The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting graphs and charts department (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24480)

xoxoxoBruce 11-07-2017 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it's true, in the US the streets are paved with gold, we be filthy rich.

Gravdigr 11-08-2017 11:54 PM

They paved paradise...

xoxoxoBruce 11-09-2017 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What are those billions of pictures being taken of?

Gravdigr 11-09-2017 02:16 PM

A lot of my pics are an attempt to identify something I can't make out with mine eyes.

WTH is that? Click.

Well, with the EOS T6 it's more like CLICK!

glatt 11-09-2017 02:55 PM

I recently discovered the triple click on the home key microscope that the iphone has. It's really effective, especially when you play with the colors and contrast. You can see stuff that is basically invisible.

xoxoxoBruce 11-10-2017 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You know why you see so many of us old folks these days? It's getting too expensive to die.

Undertoad 11-11-2017 07:41 AM

"I want to find the old people and tell them, no!! Don't buy burial insurance. They WILL bury you! You know why? Society hates a rotting corpse!"

--Jackie Kashian

Gravdigr 11-11-2017 03:16 PM

♪ ♫If the city don't bury you, baby♪ ♫
♪ ♫Lord knows, the county will♪ ♫

~Boot Hill, as performed by SRV:devil:

glatt 11-13-2017 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So when you are a parent who has a kid in college, and you have a nest egg you have slowly scrimped and saved for over time, the government looks at your nest egg when it is deciding what sort of financial aid you deserve, and they determine how much they are going to take.

For years, leading up to my kid going off to college, they would leave around $40k to $50k of your nest egg alone and take a percentage of the nest egg above that. But now that my kid is in college, look at what they protect. This is for a 48 year old parent. It changes by a hundred bucks or so for each year you get older, protecting more.

Attachment 62361

College getting more expensive and at the same time, financial aid is being reduced.:(

glatt 11-13-2017 11:01 AM

Fucking Republicans and their fucking austerity.

Griff 11-13-2017 05:20 PM

Austerity for some, tiny American flags for others.

They've (both parties really) punished savings for years, most recently the GOP floating ideas about smaller 401 K contributions and as always bitching about Social Security. Too be fair Hillary gave them cover on Social Security because she too has no fucking idea how people live.

Happy Monkey 11-13-2017 05:51 PM

Four sources of income exist for retired people - Social Security, private pensions, personal savings, and charity. Republicans have all but eliminated pensions, everyone knows their opposition to Social Security, and the 401K proposal was a surprising attack on savings.

I guess you could put, generically, "higher taxes" as a Democratic barrier to savings, but the Republicans end up worse on that, as well - they are against the progressive income tax. If taxes are made less progressive, or, in the worst case, flat, it will be even harder to build savings up from zero.

Are there any Republican proposals that make retirement easier, other than allowing the children of the extremely wealthy to retire when their parents die?

Griff 11-14-2017 06:38 AM

The GOP advocates dying young as the retirement plan for working people.

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2017 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who's right? Base your choice on unproven allegations? Discard even proven allegations in favor of policies? Vote on character rather than policy?

Undertoad 12-01-2017 04:10 PM

I guess, but

Roy Moore scandal begins abt Nov 5
Poll taken Nov 10-15
Al Franken allegation announced Nov 16