The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

Griff 03-05-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1027414)
it was -5F this morning when I got up.

ouchie bro

fargon 03-05-2019 01:33 PM

Rite now it's 27F.

Gravdigr 03-05-2019 02:50 PM

Heat wave here too. 36 degrees and sunny.

xoxoxoBruce 03-06-2019 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When the wind comes rolling down the plain...

Griff 03-06-2019 06:21 AM

5 F at ski time this am

tw 03-06-2019 07:52 AM

Is this a discussion for Congressmen? So much discussion about the weather. And nobody has yet to do anything about it?

Gravdigr 03-06-2019 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 66668

It was 20 degrees when I got up this morning. Looks like it's gonna be a bluebird day, though.

fargon 03-06-2019 11:55 AM

It's 33F on my patio right now. It was 7F this morning when I fed the Cats. It is supposed to get progressively warmer this week the mid 40's next week. I'm ready to break out the shorts and sandals.

fargon 03-06-2019 12:08 PM

I got Mr Heater to light yesterday, so Yay. I'll see if I can find a Picture.

Gravdigr 03-06-2019 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1027595)
Mr Heater

Patio heater?

Or one of these?

Attachment 66670

fargon 03-06-2019 12:46 PM

Patio heater it mounts on a 20lb tank. This is what I have.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...hoCKRcQAvD_BwE

Gravdigr 03-06-2019 02:54 PM

I think Popdigr has one of those, a two-burner.

slang 03-06-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1027536)
5 F at ski time this am

Was it enjoyable?

Is the snow better at that temperature? Er, I mean ice.

At what temp might you decide it's too cold?

Griff 03-07-2019 06:29 AM

We xc skied at, I think, -15F once this year that was too cold. We used to use wooden skis so we'd end up fussing with waxes until we nailed it. This snow is a little weird. It fell very light and fluffy but it adheres to itself. It is unfortunately not on top of any decent cover so you have occasional rocks and ice patches. The snow doesn't blow around enough to refill the tracks so the base remains sketchy.

Was it enjoyable? It was kinda meh because we can't ski the mix of terrain we want to and the snow has poor kick.

slang 03-07-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1027650)
We xc skied at, I think, -15F once this year that was too cold. We used to use wooden skis so we'd end up fussing with waxes until we nailed it. This snow is a little weird. It fell very light and fluffy but it adheres to itself. It is unfortunately not on top of any decent cover so you have occasional rocks and ice patches. The snow doesn't blow around enough to refill the tracks so the base remains sketchy.

That does sound cold. Too cold for me. As an adult(ish) anyway.

I don't even think about snow much any more but your description brings back fond memories of our teenage, winter, all night mild mayhem weekends on round top park. 1982.

The sting of the cold air in our lungs was sharp. All skin had to be covered. You surely needed a full snowsuit. None of us had any body fat back then. :lol:

We had ATCs, skiis, toboggans and dirt bikes all running around by moon light. We had just about everything cept a horse there.

Guys would pull the sleds around with the ATCs. They'd wipe out, get back up and do it again. We'd laugh ourselves to tears.

We'd watch the skiers go down the back hill, then pull them back up. There were downhill and uphill tracks in the snow.

We would set up a kitchen in one of the pavilions. Someone there was always cooking hot dogs or something to eat on the grills.

There were guys shooting 22 pistols at cans on the pond over here, and people drinking whiskey and dancing crazy over there. Everyone was doing their thing in with no problems or hassles. Not even from the police.

I remember the bite of the cold most. Hands, feet, nose, eyes. Body parts don't work as well. Wear a ski mask with a cloth over your nose and mouth underneath. Just to be able to breath in warmer air.

And the laughing. To the point that your ribs would hurt. That you'd have to lay down in the snow just to straighten out.

Completely unsupervised rural teen weekend vehicular fun. There was no permanent damage to the park. There were no fatalities or even serious injuries. Not even pregnancies ( that I know of :blush: )

Wow, those were cool times. That was back when cold weather was fun for me.

Rural Pennsylvania. Early 80s. Honda XL500s