The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Proud Parent Brag Time (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13589)

Aliantha 11-30-2014 02:15 AM

V, it's two down two to go. :)

monster 12-03-2014 08:35 PM

Hebe made All American! With her 200 medley relay team at State Championships. (That's top 100 across the country)

Griff 12-04-2014 06:13 AM

Way to go!

BigV 12-04-2014 10:56 AM

Aden Mav Max Eva.

I knew that. sorry. :/

glatt 01-03-2015 12:30 PM

We gave our 15yo daughter tickets to see Pippen at the National Theater for Christmas. She's really into broadway shows now and it was pretty much the perfect gift for her. She and my wife went, and she waited by the stage door to get autographs and chat with the cast.

So a couple days ago, she told us that she really wanted to go see it again before it left town. She was counting out all her money that she had, raiding her coin jar to come up with the ticket price, but it was really stressing her out because she had spent so much for Christmas gifts. She also had plans to get a birthday friend a present and go to the Hobbit with another friend, so funds were really tight.

So I suggested she just do the last minute lottery to buy unsold seats for $25 and just leave it up to the Pippen gods to see if she was going to get to see the show again. Maybe it would be sold out, or maybe not.

So she just went to downtown DC on the Metro all by herself,and went up to the box office and got her name on the lottery list, and won! She got one of the $150 orchestra seats for only $25.

So I'm proud of her that she's independent enough to get herself downtown in a major city and get seats to a show. Presumably, she'll get herself back home as well, but that remains to be seen.

Clodfobble 01-03-2015 12:37 PM

Proud of her that's she's independent enough, but proud of you and the Mrs. for encouraging/allowing her to be that independent. So many parents today would say, "Alone in a major city? Not my delicate snowflake!"

monster 01-03-2015 02:39 PM

That is very cool in all aspects :)

xoxoxoBruce 01-03-2015 02:59 PM

Yeah glatt, sounds like you done good by her. I can't even comprehend what it's like for a mid-teen in public any more, guess that's part of the parenting thing, letting them learn and experience while knowing when a guard against wolves and grizzlys is needed.

glatt 01-03-2015 04:28 PM

I'm glad she has a cheap Tracphone. She called when she got the ticket, and called now that the show is over and she's getting autographs. So we know she's doing OK and could drive downtown and rescue her if she needed it. And she'll call when she gets to our metro station. It's a mile away and dark and raining now, so I'm happy to pick her up from the metro stop.

xoxoxoBruce 01-03-2015 05:16 PM

Yes, that's the difference these days. Being connected gives her some safety with her freedom, and keeps you sane during the process. :haha:

glatt 01-03-2015 05:29 PM

Well, she's been back for about an hour. Talking pretty much non-stop. She's really proud of herself.

Griff 01-03-2015 05:52 PM

:)

xoxoxoBruce 01-03-2015 09:24 PM

And over breakfast tomorrow she'll say, "Oh, I'm going to NYC next weekend." :shock:

BigV 01-05-2015 11:36 AM

Good job Mr and Mrs Glatt. You've done well, and it shows.

Clodfobble 01-30-2015 01:32 PM

I'm not his parent, but if Dana can refer to her younger brother as "our kid" per UK conventions, then I can too.

So my brother's new single release has a little feature in Texas Monthly, which is a not-small publication in the area. Warning: there is a super-douchey quote from my brother in the article, but that's who he is and we love him anyway. The song itself is embedded at the bottom of the article, and I'll admit that while I like the melody and lyrics, I hate the vocal processing. But still! My brother is in Texas Monthly magazine!