The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pictures of Flowers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11719)

footfootfoot 03-17-2013 06:06 PM

Rosa Mundi? Did she have a sister named Coati?

eta: googled Rosa Mundi. Looks like Ortho got it in one, I wasn't even in the right kingdom...

orthodoc 03-17-2013 07:28 PM

I had more than one variety of striped rose, but Rosa Mundi was the nicest.

Lola Bunny 03-18-2013 12:28 AM

I forgot to look for the tag today, sorry. I googled rosa mundi, and it's not it. This is not a rose variety. The Viet name is "hoa dao." You can google those words and check out the images. Vietnamese usually like to decorate with this plant for New Year. All the leaves fall off during the winter and when the weather warms up, these buds of flowers would bloom. Very pretty. It's typically in bright pink, varying shades of light pink, and white. It's unusual to be striped like that. It's also untypical although I've seen a few trees where they bloom both bright pink and white or light pink on different branches.

footfootfoot 03-18-2013 01:03 AM

Texas Peach, Prunus persica …Hoa Đào màu đỏ
Quote:

Hoa Dao (Peach Blossoms)

Peach blossom are an essential symbolic and decorative plant of all households during Tet. It is used to ward off evil spirits during the Tet celebrations. The symbol of its power originated because two legendary deities -- Tra and Uat Luy once lived on a large peach tree in a village located East of the Soc Son Mountain, in North Vietnam. They were powerful deities and evil spirits so feared them that even the sight of a peach plant would scare the evil spirits away. At the end of the every lunar year however, the deities have to return to heaven for an annual meeting, leaving the villagers defenseless. To fight against the evil spirits during the deities’ absence, villagers displayed peach plants in their homes and these were sufficient to scare the evil spirits away.

Lola Bunny 03-19-2013 09:07 AM

Ahhh.....I never know where traditions come from. I heard that peach blossoms ward off evil spirits. That's why you should plant some in the front yard and some in the back yard and no evil spirits will come into your home. :)

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2013 11:49 AM

But if evil spirits sneak in the house during the winter, when the peach blossoms bloom in the front and back yards, they'll be trapped in the house. :mg:

footfootfoot 03-19-2013 01:38 PM

chimney?

Lola Bunny 03-20-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 857485)
But if evil spirits sneak in the house during the winter, when the peach blossoms bloom in the front and back yards, they'll be trapped in the house. :mg:

They're afraid of the tree, not the leaves and flowers, so how are they gonna sneak in during the winter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 857493)
chimney?

Well then, just burn a fire. If the evil spirit goes down the chimney, like the big bad wolf, it'll just get its butt burned. :D

xoxoxoBruce 03-20-2013 09:50 PM

Then just build a house out of peach trees. :D

ZenGum 03-21-2013 01:53 AM

Wait, the Big Bad Wolf comes down the chimney? I thought that was Santa.

Wow, are you telling us the BBW IS Santa?

xoxoxoBruce 03-21-2013 01:59 AM

Down under, he'd come up you chimney. :haha:

footfootfoot 03-21-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 857707)
Wait, the Big Bad Wolf comes down the chimney? I thought that was Santa.

Wow, are you telling us the BBW IS Santa?

Have you ever seen them together?

I rest my case.

Lola Bunny 03-29-2013 05:52 PM

The big bad wolf comes down the chimney of the pig's brick house in The Three Little Pigs. :D my nephew likes to act out to these stories. I got my ass burned from climbing down the chimney in that last house. :p

Gravdigr 04-17-2013 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody know what these are?

Growing wild beside the river.

ETA: The blooms hang almost upside down.

Attachment 43697
Attachment 43698

Clodfobble 04-17-2013 10:21 PM

I was gonna guess Narcissus, but it turns out those are always yellow or white.