is beyond me. How can it eat?

xoxoxoBruce 10-09-2015 09:59 AM

It can't and was nearly dead by the side of the road. They surmise it was a pet, abandoned rather than pay a vet to fix it. Rabbits, woodchucks, beavers and others, have teeth that never stop growing. Nature expected their natural lifestyle to wear teeth away as fast as they grew. But incarcerated critters don't lead a natural lifestyle, except some zoos who take this into account during their stay. Pets with this type teeth must be regular vet visitors

Sundae 10-09-2015 10:43 AM

That is why my rat boys have wooden chew toys as well as cardboard, wicker, mineral blocks and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. Rodents' teeth don't stop growing.

They might drive me crazy when they noisily gnaw in the middle of the night, but it's all natural behaviour, and necessary.

Poor abandoned bunny.

Gravdigr 10-09-2015 03:27 PM

Shoulda turned him into hasenpfeffer.

xoxoxoBruce 10-09-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 941392)
They might drive me crazy when they noisily gnaw in the middle of the night, but it's all natural behaviour, and necessary.

They're practicing to gnaw your bones when the rat revolution comes. Viva Willard!!

classicman 10-11-2015 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took this with my phone when in Orr, MN a few weeks back. As a lefty, I frequently take pictures with the camera "upside down." This would be one of them.

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2015 10:42 AM

Obviously, the nuclear wind has reached the trees before the water. :haha:
Nice pic.

Lamplighter 10-11-2015 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 941608)

Before I read the Classic's comment, I thought it was from New Zealand.
Attachment 53681

Griff 10-11-2015 12:42 PM

I like that shot.

classicman 10-11-2015 09:30 PM

Tx ... I wish it was done on purpose. I cold claim some sort of photographic creativity, but alas, no.

infinite monkey 10-11-2015 10:07 PM

My polar bear pictures were stolen when my laptop was stolen out of my stolen car. Did I post some here?

sexobon 10-11-2015 11:12 PM

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=880961

infinite monkey 10-12-2015 02:51 AM

I love you sexobon. Thanks! :)

Gravdigr 10-18-2015 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53782

Gravdigr 10-19-2015 01:24 PM

They were raised together.

Gravdigr 10-21-2015 12:04 PM

Undertoad 10-24-2015 11:43 AM

Griff 10-24-2015 11:45 AM

That is the best frikkin adorable.

orthodoc 10-24-2015 08:09 PM

These are adorable. I guess I have to get video of the two very hardworking chipmunks who live at opposite ends of our back deck; they've been carrying hickory nuts to their nests for weeks now. Occasionally our neighbor's cat strolls across the yard and the chipmunks freeze; the cat is too well fed to notice. The groundhogs have gone to ground in the past week or so; no more sightings. While the wild turkeys were grazing on the back slope, the groundhogs mingled (safety in numbers) and grazed as well; but now that the turkeys have drifted back into denser cover, all is quiet. The deer were numerous a couple of weeks ago but, thankfully, have now withdrawn. I don't want to see any now that bow season is here.

I should explain that our property is small, only 13 acres, and our house is situated so that it's less than 150 yards from anywhere on the property. Hunters firing rifles at the property line are too close to our house to be 'safe', per PA laws - never mind the fact that almost any rifle used by most hunters will carry farther than 150 yards. Most rifles used will fire a bullet 1-2 miles, as in the fatality we had in our county last year that was ruled an accident.

Three years ago, on Thanksgiving weekend, my daughter and I were decorating the Christmas tree in our home - against a large window in our great room - when we heard a dozen rifle shots close to the house. We looked out the window and saw a man walk up out of the ravine from our creek, into our backyard, literally a few feet from our back deck. He was holding his rifle, dressed in camo. I was livid. I bolted for the back door.

I ran out after the man, who had started up our back slope toward our woods. I yelled at him. "What the HELL do you think you're doing? Who do you think you are? There's a house here! You just shot your gun beside a HOUSE!!" He kept going. My husband caught up to me and grabbed my arm. He pulled me back, saying, this guy has a gun. Come back into the house. I was screaming at the guy. He kept going. I could see his hunting license on the back of his jacket but couldn't read it.

The guy walked away from us. If I'd been able to get a picture of his license, I could've had it pulled. That's the ONLY thing these guys care about. Nothing else matters. They wouldn't mind winging somebody and saying later that it was an accident. They'd get away with it in rural Pennsylvania.

Our 'posted' signs have all been torn down by the local yahoos. The local Walmart is out of them, per usual, and does not plan to order any more. It's another typical hunting season in northwest PA.

Gravdigr 10-27-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 943141)
That's the ONLY thing these guys care about. Nothing else matters. They wouldn't mind winging somebody and saying later that it was an accident. They'd get away with it in rural Pennsylvania.

You're lumping all hunters together with this jerk.

Please don't do that.

Almost all hunters (I guess that should read 'all responsible hunters') are extremely accommodating to "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting" signs. It's one of the cornerstones of our hunting culture that plays a very large part in maintaining that culture.

Again, please don't lump us all in with the assholes. We are not all like that.

Gravdigr 10-27-2015 05:03 PM

***NSFW Baboon Weiner Alert NSFW***

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 943141)
I should explain that our property is small, only 13 acres, and our house is situated so that it's less than 150 yards from anywhere on the property. Hunters firing rifles at the property line are too close to our house to be 'safe', per PA laws - never mind the fact that almost any rifle used by most hunters will carry farther than 150 yards. Most rifles used will fire a bullet 1-2 miles, as in the fatality we had in our county last year that was ruled an accident.

Three years ago, on Thanksgiving weekend, my daughter and I were decorating the Christmas tree in our home - against a large window in our great room - when we heard a dozen rifle shots close to the house. We looked out the window and saw a man walk up out of the ravine from our creek, into our backyard, literally a few feet from our back deck. He was holding his rifle, dressed in camo. I was livid. I bolted for the back door.

I ran out after the man, who had started up our back slope toward our woods. I yelled at him. "What the HELL do you think you're doing? Who do you think you are? There's a house here! You just shot your gun beside a HOUSE!!" He kept going. My husband caught up to me and grabbed my arm. He pulled me back, saying, this guy has a gun. Come back into the house. I was screaming at the guy. He kept going. I could see his hunting license on the back of his jacket but couldn't read it.

The guy walked away from us. If I'd been able to get a picture of his license, I could've had it pulled. That's the ONLY thing these guys care about. Nothing else matters. They wouldn't mind winging somebody and saying later that it was an accident. They'd get away with it in rural Pennsylvania.

Our 'posted' signs have all been torn down by the local yahoos. The local Walmart is out of them, per usual, and does not plan to order any more. It's another typical hunting season in northwest PA.

goddamnit, I replied to this and must have previewed and closed without posting... again. http://cellar.org/2015/banghead.gif sigh

OK, what this hunter did was illegal and dickish. He should be punished, and have his license yanked. You have every right to be thoroughly pissed off, I would be too. However, when relating the incident to people, if you rant about hunters in generalizations, there's a good chance someone they love, Dad, Granddad, brother, lover, is a hunter(Not being sexist, there are very few women hunters). That may reduce your story to an anti-hunting rant in their mind, rather than factual incident they're likely to repeat. And you want it repeated often.

The same applies to the guns shoot 1 to 2 miles thing. No matter how much you shit your pants, the fact remains if he shot in your direction you'd have holes in your house. Again, if it doesn't reduce sympathy from the listener, chances are they are already anti-hunting/guns or a bunny hugger. These are not the people you want to win over. You want the pro-hunting/guns person who is a rational human being(I think you'd be surprised what a large percentage they are), to hear your complaint.

By all means, tell what happened, how scared you were, and how pissed off you were and are, but leave out the hyperbole that may alienate the listener before they hear you out.
Or next time just shoot the fucker and report an accident. ;)

Gravdigr 10-28-2015 11:15 AM

A deer in Tennessee runs onto the soccer field. And scores a gooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2015 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've seen video, National Geographic I think, of a Vampire Bat actually walking across the ground to reach a sleeping cow. It used wing tips as a substitute for front legs and looked really creepy. The only type of bat that does that.

Undertoad 10-29-2015 09:47 PM

I gotcher video right here

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2015 09:55 PM

OK, that wasn't the one I saw but it shows how they walk better. Looks like they fold half the wing under and walk on the end of the bone structure, where that hook is at the top of the wing. Cool, thanks UT.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2015 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting the point. looks like a museum diorama.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2015 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotcha...