The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

xoxoxoBruce 06-03-2019 12:35 AM

Ouch, that smarts.:(

Griff 06-03-2019 06:06 AM

Not great for paint.

Gravdigr 07-10-2019 11:05 AM

This Day In Weather History

July 10

1913 – The air temperature in Furnace Creek, California, reached 134 °F (56.7 °C), the highest reading ever recorded on Earth.

xoxoxoBruce 07-10-2019 11:05 PM

Saturday night I was coming down the PA Turnpike from the west and saw an illuminated sign about 5 ft high on the shoulder that read "CAUTION Heavy Rain Ahead". Never saw that sort of sign on the pike before. By the time I got off at Rte 100(Exton) the rain was coming down at more than 2 inches per hour according to the weather bureau. Seemed heavier than that.

All the sane people were pulling over to wait it out, the visibility was about a car length, every intersection was flooded, and both shoulders flooded and moving if there was any slope. Couldn't get anywhere near the speed limit which is a shame because no cop is going to get out of his cruiser in that shit.:haha:

Undertoad 07-10-2019 11:19 PM

All fillin' up that Marsh Creek State Park Reservoir, which is where I sat and ate my lunch nuggets today :D

Gravdigr 07-11-2019 03:49 AM

Almost 4am. 78 degrees.

Everything I got is sticking to everything else I got.

glatt 07-11-2019 08:27 AM

Crazy flash flooding in Arlington on Tuesday. Neighborhoods nowhere near rivers or streams flooded severely for the first time ever. Just a very hard rain for a brief time. And the water was gone in a half an hour. Some houses were pushed off their foundations. I think it was 3.5 inches in an hour in localized neighborhoods.

Crazy stuff. My hardware store had its basement completely filled. Destroyed over $100k of inventory. And no flood insurance because it never floods here.

Meanwhile, our basement stayed mostly dry since we put on downspout extensions last year.

tw 07-11-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1035461)
Meanwhile, our basement stayed mostly dry since we put on downspout extensions last year.

Damp basements are only due to fools who think ground must be flat. Ground should drop at least 1 foot for every ten out. Better landscaping means earth is must steeper all around the house.

Downspout extensions only required when the landscaper is totally unprofessional - stupidly want to make ground flat.

Furthermore, that ground that steeply rises up to the house must also remain at least 6 inches below the siding. That must foundation must separate the structure from earth to avert termites and other problems. Again, failure (moisture anywhere in a basement) created because a landscaper had no idea how to do his job. Rain was not the problem. Human ignorance was.

UT once posted pictures of a (constantly damp) residence because ground all around the house was defectively graded.

Of course, it may not matter if a backyard river has nowhere else to go. But even then, landscaping means the house remains a island - a last thing to flood.

Downspout extensions are necessary when a landscaper did not know what he was doing.

glatt 07-11-2019 11:47 AM

If there even was a landscaper. There is no evidence that our property was landscaped.

It's more accurate to say the builder who located the house is responsible.

tw 07-11-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1035463)
There is no evidence that our property was landscaped.

The builder defines grading. Otherwise there is still a big hole (no landscaping) around the outside of that foundation.

What we choose to call that landscaper can be Juan or Bulldozer Joe. He is still the guy who graded that land. And he is the guy who either eliminates a damp basement or makes it wet.

Then extension downspouts must be installed to cure symptoms of inferior workmanship. So yes, that bad landscape may be directly traceable to the landscaper who is also called the builder. Who he is is irrelevant. What that (some) human created is relevant. Damp basements only exist when a human screws up.

monster 07-11-2019 03:24 PM

Guess where ArchaeologistGirl is? Yup, slap bang in the middle of:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48945821

One tree down in the yard, one on the house but didn't go through the roof, several at the site which the Greek Archaeology Service has closed for now.....

(The dig is Olynthos)

Clodfobble 07-11-2019 10:42 PM

Yeesh. Glad she's safe.

Griff 07-11-2019 11:10 PM

Yikes!

BigV 07-19-2019 08:32 PM

Rainy here yesterday and today. Just exceeded the expected high when the temperature rose to 70 degrees.

Carruthers 07-25-2019 10:08 AM

1600 and just checked the thermometer. It's reading 37C/98.6F and it's officially the hottest day of the week/year so far.

The thermometer is on a north facing wall but is probably over reading due to warmth from the house but it really is uncomfortably warm here this afternoon.

Dad is holding up reasonably well and we're both keeping the fluid intake going so OK on that front.

I just worry that Sod's law might strike and a hospital or GP visit is needed for some reason or other.

Watch and pray!