The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent Movies You've Seen? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21617)

Clodfobble 10-05-2010 05:45 PM

Got around to seeing "The Informant" last night. I went in thinking it was a drama, so I was pleasantly surprised. Very funny black comedy.

Cloud 10-05-2010 05:58 PM

Akeelah and the Bee on tv. Superb!

Shawnee123 10-06-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 686754)
Got around to seeing "The Informant" last night. I went in thinking it was a drama, so I was pleasantly surprised. Very funny black comedy.

Glad to know that. I wondered if it were any good.

Spexxvet 10-06-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 686656)
M Night Shama-lama-ding-dong

Great minds! I call him "Midnight Shama-lama-ding-dong"

Spexxvet 10-06-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 686755)
Akeelah and the Bee on tv. Superb!

Is that about an apiarist?

Shawnee123 10-07-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 686910)
Great minds! I call him "Midnight Shama-lama-ding-dong"

Hahhahahaa! I've never heard it pronounced...so Shama-lama-ding-dong it is!

Spexxvet 11-12-2011 08:47 AM

Watched Melancholia last night. Had the same sort of feel, to me, as Black Swan. Visually, it was incredible, the acting/cast was outstanding, the interaction of the characters was unsettling.

sullage 12-12-2011 12:23 AM

I watched Hesher recently. pretty great

BrianR 12-12-2011 12:10 PM

I saw the very first showing of The Muppets in the Dallas area. Awesome and entertaining as always. I loved the nostalgia shots. They still have that same old magic, all these years later.

I noticed that a nearly everyone in the theater with me was my age.

Highly recommended for anyone but especially original Muppet fans.

Spexxvet 12-12-2011 12:19 PM

Super 8. Goonies meets Cloverfield

DanaC 12-12-2011 02:16 PM

The Muppet Show was the main purpose of Sundays as far as I was concerned as a kid: bath and jimjams, then cosy on the couch for the Muppets, followed by Heart to Heart (and when they got together it was moyder), then bed :p

Even now, alll these years later, if I think of the opening music it still gives me a little shiver of anticipation.

Scriveyn 02-17-2012 03:05 PM

Just came across Mary and Max, a feature length animation film. It was on TV here, but from the website (very much worth a look) I see it's been around in the UK and Australia and maybe more countries. - Great stuff.

This sums it up for me too:
Quote:

REVIEW:
(snip)an original clay animation film by Australian director Adam Elliot. Based on a true story, the film centers on the unique pen pal relationship between two social outcasts; Mary, an awkward 8 year-old Australian girl trying to make sense of the adult world surrounding her and Max, an obese, neurotic, obsessive-compulsive Jewish man in his 40s (oh, and he has asbergers syndrome too) living in New York City.

While the premise sounds a bit like a pedophile’s wet dream, the relationship between the two characters never goes beyond friendship, even twenty years down the line when Mary has grown up and finally figured out where babies comes from (watch for a hilarious segment where Max addresses Mary’s question with a very innovative take on the birds and the bees).

While I usually don’t go crazy for the animation genre, MARY AND MAX struck a particular chord with me, most likely because of its quirky, highly detailed aesthetic and its wicked adult humour (this is no pixar flick). In its 90 minutes, MARY AND MAX manages to breech every taboo topic possible, from fat jokes, homosexuality, and suicide, to alcoholism, prescription drug abuse and mime-murdering- while at the same time, evoking a charming, highly original atmosphere reminiscent of a Roald Dahl story.(snip)

Clodfobble 02-17-2012 06:06 PM

Oh yes, Netflix streaming has that. Really excellent. Laugh-out-loud funny and also sad enough to make you cry.

bluecuracao 02-17-2012 10:37 PM

I think Mary and Max is on OnDemand, too. I'll have to watch it this weekend, if it is.

Last week we really enjoyed Dreamhouse with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz (huh, looked up the spelling of her name, and saw that they're married to each other).

I was surprised that I liked Real Steel so much. I wasn't a huge fan of Transformers, and thought that it would be just like it...but it was way better.

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 07:07 AM

I saw Sinister over the weekend. I give it 4 out of 5 GASPS©

I admit to being able to suspend disbelief in order to have the crap scared out of me. Even so, I've been disappointed in most of the scary movie fare as of late (case in point: The Cabin in the Woods can bite me) but this one was sufficiently creepy. And Ethan Hawke. Yay.