The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is pissing you off this time? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18362)

DanaC 03-01-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 855153)
Harry Hill?!

better get ready for the Badger Parade!

footfootfoot 03-01-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 855158)
better get ready for the Badger Parade!

Mr. Todd and Tommy Brock?

Sundae 03-01-2013 01:58 PM

Phil Jupitus!

Lamplighter 05-29-2013 09:40 AM

Somewhere I previously posted my frustration about calling out a repairman
to fix an oven-control, only to find out I didn't know how to work the controls.
That "education" cost me $65 for the 5 minutes of his "teaching time"

Well, yesterday my tenant informed me that the washer was not working.
I called the same repairman, and it truely was broken so for $135
he got it working again by replacing the belt, and he went on his way.

BUT, an hour later, the tenant calls to say the drier is not working,
and sure enough, the belt on the drier is shredded.

Now what are the odds of the belts on two different machines
breaking on the same day ? Appliance abuse ? Malicious ?

Regardless, I'm ticked because the repair guy could have fixed
both on just one (minimum $65/trip + parts + labor) visit.

jimhelm 05-29-2013 11:28 AM

My friend called me last night at 7 and asked for a ride to the airport. the flight left at 8:10 a.m., so that meant I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to go pick the son of a b**** up. I knocked on his door for half an hour before I gave up, and went back home.

I was home before I would have been had I taken him to the airport, god damnit I wish I'd been able to sleep through

glatt 05-29-2013 11:47 AM

Did he ever call and say what happened?

Lamplighter 05-29-2013 01:08 PM

Maybe MTP knows

;)

jimhelm 05-30-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 866414)
Did he ever call and say what happened?

Yah, he was asleep. Crazy asleep.

Aliantha 06-08-2013 06:34 AM

Maverick is pissing me off. He's supposed to be in charge of the day to day care of the cats, but he repeatedly forgets to tell me when they're out of food. It's after 9pm sat night here. He's at katies pmace, and there's no cat food. I had to give them a can of salmon for dinner ffs!

That boy is lucky hes not here, cause i swear i would do violence if he were!

Fucking pissed off beyond belief.

footfootfoot 06-08-2013 03:22 PM

You didn't call him and tell him to pick up cat food and get the fuck home or drive the cats over to Katie's place?

I swear you're getting soft Ali.

Aliantha 06-08-2013 05:17 PM

I did call him and told him he's never leaving the house again.

monster 06-08-2013 07:38 PM

but you didn't mean it :rolleyes:

ZenGum 06-08-2013 11:17 PM

Is this the one who was blaming you for his poor study habits because you weren't strict enough with him?

Aliantha 06-09-2013 03:34 AM

No, this is a different one. lol. God i feel like a shit parent now. lol

Aliantha 06-09-2013 03:34 AM

Monster...i did at the time. Does that count? lol

monster 06-09-2013 09:11 PM

no.

ZenGum 06-09-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 867566)
No, this is a different one. lol. God i feel like a shit parent now. lol

"You get your self back here and feed the cat within ten minutes! I'm not having you turn out like an undisciplined slacker like your brother!"

Seriously, this sort of thing is normal for a teenager's brain. Like that time one had your car keys with him and left in a different vehicle, leaving you stranded. The act of thinking things through and exploring all consequences - especially those that only affect other people - is a part of adult behaviour, but it takes time for teenagers to learn it.
It's kind of like the tunnel vision of a five year old who sees his soccer ball bounce onto the road, so he runs out to get it without checking for cars.
He isn't stupid, he just needs more training at being an adult.

So, you're not a bad parent, you're just not finished with him yet.

BigV 06-10-2013 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Andy the Reluctant Outdoor Dog is actively campaigning to become Andy the Permanently Outdoor Dog.

Attachment 44334

footfootfoot 06-10-2013 02:05 PM

I'd say it is a landslide victory.

ZenGum 06-10-2013 08:34 PM

Landslide, landfill, who can tell?

Aliantha 09-23-2013 09:35 PM

Well, practically everything is pissing me off, but mostly just life in general. I have just had enough. The kids just started a two week break from school, and Daryl, who has had a cough for about three months now and has refused to see a doctor about it, seems to have picked up some other bug on top of it, probably because his immune system is up the shitter. This is pissing me off because I know my immune system is low because I am tired and just not doing well emotionally lately, so I have got whatever he has. Max and Maverick both seem to have picked it up too. Next week the kids are all supposed to be going to my Dad's for a few days so I can have a rest. I have booked myself into a beachside resort/apartment to just basically sleep for a few days. This would all be fine except I can't really send a car full of sick kids to my father for the week. Last break the kids had, you will remember our road trip holiday had to be cut very short because of the last bug daryl brought into the house. I'm just fucking over it. I will kill someone if I don't get the break I need. I know it as plain as the nose on my face.

Then I come here and am reminded that one of my favourite posters has 'retired' from this site, so that's pissing me off too now.

It's times like this I wish I was still a smoker.

Oh, and the other thing that's pissing me off are people complaining about receiving app requests on facebook. BLOCK THE FUCKING APP YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!!!

limegreenc 09-23-2013 10:25 PM

Nothing cheers me up better than food expecially if it's made for me

:yesnod:Butter Tarts
Recipe is for a dozen tarts

2 eggs
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup maple syrup or corn syrup (maple is favored)
¾ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
½ cup raisins or currants

Toss ingredients into a sauce pan and heat at medium, stirring constantly to a gentle boil. After 1 minute remove from heat.

Spoon 1 full tablespoon of mixture into the tart shells to cover the bottom. Wait till it settles a bit then add more to half filled. (It bubbles up while cooking, so don’t overfill).

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes depending if your oven runs hot.
Enjoy!

lumberjim 09-24-2013 01:06 PM

Another solo flight today. Dickhead is milking this infection he has for 110%. Apparently his anti biotics will only work at home. 5 deliveries scheduled between 5:30 and 7:30....add to that whatever we sell tonight and unscheduled deliveries that I'm sure will appear on my rack.

This shit is getting old.

John Sellers 09-24-2013 04:46 PM

My remotes. It seems that every code I enter into my DirecTV remote to control my TV is wrong. I have a hard enuf time getting it into programming mode in the first place. Even worse, my Vizio remote won't control my Vizio TV.

I'm also concerned the the problem may not even be the remotes, but the IR sensor on the TV itself.

orthodoc 09-24-2013 04:48 PM

Washington, DC traffic: taking two hours to drive 40 miles.

glatt 09-25-2013 06:54 AM

Yep. Traffic absolutely sucks here.

limey 09-25-2013 03:15 PM

A two and a quarter hour delay in the take off of a one and a half hour flight. For a three hour meeting tomorrow. :banghead:

Sent by thought transference

John Sellers 09-26-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sellers (Post 876899)
My remotes. It seems that every code I enter into my DirecTV remote to control my TV is wrong. I have a hard enuf time getting it into programming mode in the first place. Even worse, my Vizio remote won't control my Vizio TV.

I'm also concerned the the problem may not even be the remotes, but the IR sensor on the TV itself.

Well, this is solved....finally.

orthodoc 09-26-2013 11:13 PM

What's pissing me off ... the fact that the rest of the world finds it hilarious that some of us can't hear.

What?

Gilda Radnor was a talented woman and I wish she hadn't died young from ovarian cancer, but her Emily Litella character was about as funny as the Holocaust. Would you applaud a comedian making racist jokes? Sexist jokes? Homophobic slurs?

It takes a lot of talent and courage to mock people who can't hear well enough to make important distinctions in speech, who suffer humiliation in every social encounter.

What?

sexobon 09-26-2013 11:32 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way.

orthodoc 09-26-2013 11:34 PM

I'm deaf, not blind.

But thanks for shouting.

PS ... Sorry you feel like a vet, sexobon. Oh, wait ... never mind.

xoxoxoBruce 09-26-2013 11:59 PM

What? :confused:
I never thought she was deaf, just dense, unhip, clueless, kind of like everyone's previous generation.

sexobon 09-27-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 877247)
... Sorry you feel like a vet, sexobon. ...

[Bold mine]

Funny you should say that. When I went through Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS, a.k.a. goats on wheels) conducted by the American College of Surgeons to qualify US physicians to work in ERs, I named [for the patient charts] my Human Role Model (HMR, a.k.a. goat) Gilda ... after Gilda Radner. I always admired that comedienne's innate ability to enable people to laugh at their adversities and my HMR was certainly in an adverse situation facing euthanasia after surgical procedures. Gilda was quite popular for her namesake as was her namesake. Maybe trash talking dead comediennes is a Canadian thing, ay?

orthodoc 09-27-2013 12:33 AM

I'm sure Emily Litella was in Gilda Radnor's repertoire because people thought it hilarious when she couldn't distinguish consonants. Radnor gave the audience what they wanted. It says more about the audience than about Radnor.

Canadians save their trash-talk for hockey, eh.

sexobon 09-27-2013 12:45 AM

Note to Congress regarding all treaties with Canada, change "ay" to "eh." Zut alors!

orthodoc 09-27-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 877251)
I never thought she was deaf, just dense, unhip, clueless, kind of like everyone's previous generation.

Heh ... yep, that's me, Bruce. ;)
I know that coming out as HOH/deaf loses me ... oh, a gajillion hotness points. But I have some great stories about my more severe misinterpretations of conversation. Like the turtle weenie soup conversation ...

orthodoc 09-27-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 877256)
Note to Congress regarding all treaties with Canada, change "ay" to "eh." Zut alors!

Zut! This foreigner, he speak Canuck, by geez by gar!
(Ottawa Valley dialect; do not try this at home.)

xoxoxoBruce 09-27-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 877257)
I know that coming out as HOH/deaf loses me ... oh, a gajillion hotness points. But I have some great stories about my more severe misinterpretations of conversation. Like the turtle weenie soup conversation ...

You're overthinking Emily Litella, trying to diagnose a funny character with a medical condition. Do you think Chaplin's Little Tramp had a leg deformity, or we shouldn't laugh at Red Skelton's Willie Lump Lump because alcoholism is a serious problem? C'mon, lighten up.

I've been wearing two hearing aids since 1981 and should have way before that. As of two months ago they told me they had good news, my hearing is so bad there's no sense in buying hearing aids with all the bells and whistles because I wouldn't hear either. So don't lecture me on misinterpretations of conversation, eh. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

orthodoc 09-27-2013 05:15 AM

We should trade stories. ;)

All right, all right, I have duly lightened up. I get tetchy around 2 am; it's not my best time.

Griff 09-27-2013 05:29 AM

Bruce, how much conversation were you missing when you finally got the hearing aides? I'm headed in that direction... Sometimes I think my level of disinterest in humans makes it worse but there are times when I want to understand and don't.

xoxoxoBruce 09-27-2013 09:34 AM

Much more than I thought, according to others. But I think that was more a case of, "You didn't hear a thing I was thinking", in some cases. :rolleyes:

Clodfobble 09-27-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Bruce, how much conversation were you missing when you finally got the hearing aides? I'm headed in that direction... Sometimes I think my level of disinterest in humans makes it worse but there are times when I want to understand and don't.

Get them.

My uncle is a musician, and he was really in denial about his growing hearing loss, until the Ear-Nose-Throat doc explained to him that it's not just about the ear, it's about the connections in the brain. The longer you can't hear something, the more neurons shut down, and if you wait too long, no hearing aide in the world is going to be able to get those sounds back for you. If you get one as soon as the hearing starts to go, you get to keep everything for much longer.

He got one, and was astounded to discover all the things he'd been missing. They make them so tiny now, you really can't see them, and there is no shame in wearing one even if you're still on the young side.

lumberjim 09-27-2013 12:35 PM

What?

footfootfoot 09-27-2013 12:59 PM

Can they help with figure ground hearing problems?

Gravdigr 09-27-2013 01:32 PM

Goddamned gnats!!!!

footfootfoot 09-27-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 877257)

Everyone knows deaf girls are the hottest. My friend was an RA at RIT in the deaf dorm, oh the tales she told...

orthodoc 09-27-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 877391)
Everyone knows deaf girls are the hottest. My friend was an RA at RIT in the deaf dorm, oh the tales she told...

You're too kind ... unless you mean that deaf girls are the sluttiest ...

Deaf girls have all sorts of advantages. For one thing, we're easier to approach. If you blow your pick-up line it won't matter, because we didn't hear it. We're likely to smile and nod and hope desperately that you didn't just inform us that our mother was just killed in a terrible accident.

At the very least we're amusing. When 'tortellini' = 'turtle weenie', everything is amusing.

(NB - to clarify, I am not profoundly deaf, although I've been hearing-impaired since childhood. I don't use ASL, I lip-read pretty well, and I get by one-on-one in an exam room. Or one-on-one generally. Just not in crowds.)

glatt 09-27-2013 05:22 PM

I didn't notice anything even remotely unusual about your hearing ability when we had lunch, ortho.

Griff 09-27-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 877355)
...there is no shame in wearing one even if you're still on the young side.

Young side of what? ;) Imma think on what you're saying.

xoxoxoBruce 09-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 877355)
They make them so tiny now, you really can't see them...

Hiding them blows half of their value, when people see them they make an effort to speak more clearly. I've even had a judge give me the benefit of the doubt after seeing them. ;)

orthodoc 09-27-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 877426)
I didn't notice anything even remotely unusual about your hearing ability when we had lunch, ortho.

:)
I'm glad. I manage very well one on one, in a quiet environment. I do a lot of educated guessing, but as long as things stay in context I'm usually right.

busterb 09-27-2013 08:44 PM

Always some AH that sees them and talks as loud as they can.

footfootfoot 09-30-2013 01:45 PM

I have shit for figure ground hearing. I would get a hearing aid in a heartbeat if it would help. I love my glasses because I like to see. Hearing is another of my favorite senses. Collect the whole set!

The other thought I had is another one of my million dollar thoughts that I am going to work on and therefore not post it here. Or hear, as the case may be.

We're big fans of corrupting language and we came up with turtle weenie soup not based on mis hearing but on word play.

Gravdigr 09-30-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 877765)
I have shit for figure ground hearing.

Is there a short (& simple) explanation of what that is? Everything I found looked over my head.

ALSO: WTF is turtle weenie soup? I can't work it out.

glatt 09-30-2013 03:14 PM

tortellini

Gravdigr 09-30-2013 04:13 PM

Ah, thx.

Momdigr got a kick outta that.

footfootfoot 09-30-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 877782)
Is there a short (& simple) explanation of what that is? Everything I found looked over my head.

ALSO: WTF is turtle weenie soup? I can't work it out.

The ability to distinguish the voice of the person speaking to you (the figure) from the background sounds (the ground)

Think of looking at a person standing in a wooded area, that's like the sound you want to hear. If your hearing is good, then the person is obvious. If you have a figure ground problem it's as though the person was wearing camo or a ghillie suit. It all looks/sounds the same.

orthodoc 09-30-2013 04:49 PM

Hearing aids don't make noisy environments perfect, but they improve things. Part of the problem is that, when you first get your new aids, your brain has lost practice at distinguishing certain sounds. Along with my aids I was given a multi-lesson course by the audiologist to get me hearing accurately again. It took time.

It was emotional for me the first time I drove home with my aids in, got out of the car, and heard the birds. I could hear every little thing, and I knew then what I'd been missing. They say people hate hearing aids at first and have to work up to using them, but for me it was like being blind and suddenly having vision. You couldn't persuade me to take my aids out.

I will say, I still hate hearing appliances running. But that's a very very small price to pay.

PS @foot - if you can't distinguish speech from background sounds, you might want to think about getting an audiogram done and getting at least one hearing aid. Pure tone loss lags far behind the ability to distinguish speech.

orthodoc 09-30-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 877795)
Ah, thx.

Momdigr got a kick outta that.

You're welcome. ;)

My kids got a kick out of it too; now it's an inside joke. We can shock our guests during the holidays.

Aliantha 09-30-2013 09:18 PM

That is usually referred to as industrial deafness over here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 877796)
The ability to distinguish the voice of the person speaking to you (the figure) from the background sounds (the ground)

Think of looking at a person standing in a wooded area, that's like the sound you want to hear. If your hearing is good, then the person is obvious. If you have a figure ground problem it's as though the person was wearing camo or a ghillie suit. It all looks/sounds the same.