The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's for Dinner? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6848)

Lola Bunny 05-02-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 809680)
I think that I might try to find a place that makes bento with the ume onigiri to try some before I invest in the stuff, since it's so darn expensive. I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

Sounds like a great plan. You know, I don't know what ume paste is. I googled ume or umeboshi, as I found out, and still don't know exactly what that is. Seems like there are several flavors? I'm gonna check it out at the grocery store. Let us know how you like once you tried one. :)

Undertoad 05-03-2012 06:47 PM

Mom's takeout sushi

http://cellar.org/2012/20120503sushi.jpg

My takeout shrimp tempura. goes great with milk

http://cellar.org/2012/20120503tempura.jpg

Sundae 05-04-2012 04:08 AM

I am tempted to say it looks horrible.
As revenge for the dissing of my bacon.
But I'm not that petty and anyway it looks teh yum.

infinite monkey 05-04-2012 08:57 AM

Back bacon vs belly (or side) bacon. 'Canadian' bacon does not crisp in its own juices; it's more like what we call ham. What's ham over there, a gumball? ;)

We call back bacon canadian bacon. And while it's the yummeh, it is not and never will be as good as a crispy piece of belly bacon that melts in your mouth.

Quote:

Bacon is a cut of pork and in North America we commonly eat what is called side bacon, or bacon cut from the side of the pork. In Canada the common cut of preference is bacon taken from the back, commonly referred to as "back bacon." This bacon is more like a slice of ham, and its taken from the "eye of the loin" which is very tender and lean.

North American bacon usually has a higher fat content earning it the nickname "streaky bacon" in Europe, because of the design the pork and fat combine to make in its long thin slices.
So all this time I thought the bacon meme was international, and y'all were really talking about a form of ham.

Bring on the ham memes!

Clodfobble 05-04-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny
Sounds like a great plan. You know, I don't know what ume paste is. I googled ume or umeboshi, as I found out, and still don't know exactly what that is. Seems like there are several flavors? I'm gonna check it out at the grocery store. Let us know how you like once you tried one.

[useless pedant]Ume is the Japanese word for plum. (Specifically, a species of plum indigenous to Japan.) It is very tart and doesn't really taste good fresh off the tree, so it is usually pickled, after which it is called umeboshi. They also siphon off the resulting vinegar from this process and sell it, and mash up some of the leftover plum grime to get ume paste. As the paste is a popular spread, there are varieties that have had additional flavors blended in.

Or you can ferment the plums into plum wine instead, which is much tastier than umeboshi.

Lola Bunny 05-04-2012 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 810115)
[useless pedant]Ume is the Japanese word for plum. (Specifically, a species of plum indigenous to Japan.) It is very tart and doesn't really taste good fresh off the tree, so it is usually pickled, after which it is called umeboshi. They also siphon off the resulting vinegar from this process and sell it, and mash up some of the leftover plum grime to get ume paste. As the paste is a popular spread, there are varieties that have had additional flavors blended in.

Or you can ferment the plums into plum wine instead, which is much tastier than umeboshi.

Read all that, didn't explain it for me. But I guess what I was really looking for is to connect it to what I've eaten. :p: The descriptions I read remind me of preserved plums, which taste both salty and sweet and a wonderful snack. Yahoo image search didn't help much. But thank to Clobfobble's "pedantic" explanation :p: , I went back and did a google image search. I see now that I may have never tried umeboshi. To confess, the real reason I did a google image search is to show you this picture. Plum wine is an absolut delish. Well, this brand, at least. :D

Aliantha 05-04-2012 11:05 PM

Yeah, I like preserved plums, although I once got a packet that tasted really gross. Not sure what happened, but they went in the bin.

Tonight we're having roast pork.

bbro 05-05-2012 05:46 PM

Steak fajitas for me

wolf 05-05-2012 11:39 PM

I have had a homemade Asian plum wine that is awesome, and have not found a decent substitute, but that Gekkekeian is pretty good. There is a plum sake I can't remember the name of by the time I'm done drinking it that also rocks.

Aliantha 05-06-2012 06:38 PM

I made lasagne.

It was good.

limey 05-07-2012 02:58 AM

I did roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots, bbrroccolli, gravy.

It was good, too!

Sundae 05-07-2012 05:04 AM

I had kebab meat from Iceland.
How scabby.

It was delicious and Mum asked if she could have some :)

bbro 05-29-2012 08:21 PM

Chicken Tamale Pie - holy crap it's good!

BigV 05-30-2012 10:42 PM

sweet potato chips

limey 06-03-2012 12:40 PM

Duck a l'orange ...

bbro 06-03-2012 05:57 PM

Creamy Chicken and Rice soup

Blueflare 06-04-2012 04:51 AM

BBQ!

Fire + meat = awesome.

bbro 06-05-2012 12:49 PM

Cauliflower with butter
Baked Potato fries tossed in olive oil
Mrs. Paul's Parchment Bake Classic Grilled Tilapia

I am quote looking forward to it :D

Trilby 06-06-2012 07:39 AM

Imma make a chicken pot pie. :)

DanaC 06-06-2012 07:43 AM

Sausage, egg and bacon sandwich from the village bakery. And a jam slice for afters!

wolf 06-06-2012 11:45 AM

The pace at the rehab is such that I really don't get to eat real food. I take sandwiches mainly. Tonight will be a perfectly ordinary turkey and cheese on Oatnut bread, but it is cut into the shape of two little dolphins and a heart.

I bought one of those sandwich cutter things. It is too cute.

Jaydaan 06-09-2012 02:05 PM

Homemade pizza, several different flavours of pizza, actually. Its my youngest son's 17th birthday party, so its a pizza, pop and snacks night with 2 friends sleeping over. So I expect it to be 20 mins of kids in the front room eating, then in his room playing games until 3am, then sleeping until noon tomorrow.

I know I am making:
- bbq chicken pizza, (bbq sauce, cheese, onions, chicken, mushrooms and cranberries and pineapple)
-"house special" (marinara sauce, cheese, pepperoni, salami, ham, bacon, onions, green peppers, black olives, mushrooms, pineapple and fresh tomatoes added after)
-taco (mix of salsa and marniara sauce, ground beef with taco seasoning, cheese, diced onions hot peppers and green peppers, then topped with shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, and more salsa if desired)

still not sure of the 4th one yet...

monster 06-09-2012 03:27 PM

so wait, you use bbq sauce instead of the tomato base? Doesn't it dry out? Or doesn't that matter?

Jaydaan 06-09-2012 05:07 PM

I use quite a bit of sauce, and no it does not dry out. When I make my donair pizza, I mix the sweet sauce with meditrainian dressing half and half, and its wonderful! We use quite a few different sauces, instead of basic marinara.

Alfredo sauce works great too... we use this for chicken or seafood pizzas.

monster 06-09-2012 09:08 PM

cool, thanks. Beest may well start experimenting because he and goalie-boy are into the bbq stuff....

Sundae 06-10-2012 06:46 AM

American style pulled pork, Hasselback potatoes and peas. Or beans - I haven't decided yet.
Offered to cook for my Dad.
He declined!
Miserable old buzzard.

Bet he has leftovers tomorrow when he sees how good it is.
May try to take a photo with his camera (mine is in Oz with Mum)

Sundae 06-10-2012 03:52 PM

Pulled pork was yumm-eh!
Dad was watching the footie and I took him in a forkful to taste. He does like that. No more, just a sample.

Afterwards, when we were watching the football together I said I had plenty of leftovers (of course I did!) and they were in the fridge. He said, "Well, now I know what you mean [?!] I'd like some of that. Can I reheat it in the microwave for dinner tomorrow?"

So it might have been the way I described it which put him off the Father/ Daughter experience I was trying to engender... NB he said that after he had had his shop-bought pasta bake. So it wasn't prompted by hunger.

I did not have such a great meal as it turns out.
Hasselback Potatoes should be "seasoned". Not being a big salt eater I declined to douse them in salt n pepper. Instead went for a rarely used container in the cupboard called Season All. But it didn't have a sprinkle top. It had a free-for-all top. My poor potatoes were smothered in the stuff! Well, okay, not smothered, but I did not intend to put so much on.

I also did not know how salty the blend was, or I would not have cooked them for 50 minutes; I'd have binned them there and then and cut some new ones
It was an unpleasant surprise, when everything else was ready to dish up. As I said, I do not generally add salt to anything (hard boiled eggs and chips excepted) so it hit my mouth like a big salty smack up the chops.

Don't get me wrong, they were edible. I polished them off. But they were a disappointment when the texture and the crispness were just right (I made a low cal vesion with oil not butter and no cheese so I wasn't sure).

But the sheer overwhelming flavour of the salt bled into the BBQ pork and made it less of a treat. Which when it was eaten on its own, it was. P'raps the fact I served up the pork in the oven-to-tableware I cooked the potatoes in was partly to blame. WHAT?! I didn't realise I'd salted them to buggery at that point!

Clodfobble 06-10-2012 03:58 PM

Mr. Clod is making kebabs with shrimp, mushrooms, and some other stuff I wasn't paying attention to. The only flag that went up in my mind was, "I don't have to cook? Done and done."

Trilby 06-15-2012 06:38 AM

Baked ziti.

BigV 06-15-2012 10:27 AM

cereal. pb&j.

DanaC 06-15-2012 10:57 AM

Fish and chips. From the chippy. Lots of salt and vinegar. Mmm.

Sundae 06-16-2012 10:40 AM

PIZZA!
I got a voucher which means a large stuffed crust pizza will cost me less than a small standard one, so I'm going for it. I'll have to bin a lot of it, which goes against my conscience, but it brings it into my price range.

What is it with pizza companies and their stinginess on sauce and toppings?
I only want extra sauce because otherwise they might arrive dry as buggery and then my lovely treat ends up in having to make a complaint.
And yes, I also want 4 toppings, but some of your standard pizzas have 5 or 6. And trust me, you don't get anything more for the price, just something different.
Also, if I am taking off meat to add onion, is it really fair to charge me anyway?

Grrrrrr.

Looking forward to my pizza anyway.

bbro 06-18-2012 12:39 PM

Mexican Chicken Pizza, but I am enjoying this burrito bowl so much, I might make a bastardized version at home for dinner. Too much rice? Never!! lol

Sundae 06-18-2012 02:25 PM

Pizza wasn't worth complaining about.
Delivery driver spoke very poor English, and could not find my house. I had to go out to meet him (barefoot).
I thought they'd all have satnav these days?!

Would've been nicer with double sauce but glad I didn't spend the extra on it. Ot hotter of course. Booked online, was 20 minutes late.

Tonight I made Hasselback potatoes. Again.
Third try and they get better each time.
Well... I wouldn't have served tonight's effort to anyone, because I overcooked them, but that was just a mistake of timing (and I loved the crunch!) it's just that I know the basics now. Next time I will try them with Boursin, as garlic and cheese are within the usual parameters.

Saying "usual", I'm making them with tiny Charlotte (new) potatoes, hence the need to experiment, as they are generally served jacket potato size.

I will def make them for my BBQ (on 30 July, day before my 40th birthday, you are all welcome). They can be enjoyed cold if cooked properly, which might be important if it hammers down on the day and the grill and oven are needed!

sad_winslow 06-20-2012 02:41 AM

Tonight I did some hot italian sausages with green and red bell peppers, and onion. I just ate it as a big ol' mess on the plate with a big pile of mustard. Well, mustards; both french's and grey poopin'. And it was gooooood. :D

kerosene 07-17-2012 06:03 PM

Baking a chicken with red potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, and mushrooms. Kinda boring, but the family likes this dish.

busterb 07-18-2012 10:23 PM

SOS and toast.

jimhelm 07-21-2012 09:56 AM

Yummeh!

•spoken in to my phone

kerosene 07-21-2012 08:36 PM

Spanikopita and chocolate covered cherries

limey 07-23-2012 09:26 AM

Mixed veg curry with my own mix of spices (curry powder, crushed cloves, grated nutmeg, ground ginger, garlic, ground cinnamon, crushed coriander seeds - whatever I've got really. Slam it all in.

DanaC 07-23-2012 09:35 AM

Carrot and I walked to the village bakery, where i bought a hot turkey and stuffing sandwich. Ate the sandwich whilst sitting on a bench overlooking the village green and occasionally feeding little pieces of turkey to Carrot :)

Rounded it off with a custard tart.

classicman 07-23-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Rounded it off with a commie tart.
:eek:

Aliantha 07-23-2012 05:22 PM

We had chilli con carne.

DanaC 07-23-2012 06:17 PM

*slaps classicman upside the head*

orthodoc 07-23-2012 08:23 PM

Grilled fingerling potatoes, asparagus, and brussels sprouts (brush with olive oil, keep the heat low, let the brussels sprouts carmelize) - cracked pepper and minced garlic, fresh thyme and a little dill sprinkled over ... and for dessert, best. strawberries. ever. One little piece of dark chocolate with mint. Yummmm.

DucksNuts 07-24-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 813741)
Duck a l'orange ...

Harsh!! :eek:

Homemade chicken in pjamas, homemade chips and beans with sultana's n pinenuts (beans from the garden)...we were going to have peas as well, but Tyler and I ate them all whilst we were picking them. :blush:

Sundae 07-24-2012 02:20 PM

Explain chicken in pyjamas, unless that's your way of dining.

And for me - nothing.
Nope, nothing. Zilch, zero, nul.
Because it's too bloody hot.

Expect me to moan about this across the whole board and feel free to put me on temporary ignore until weather reports show a more sensible temperature in South East England.

DanaC 07-24-2012 02:53 PM

Yep. Much as I appreciate the lack of rain, it's been way hot. Poor carrotchops was chasing the shade all through his walk.

wolf 07-25-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 820867)
SOS and toast.

You have it with extra toast? You wildman, you!

As a consequence of a trip to the Costco with wrongwaycorrigan, I will be eating chicken lunchmeat sandwiches for about the next two weeks. I got an assortment of cheese, though, so it won't be exactly the same sandwich every day, just repeat once every four days.

bbro 07-25-2012 12:26 PM

I am dying to know what chicken in pyjamas means. Like Sundae said - what you are wearing or did you do somethign to the chicken?

After the failure last night, I am making blackened chicken salad tonight. I am hoping this will be a much better result.

Sundae 07-26-2012 05:24 AM

I had (shop bought) Chicken Jalfrezi for dinner last night.
Good enough, although I prefer take-away or home cooked (either way made by someone Asian and not me).

But it was authentic enough that I sweated onions all night.
Not good when you're waking up every 20 minutes anyway from heat/ cat attacks/ fear of onion fumes.

I'm having tortellini in a roast garlic sauce tonight.
Expect similar complaints tomorrow.

Trilby 07-26-2012 10:01 AM

I, too, join the ranks of those who MUST KNOW what chicken pyjamas is.

bbro 07-26-2012 12:34 PM

Chicken Salad! Again. It is good, and it means I don't have to cook tonight....instead I can clean :facepalm: . That also means that tomorrow's lunch will be the same chicken salad, but tomorrow night is a new recipe.....in an already clean kitchen! Some of the trade-offs I do are odd.

Sundae 07-26-2012 01:32 PM

I googled chicken in PJs.
Cheater.

I'd eat it though.

Stormieweather 07-26-2012 02:23 PM

Shrimp scampi with oven roasted summer squash and a sliced fresh tomato. Nom nom nom!!!:D

orthodoc 07-26-2012 06:53 PM

I cheated too. Hell, from now on I'll call it chicken pyjamas ... much more fun :p:

Leftovers, clean-out-the-fridge-night here. Brown rice and black bean salad in high-fiber tortilla, almond dream, strawberries with a dash of liqueur ... mmm. The tiramisu I bought tasted like nasty oil-substitute crud. Dumped it.

Trilby 07-28-2012 08:47 AM

My cousin gave me a recipe for spaghetti sauce and I thought he was foolin' but turns out it is DELISH. though mighty, mighty unhealthy.

1 lb ground chuck OR ground Bob Evans sausage (Plain sausage - no fennel)
onions, garlic - chopped and cooked in the meat grease
1 (15 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
1 stick of real butter

cook the meat, onions and garlic, throw in the 'maters and the butter. Simmer till hot thru. Throw on any pasta.

OMG. sooooooooooo good. And DO NOT drain the meat. Leave the grease IN. Will give you a coronary but you won't care.

jimhelm 07-28-2012 10:40 AM

Went to Victory Brewing last night.

appetizer:

Caramelized Sea Scallops
pan seared sea scallops with ginger
cabbage slaw and sweet honey sesame
dressing $13*
pairs well with Headwaters Pale Ale

AMAZING. SOooooo tender and delicious... it was orgasmic.

Amanda had this:

Grilled Bratwurst
two grilled bratwurst with sautéed peppers and onions served
with spicy Prima mustard on a long roll $10*
pairs well with Victory Lager

Also delicious. juicy and sweet and a lil bit spicy

I had A spicy Orange glazed Chicken dish ( kind of like General Tso's, but with slivers of Orange peel stirred in) with rice and broccoli.

and beer(s)

Mad King Weiss, Kolsch, Hop Devil, Helios.

Then we went to her place and played Yahtzee. I had 2 or 3 Golden Monkeys, and woke up with the worst Hangover I've had in recent memory. just starting to feel human again.

Clodfobble 07-28-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm
Then we went to her place and played Yahtzee.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Dinner tonight is supposed to be Jambalaya. Except I didn't plan well, and my oven is currently in use, so I'm going to have to rush to throw it all in as soon as the other thing is out, and then eat late after the kids have gone to bed.

Undertoad 07-28-2012 11:20 PM

http://cellar.org/2012/pighead.jpg

He gave his life, and his head, so that we could have tasty pork tonight and go on to rock the house of a large private party in the middle of nowhere.

http://cellar.org/2012/dtrainreturns.jpg

Until the rain came and stopped us right at our fourth song, and we had to wait an hour and hope that all our gear didn't get too wet. It didn't, we continued on and rocked them all decently, including getting a bunch of women-folk to start line-dancing. Call it a win.