The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books you're currently reading??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4348)

limey 10-05-2004 04:46 PM

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thomson
Natasha's Dance by Orlando Figes

limey 10-05-2004 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
I read Neil Gaiman's biography of Douglas Adams, so of course I had to reread the Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm currently up to book 4.

They're currently rerunning the Guide on BBC Radio 4, here's a link to related stuff.

Happy Monkey 10-05-2004 05:28 PM

I've been listening. Fun!

wolf 10-14-2004 03:41 PM

The American Leadership Tradition

Actually more interesting than it seems to be from the title. Takes a look at various moral issues across the political landscape, from Washington to Clinton, with side trips to visit Henry Clay, Booker T. Washington, and John D. Rockefeller.

Happy Monkey 10-14-2004 04:11 PM

At long last, I've started "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. It's been on my "to read" pile for too long.

footfootfoot 10-14-2004 09:02 PM

Blazed through DaVinci code in about five or six hours. Very entertaining. I bet that guy is farting through silk.

wolf 10-14-2004 10:13 PM

I thought that was the lamest mystery story I've read in years, but all my hippy chick, new age friends swear it's the most significant thing they've read in years (probably a true statement on some of their parts).

Cyber Wolf 10-15-2004 06:52 AM

Once I break out of work today and get to the book store, I'll be buying and reading the 3rd issue of Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (a comic graphic novel for those not in the know) and Terry Pratchett's new book Going Postal. I expect to get through both over the course of this weekend.

flippant 10-16-2004 05:36 PM

Rainer Rilke; took me hours to pick just one last night. Do Barnes and Noble employees ever look at you like you need to get a life? (I did put the remaining 49 books back before closing time)

wolf 10-17-2004 01:54 PM

I have an edition of Rilke (picked up off a clearance rack for a buck) that has the original German text on the left with the English translation on the facing page. The poems really do read better in German, but it's interesting to see how the translator worked, made word choices, and so on.

busterb 10-17-2004 02:29 PM

Frank G. Slaughter "Constantine" " The miracle of the flaming cross."

Trilby 10-17-2004 02:56 PM

the complete short stories of O. Henry. Say what you will, they make for good third-shift on the crazy ward reading.

slang 10-25-2004 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
At long last, I've started "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. It's been on my "to read" pile for too long.

Just pulled that up on Amazon. What an interesting array of reviews they have listed there.

One star......or five. Too bad I dont actually read books and instead prefer to watch Fox News. I might give it a go. :biggrin:

Kitsune 10-25-2004 09:46 AM

Jon Stewart's America -- has anyone else picked this one up, yet? I started cracking up the moment I opened the cover and saw the old school book check-in/out stamp on the inside cover.

I give it higher marks than The Onion's Our Dumb Century. :thumbsup:

Happy Monkey 10-25-2004 09:50 AM

Any book banned by Wal*Mart has at least one thing going for it.

My favorite quote so far: "The Magna Carta was signed 1n 1215. This is, by law, the only thing you are required to know about it."