The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Greenwich, London, UK (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14868)

Sundae 07-03-2013 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would honestly wear these. They are gorgeous.
I'd probably try to do something completely improbable in them too, like walk on a shingle beach :rolleyes:

Sundae 07-03-2013 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Lock proper.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:08 AM

Food of All Nations

2 Attachment(s)
Well, not all.
But many.

We're on the left hand side of the market now, and another dedicated outside food area. We've eaten by this point, which is a shame, as we were offered so many food samples. Tiny ones of course, but given the amount of stalls we could have filled up for free! Must remember this next time Dani comes to visit ;)

This was about 13.30 and Mum was convinced they were "giving it away" because they wanted to pack up. Hello? Camden Lock comes alive in the afternoons. I wasn't as dismissive as I might sound here, but she's kinda basing Camden on her memories of wholesale food markets, not on those that cater to tourists, and especially teenage tourists.

Anyway, Cowboy Cottage Pie and the detail of their embarrassment.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Slightly sinister looking chap on the afternoon tea stall. I'm not even sure he's from the Commonwealth.

2. One of the outside dining areas in this part of the market. No mopeds.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Merkins!
Actually I don't know, may also be imposters.
Mum said it all looked very dry (sez the woman who cooks beef to buggery.) I assured her that if it really was smoked American-style then there was no way it was dry inside.

2. Even being stuffed to the lungs with Chinese buffet, my mouth managed to salivate when I passed this stall. Damn the French and their Tour Eiffel.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Italian. Yum.

2. Something for Lola. Yorkshire puddings as street food? Well, okay. Makes sense in many ways.

I didn't take photos of the stalls where we were implored to eat samples.
It just encourages them.
But they were throwing themselves at Mum. "Mummy, Mummy! Try this!"
I assured her it meant she looked affluent :)

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:27 AM

Drinkies: Round One

2 Attachment(s)
We didn't have a drink from either of these stalls.
I just loved the colourful vibe of the Smoothie stall.

I also offered Mum a Sangria (I was going to have a lemonade) but she decided it probably wouldn't have enough alcohol in it for the price, and that she would rather sit in a bar with a toilet if she was going to have a cocktail. I didn't offer the drink randomly, my parents have holidayed in Spain for years and Sangria is a staple Spanish drink - a bit like Pimms over here. But cheaper.

Mum's need to be near a toilet comes from years of bowel trouble (sorry, TMI), much of it stress-related. So I do understand. I was trying to bring a bit of the al-fresco lifestyle into a grey day in North London, was all.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:36 AM

Horses for Courses

2 Attachment(s)
The antiques part of Camden starts in The Stables Market, although there is overlap.
Yes, it used it be horse-based. When barges and narrow boats were drawn by horses, Camden Lock, so yes it was and still is a working lock. As such it was a centre for vets and blacksmiths.

Now Mum and I did not go as far as the antiques market.
She's 63 you know!
By which I mean she'd been on her feet a while and I could see her flagging.
But I did dabble in the shallows to get pics of some of the scultures for you.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Is that horse sniffing me?

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:42 AM

Non-equestrian Sculptures

2 Attachment(s)
We couldn't go into Cyberdog as the music was too loud. It would have made Mum's ears bleed. But they sell the more extreme-end of clubwear. I don't mean fetish, just out-there.

And a big chap outside a South African restaurant.
We didn't really want to eat zebra that day, even though we were handed a money-off flyer. Nice looking place though. I kept the stall in front in the frame to try to give some perspective. Not sure it works.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:44 AM

Camden Tat

2 Attachment(s)
But it is colourful.
And detail.

Sundae 07-03-2013 06:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Outside dining and decoration.

glatt 07-03-2013 07:03 AM

I wish I had been able to spend more time at Camden Lock when I was there last year. Very cool place. I never saw the moped seating, but that's really funny.
We rode that water bus from Camden on the canal to Little Venice. That was fun, to be in a boat seeing hidden parts of London, insulated from the hustle and bustle, but right in the middle of it all.

Sundae 07-03-2013 07:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Gaudi-esque. I wish Mum had come to this part with me, I'd have loved a pic of me on this bench #vain.
But she was having a sit-down and that's fair enough.

2. A vest top we saw which really made Mum laugh. She said if it had been a t-shirt she'd have bought it for Dad. He'd never wear it out, but would have loved it to sleep in :eek: