The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

classicman 11-04-2011 11:06 PM

lol. nice

skysidhe 11-18-2011 11:30 PM

Whilst waiting for my variety pears in a bag to ripen, I looked to the internet for help in knowing 'exactly' when a pear is ripe.

This little bit of advice amused me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what is the best way to eat a perfectly ripe pear?

"After years of study, scientists have found that a really juicy pear is best eaten while naked, in the bathtub, so that you needn't be concerned about the abundant juice streaming down your chin," he laughed

classicman 11-18-2011 11:36 PM

:)

Sundae 11-19-2011 05:49 AM

/\Snort/\

Mulling over last night, where Mum hosted a meal for 8 instead of the 6 she expected - thank goodness for her habitual over-catering!
She asked me this morning where I got the bottle for the dressing from. Eh?
The little plastic bottle that was in the kitchen.
Oh right.

It wasn't mine you see.
We'd realised that the balsamic dressing was out of date, so Mum binned it rather than have any of her guests notice and laugh at her. I offered just to whip some up but she declined. Then, as if by magic, a tiny bottle appeared on the table, filled with balsamic dressing.

One of Mum's friends then offered to dress the salad.

Now looking back, said friend is a cheeky mare.
She came to dinner with her own dressing.
She then proceeded to dress both bowls of salads with her own dressing, despite there being two dressings on the table so that people could dress to their own tastes.

As Mum assumed it was my dressing she just went along with it.

As you can tell from it being in this thread, I'm less annoyed than amused at her front.

ZenGum 11-19-2011 05:56 AM

Bring a bottle - ur doin' it wrong.

Griff 11-19-2011 05:57 AM

Are all your Mom's friends that cheeky? There is probably a novella in these dinners if you have the time. That is the kind of by-play that I never seem to notice and then am left wondering where the acrimony comes from.

Sundae 11-19-2011 06:54 AM

Well, there was the cheeky one who told another guest that she was coming on the day.
Said guest then called Mum, because she knew Mum didn't know.
And the other cheeky guest who called mid-afternoon to say she was bringing another colleague.

I'm not much on formality, but this had been arranged over a month ago, so two new guests were a bit of a surprise.
Imagine if Mum had been cooking something number-specific, like... steak I suppose, or lobster (unlikely, but you know what I mean). She'd have had to rush out last miniute to buy more.

Thing is, the group all used to work together, so they aren't as well attuned as people who come together as friends because they are similar. Conversely, this allows them to accept eachother's foibles more easily, and not take too much offence.

infinite monkey 12-09-2011 08:04 AM

Email from Kohl's: Extra 20% off, because Christmas only comes once a year.

Only? Once a year is way too damn much, if you ask me, especially since a year now goes by in about a month and a half, to us old folks.

I think every 5 years would be nice. ;)

Lamplighter 12-09-2011 09:01 AM

Every 5 years might be about right.

The out-years would fit right in with how often I remember the birthdays of my wife and 3 daughters.

Lamplighter 12-28-2011 09:03 AM

USA Today
Cathy Lynn Grossman
12/27/11
President Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton are the nation's
most-admired man and woman — again — in the annual USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

Quote:

Most admired men
1) Barack Obama
2) George W. Bush
3) Bill Clinton
4) Rev. Billy Graham
5) Warren Buffett
6-tie) Newt Gingrich
6-tie) Donald Trump
8) Pope Benedict XVI
9) Bill Gates
10) Thomas Monson

Most admired women
1) Hillary Clinton
2) Oprah Winfrey
3) Michelle Obama
4) Sarah Palin
5) Condoleezza Rice
6) Laura Bush
7-tie) Margaret Thatcher
7-tie) Ellen DeGeneres
9-tie) Queen Elizabeth
9-tie) Michele Bachmann
GBW is still on the list ???

Griff 12-28-2011 09:07 AM

Is there a most hated list, because I'd bet it would break out about the same.

classicman 12-28-2011 09:40 AM

The last sitting presidents always seem to be on those lists.

Oh, and USA TODAY is a Gannett-owned biased piece of crap. I used to work for them. (cheapshot, but it felt good)

infinite monkey 01-04-2012 11:06 AM

A student who lost their FA here due to non-attendance and general tomfoolery and incompetence, filled out a form to cancel their aid so they could "Unattend another school." Have at it, sweet cheeks. See you in a year, appeal in hand.

:lol:

DucksNuts 01-04-2012 03:16 PM

The dream I just woke up from..it was in a hospital and I was someone of importance.

Then this girl came with two round holes in her hand and a bit of sinew poking out. i was explaining that it looked like a fish had been tapping at the wound...when I looked down at my own hand and saw what looked like the baby turtle from finding nemo trying to sink into my skin..then it did and was visible under the surface. I grabbed a bottle of cleaner and tipped it over the bump and the turtle split the skin and came out..followed by a toadfish.

glatt 01-04-2012 03:18 PM

Woah!

infinite monkey 01-06-2012 07:16 AM

My cow orker is so cute and funny. She's fairly new. I adore her.

We were talking this morning about students and parents, and she said that she's not saving money for her kids' college, she's saving for their therapy.

She has a sense of humor like mine. :)

Clodfobble 01-06-2012 09:19 AM

The Mexican restaurant near my house has put up the following on their marquee:

We wish you the best of luck with your New Year's resolution... and we'll see you in about 3 weeks.

DucksNuts 01-06-2012 04:05 PM

hahaha thats awesome, Clod.

Lamplighter 01-24-2012 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oregon has a few political candidates with some weird ideas.
Allan Alley has run unsuccessfully for State Treasurer and Governor,
and is now the head of the State's Republican Party.

The Oregonian
Jeff Mapes
1/23/12

Oregon Republican chairman comes up with a new elephant logo
Quote:

It seems like Oregon Republicans have tried just about everything
to restore their old political dominance in the state, so why not try a new logo?<snip>
Attachment 36945

This is 'Behle the Active Elephant' not the previous trunk and tail down symbol of the Oregon GOP.
Leo went on to explain that the new elephant is named for Alley's mother, Behle,
who was a Republican activist herself when Alley was growing up.

So far, the party doesn't seem to be moving full speed ahead to implement the new logo.<snip>
Maybe it isn't easy to get an old elephant to learn near tricks.
It almost looks like the Republicans are wanting to screw Oregon (again) :rolleyes:

ZenGum 01-24-2012 06:48 PM

A new logo?! Brilliant! That's EXACTLY what the republican party needs. That wins my vote. These people are going places, I tell you.

ZenGum 02-08-2012 12:37 AM

Today's mild amusement is courtesy of Hopelessly Lost Freshers, inc.

On my way to a class, I saw a young woman, African origin (which here means probably a recent migrant/refugee from South Sudan), papers in hand, near the library, looking totaly lost.

Can I help you?

Um, yeah, I need to find ... um Janet ... something ... do you know her?

Sorry, no. Do you know the room number?

Err, yeah ... three two something.

Which building?

[Blank look]

Oh.

So I took her into the library and walked her to the enrollment support section. I hope they helped her.

infinite monkey 02-08-2012 11:28 AM

My freshman year roomie found the right room number, in the wrong building. She wondered why they would hold class in a utility closet.

ZenGum 02-18-2012 05:47 AM

A friend of mine has a job managing in a liquor store.

Quote:

1st Choice Liquor
Cue easy joke.

footfootfoot 02-18-2012 08:51 AM

Candy a distant second...

Actually right next door would be a great place to open a candy store. I bet you'd get enough traffic coming in for the joke that you'd make a nice living.

Undertoad 02-18-2012 10:57 AM

That would assume people have widely read, understood, and remembered the olde Ogden Nash rhyme.

Undertoad 02-18-2012 10:57 AM

2nd Choice Fuck'er

that's the easy joke.

footfootfoot 02-18-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 796288)
That would assume people have widely read, understood, and remembered the olde Ogden Nash rhyme.

I thought it was part of our collective unconscious by now.

Lamplighter 02-20-2012 09:35 AM

Here's an article about the alignment of planets over the next few days.
But that's not what tickled me. It's the signs-of-the-times inside the video.

Remember when students were taught that the eye is like a camera,
with a lens in front and the film in the back part records the picture ?
Kodak is in bankruptcy and film is no longer relevant.

In this video, the eye is "... like a digital camera ..."

Physorg.com
February 20, 2012
Dr. Tony Phillips

Cold and spellbinding: An alignment of planets in the sunset sky
Quote:

A special night to look is Saturday, Feb. 25th, when the crescent Moon
moves in to form a slender heavenly triangle with Venus, Jupiter and the Moon as vertices (sky map).
One night later, on Sunday, Feb. 26th, it happens again (sky map).

This arrangement will be visible all around the world, from city and countryside alike.
The Moon, Venus and Jupiter are the brightest objects in the night sky;
together they can shine through urban lights, fog, and even some clouds.<snip>
Quote:

"Your eye is a bit like a digital camera," explains optometrist Dr. Stuart Hiroyasu of Bishop, California.
"There's a lens in front to focus the light, and a photo-array behind the lens to capture the image.
The photo-array in your eye is called the retina.
It's made of rods and cones, the organic equivalent of electronic pixels."

footfootfoot 02-20-2012 12:17 PM

I do like how the eye is like a camera, digital or otherwise, as though the eye came after the camera.

plthijinx 02-25-2012 02:25 PM

i got sniped today! there was no way to avoid it!! they had the entrances and exits totally covered with at least 4 on each side!! i avoided their assault on the way in but on the way out i not only got hit from the left, i got caught up in a nasty crossfire from the right!! yes. i bought girl scout cookies at kroger today.

monster 02-25-2012 02:30 PM

The little buggers were at the swim meet last weekend and are now here at the Hockey rink DO NOT WANT!

footfootfoot 02-25-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 797758)
i got sniped today! there was no way to avoid it!! they had the entrances and exits totally covered with at least 4 on each side!! i avoided their assault on the way in but on the way out i not only got hit from the left, i got caught up in a nasty crossfire from the right!! yes. i bought girl scout cookies at kroger today.

Dude, I thought you liked lesbians. If you don't support girl scouts where will tomorrow's lesbians come from?

ZenGum 02-25-2012 05:47 PM

Girl scouts.

They know where you live.

They know how to make fire.

Buy the damn cookies.

plthijinx 02-25-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 797774)
Dude, I thought you liked lesbians. If you don't support girl scouts where will tomorrow's lesbians come from?

true true. but i like the str8 ones too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zengum
Girl scouts.

They know where you live.

They know how to make fire.

Buy the damn cookies.

oh lawd! i may not sleep tonight!

plthijinx 02-25-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 797759)
The little buggers were at the swim meet last weekend and are now here at the Hockey rink DO NOT WANT!

give in. i am your father luke!

monster 02-25-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 797796)
give in. i am your father luke!

my father was called fred.....

Sundae 02-26-2012 02:33 AM

Right.

ZenGum 02-26-2012 05:45 AM

That's what he said.

Trilby 02-26-2012 06:47 AM

Ga-roan.

(Tho actually I thought it was v. Cute)

plthijinx 02-27-2012 06:56 PM

right said fred

ZenGum 02-27-2012 07:18 PM

The nun fainted.

footfootfoot 02-27-2012 09:09 PM

Laughter on five...four... three... ... ...

Lamplighter 02-28-2012 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sarah Palin can't catch a break anymore
... anything happening Wasila comes back to her.

death+taxes
Liza Eckert
2/28/12

Sarah Palin’s hometown is no fan of vaginas

Attachment 37568

Quote:

The local high school in Wasilla commissioned a statue that was supposed to represent the school’s mascot,
the Warriors, with a shield surrounded by feathers, and a hand print to symbolize good deeds.
But this is a high school, full of teenagers, so the vagina jokes started almost immediately.

Three days after it was erected, the school covered it in a tarp, ostensibly to protect it from vandalism.
But fortunately they reconsidered and removed the covering.

The artists, Jim Dault and Shala Dobson, held workshops at the school to explain the meaning
behind the piece to students, who will probably continue to make vagina jokes anyway.

footfootfoot 02-28-2012 11:34 AM

It looks more like someone shoved a giant Titleist in there and left a hand print.

classicman 02-28-2012 11:41 AM

^^^WHS^^^

Sundae 02-28-2012 11:51 AM

Firstly, that don't look nothing like my vaj.
Secondly, what's wrong with a bit of snatch anyway, it's the closest many of those boys will come in years.

ZenGum 02-28-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 798202)
It looks more like someone shoved a giant Titleist in there and left a hand print.

Not to a sixteen year old, it doesn't.

Griff 02-28-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 798211)
Secondly, what's wrong with a bit of snatch anyway, it's the closest many of those boys will come in years.

From what we've seen the teenage boys in Wasila do okay, except for that no birth control thing.

footfootfoot 02-28-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 798303)
Not to a sixteen year old, it doesn't.

Sorry, I meant titlist

ZenGum 03-01-2012 09:20 PM

I am mildly amused (and also mildly irritated) by the situation with my car.

I took it in for its 200,000km service. All fluids and oils changed, plugs, filters etc etc, plus replace the water pump and the timing belt, certain other timing related thingies. This is looking at being in the $1500 range, but I knew that before I bought this car.

I took it in on Wednesday, planning to get it late Thursday.

Wednesday was one of the wettest days here in ages. The water got into the power circuits at the mechanics, and took out the power to the hoist.

The one my car was one.

While my car was six feet in the air.

And it won't come down without power.

Ah. Slight delay.

So it is now Friday and the hoist is working (as is the mechanic) but I wish my car was back already. Meh.

monster 03-01-2012 09:30 PM

I was mildly amused today when I heard the term Dumbicide used to describe Darwin Award-like deaths......

BigV 03-02-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 798870)
I am mildly amused (and also mildly irritated) by the situation with my car.

I took it in for its 200,000km service. All fluids and oils changed, plugs, filters etc etc, plus replace the water pump and the timing belt, certain other timing related thingies. This is looking at being in the $1500 range, but I knew that before I bought this car.

I took it in on Wednesday, planning to get it late Thursday.

Wednesday was one of the wettest days here in ages. The water got into the power circuits at the mechanics, and took out the power to the hoist.

The one my car was one.

While my car was six feet in the air.

And it won't come down without power.

Ah. Slight delay.

So it is now Friday and the hoist is working (as is the mechanic) but I wish my car was back already. Meh.

WHERE IS YOUR PUNY DROUGHT NOW?!

Aliantha 03-02-2012 01:53 AM

Did you know it's not possible to stick your tongue out and breath fast at the same time?

monster 03-02-2012 05:59 AM

It is if you do it while licking the tip of your elbow

Undertoad 03-02-2012 06:49 AM

Friend of mine in high school would tell girls "Chicks can touch the tips of their elbows behind their back."

And when they tried it, they didn't realize they would stick their boobs way way out; and he would say "Oh stop bragging!"

:p:

Sundae 03-02-2012 10:15 AM

Actually this amused me a LOT today.
And is still raising a chuckle as I rehash it.

After THRASS the children focus on a certain phoneme, and Mrs M writes words up on the board. When I took phonics in Reception I played "Trash or Treasure" and this is similar. Today the phoneme was qu. The sequence as I remember it was queen, quep, quiet... and then a nonsense word. But it wasn't actually a nonsense word. She wrote quim on the board.

I immediately looked over at Mrs J on the other side of the class with big alarmed eyes. She looked back with the same. We looked at Mrs M who was happily sounding out quim and obviously none the wiser. At that point we both got the snorts and had to look away from the board and eachother. By this point it was decided it was a nonsense word and it was all done. Oh, except Luke shot his hand up and said, "No it isn't, I know what it means!" At which point a coughing fit necessitated my exit to the staff room to get a glass of water.

Of course Luke didn't know what we knew at all, he had it mixed up with another word.

Oh my. That coughing fit brought tears to my eyes. Priceless.
I can't wait till we do words starting with cu.

HungLikeJesus 03-02-2012 10:22 AM

Well, you learn something new every couple of minutes in the Cellar.

limey 03-02-2012 01:03 PM

What is quep?

Sundae 03-02-2012 01:09 PM

According to Urban Dictionary it means fuck!
I will not swear hand on heart that she used that word.

infinite monkey 03-05-2012 08:52 AM

Why all of a sudden
is everyone writing posts
like they're writing pomes?

Maybe they think
they're using an old typewriter
and have to return the carriage before
it runs out
of room.

The style, while annoying,
is most certainly contagious.
Everybody's doing it!