The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

DanaC 05-23-2015 01:10 PM

This one is appealing to me at the moment. I'm thinking I'mma watch it later, or maybe tomorrow.

infinite monkey 05-23-2015 09:39 PM

Well there are no ricks or daryls, if that's what you're asking. But it's still pretty good...

glatt 05-25-2015 06:49 PM

Boyhood was good.

Gravdigr 05-28-2015 01:54 PM

Watched "Seventh Son" Tuesday evening...

Meh.

Trailer

Can anyone tell me why Jeff Bridges has to talk with a mouth full of marbles ever since the "True Grit" remake?

wolf 06-12-2015 10:57 AM

I am one of the last remaining DVD holdouts on netflix, I guess. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy (okay, not great, but really liked the mix tape) and The Judge recently. I have John Wick waiting for a day off so I can watch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Gravdigr 06-12-2015 11:07 AM

I've missed "The Judge" somehow. Just watched the trailer at YouTube. Looks like it'll be good.

wolf 06-12-2015 01:24 PM

It was. Courtroom drama and aging parent stuff all in one package. With Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall. Two amazing Bobs at one low price.

Griff 06-13-2015 04:08 PM

I finally saw Birdman. Excellent work by Keaton, Norton, Watts, Stone even Galafinakis brought game. Norton is some powerful shit.

DanaC 06-17-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 931026)
I finally saw Birdman. Excellent work by Keaton, Norton, Watts, Stone even Galafinakis brought game. Norton is some powerful shit.

I keep thinking I should watch that movie. It looks really good - I've heard people say it's Keaton's best performance.

As some of you might have picked up I've been following a Lost/Person of Interest/Michael Emerson trail and, as is often the case with these little connection trails, it's taken me to some interesting movies. Often stuff I'd just never really watch otherwise, like some tiny indie movie that never even had a release over here - or subject matter that wouldn't normally draw me in (like Jumping off Bridges - sounded good and worthy but not that appealing - yet turned out to be a really quite profoundly affecting film).

Last night I watched Straight Jacket , a 2004 satirical comedy set in 50s Hollywood. Wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first - they've kept a lot of the stage feel to it (it was originally a play) - but I ended up warming to it. It was laugh out loud funny in places.

wolf 07-14-2015 11:13 PM

Foxcatcher
I think they underplayed DuPont's craziness.

BigV 07-15-2015 04:47 PM

Recently enjoyed "Cyrus" and "Chappie".

on deck:

"Ex Machina"
"The Blue Room"

DanaC 07-15-2015 05:05 PM

My niece was raving Ex-Machina last week.

Gravdigr 07-16-2015 04:29 PM

That's a strange flick.

Women. They be tricksy. Even when they be robots.

I'm told I gave up on "Chappie" too early, and that it got way better than it began. I may give it another shot.

BigV 07-17-2015 08:29 PM

I overlooked a film with Kevin Costner.

Black and White.

Highly recommended. I'm not sure if it's based on a true story, it certainly feels like it. His scene in the courtroom when confronted with a charge of racism is the highlight of the film. I feel exactly the same way. Well done, very well done.

it 07-18-2015 12:03 AM

I watched Chappie and ex-Machina side by side awhile ago..

It was interesting. Obviously not that far off in topics... While ex-machina was more mature in style, I think Chappie explored the ideas presented much further. Both ended up taking similar ideas at the core into very different directions, and in an odd way combine to make an interesting argument for simulation vs. emulation.