The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's For Breakfast? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23077)

Trilby 07-30-2011 04:12 PM

how much is a rasher?

as to egg salad - just make a mess of it and tupperware it for later. sheesh! all that work for one lousy breakfast? ya gotta hard boil the eggs, mash 'em up, etc. same with spaghetti. LEFTOVERS people! LEFTOVERS!

Aliantha 07-30-2011 06:26 PM

peanut butter on toast with a coffee.

Pico and ME 07-30-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 747450)
how much is a rasher?

as to egg salad - just make a mess of it and tupperware it for later. sheesh! all that work for one lousy breakfast? ya gotta hard boil the eggs, mash 'em up, etc. same with spaghetti. LEFTOVERS people! LEFTOVERS!

I googled because I wondered too.
Its only a silly single slice.

Sundae 07-31-2011 07:17 AM

Aye - a rasher of bacon is a slice.

But if you're offered a truckle of cheese - take it. Unless you're allergic to dairy products I mean. They vary in size, but let's put it this way, you won't get it all in one sandwich.

I'm still working on a round of toast or a round of sandwiches.
It's baffled me since 1991, when I first encountered it.

Clodfobble 07-31-2011 09:02 AM

Are you suggesting that "a round of sandwiches" is an Americanism?

BigV 07-31-2011 09:07 AM

coffee. a cup. Well, a cup at a time.

bbro 07-31-2011 09:42 AM

Same as yesterday. Added some ham in this time.

Sundae 07-31-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 747497)
Are you suggesting that "a round of sandwiches" is an Americanism?

Not at all. I never considered it foreign, unless I meant "foreign to me".
I just don't get it.

I worked out that a round of sandwiches was effectively a sandwich. Which seemed a con. Two slices of bread is a SANDWICH - no other words need to be introduced.
But then we have a round of toast. Which surely has to mean two slices of toast, right? No. Not always.

And then I grew out of the chip on my shoulder which said anything I didn't undertsand was my fault and I was stupid for asking. "A round of sandwiches [toast]? What is that exactly?" And you know what? I'm still not sure.

Slightly OT, but when people asked for a wine spritzer I also had to ask whether they meant wine with sparkling water or lemonade. Pretty much everyone looked at me as if I was thicker than a whale omelette. But the truth is they were probably split 60/40 as to what comprises a spritzer, and I did not appreciate taking the wrong drink out of my wages at the end of the night. Yeah okay, I drinked it, but only when I was offered a drink by a customer, and if it was a wine/ lemonade mix it was yukky.

Aliantha 07-31-2011 05:44 PM

A round of sandwiches is just one sandwich. A round of toast is just one slice of toast, unless you're going to make two slices of toast into a sandwich I guess.

My mum used to use that phrase quite often, and that was always the context.

If there were a few kids over and Mum was making sandwiches for us, she'd say, "I'll just make a few rounds of sandwiches.", meaning more than one sandwich.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect the term is quite old and from the days prior to bread tins when most loaves were rounder rather than square.

Aliantha 07-31-2011 05:45 PM

Oh, and a wine spritzer over here is usually half half of wine and soda water.

Gravdigr 07-31-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 747389)
Egg salad sounds pretty damn good right about now.

And it was.

wolf 07-31-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 747457)
peanut butter on toast with a coffee.

How American of you!

Thought you lot were all about Vegemite. That's what the song says anyway ...

re: rounds ...

The only things that come in rounds over here are drinks and merries.

There is no special collective word for toast. It's just toast, although the conventional restaurant serving is two slices. Most home servings are two slcies as well, as toasters come with even numbers of slots, and it's silly to warm them both up for just one piece of bread.

Perhaps we could use a special collective word for toast.

A horde of toast.

A brace of toast.

A stack of toast. No. Pancakes have that one sewn up.

A barrage of toast.

A pop of toast.

An assemblage of toast.

I need some help.

And some sleep, apparently.

Aliantha 07-31-2011 11:47 PM

Plenty of PB gets eaten over here. My boys go through half a kg a week sometimes. And of course, I eat it sometimes too.

I'm not that fond of vegemite, although it's nice on toast when you're feeling a bit seedy. I think it's all the vit B.

monster 08-01-2011 12:20 AM

Breakfast will be explanations to the kids about the theft of my bike and the effect of that on our biking vacation to Yellowstone. Like hey, guess what, we can't go yet

grynch 08-01-2011 02:30 AM

todays breakfast was coffee , croissant and butter
yesterdays breakfast was coffee, croissant and butter
tomorrows breakfast will be coffee, croissant and butter

I do get tired of this country some days... would someone like to come over and open an IHOP near me?

http://www.bostonsbestcoffee.com/_im..._croissant.jpg