The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's bumming your stone today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18359)

Undertoad 02-19-2020 06:05 PM

Perfect McBoatface name for this piece of equipment.

fargon 02-19-2020 11:33 PM

My bank they just keep on Pissing me off.
Strike 1: They turned me down for a refinance on my truck right after i bought it. All I wanted was to keep all my banking under one roof, and give them some business.
Strike 2: They took out the money for my Dec. shop rent Thanksgiving Day causing me to be overdrawn, they didn't charge me an overdraft because it was their computer glitch that caused the problem in the first place. But I was still broke for the rest of the month.
Strike 3: Today I went with my Little Sister to open an account, and The Runt had all the paper work she had, various letters from Social security, the hospital, and a piece of mail to prove her address. And that condescending little shit at the bank told her she couldn't have an account without a valid picture ID. Even though I told that punk that I would vouch for her, and my credit is excellent there. All that asshole could say was sorry sir in a very shitty way making my sister cry. I even told the turd that he will open her an account, or I will close all of mine. That's when he threatened to call the cops, I raised my voice and scared mr braveheart.
After we left the bank we drove straight to DMV and The Runt got her picture ID without a birth certificate.
So tomorrow she will go back without me she's going with Keryx.
I'll let The Lady Keryxderos deal with condescending boy.

xoxoxoBruce 02-20-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1046891)

Good work, it makes me think, if I had pets there I would not be comfortable leaving them...!

When you live in a small community like that the neighbors know you're gone, how long you've been gone, how many pets you have, their names, and where you keep their food. Probably the color of your underwear when you left too. :lol:
Even if you don't share your plans, which is difficult, they'll look after your place if you're delayed. The lack of privacy is sometimes exasperating but it's nice to know you home is watched over and the animals are OK.

Fargon, I usually use the MAC machine outside but one time I wanted a bigger sum so inside I asked the teller if she wanted a picture ID, and she said no, I have your picture, pointing at her screen. Surprised the shit out of me.

limey 02-20-2020 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1046891)
A digr you say?

Good work, it makes me think, if I had pets there I would not be comfortable leaving them...!

Yes, digr, sorry missed a trick there.
Re: pets. I had planned to be away for about three days and asked a neighbour to mind the moggies. She had to be on duty for a little longer, is all. But she wasn’t going anywhere anyway [snigr].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fargon 03-06-2020 02:54 PM

My baby sister has vanished. I have called the hospitals, and checked the jail intake list daily for a week. She hurt my friends feelings and pissed off our siblings.
We found her journal and she said that she was thinking about going back to the asshole that she left. Why do women always seem to go back to their abusers? I have cried all I'm going to over her.
I probably wont be helping out anyone else. It's been a week and no one has seen or heard from her.

glatt 03-06-2020 03:14 PM

I'm sorry fargon.

I hope you get word from her soon.

BigV 03-06-2020 03:33 PM

Man, that's a hard job you chose. Big brother is easy, being a good big brother is tough. You can do it though. I'm pulling for you and for her. Sorry for the stress you're all going through.

Griff 03-06-2020 07:29 PM

Awful situation. I’m sorry.

monster 03-06-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1048009)
Why do women always seem to go back to their abusers?

Because once they have beaten them down to nothing, the abusers make sure they are the only people around to "pick them up" again. You always remember the nicest bits and forget the shit (otherwise women would never give birth more than once and the human race would be doomed)

I'm sorry, it does suck, and when she does resurface, just love her. You know that.

xoxoxoBruce 03-06-2020 10:31 PM

Keep in mind you didn't fail, she did... at least it looks that way. :(

monster 05-23-2020 10:41 PM

My next door neighbor had a heart attack ten days ago. I learned about it last Saturday. From the neighbor on the other side of him. She said it was minor but he was still in ICU with no visitors.

It's not his first one and he's had a couple of run ins with prostate cancer too.

I realized this morning that it happened on the anniversary of his wife's death -she died from lung cancer exactly two months after beest died.

I went out to mow the lawn and saw the daughter who now lives with him, she said they were going to see him (I think for the first time because no visitors...) but it didn't look good. All the kids are here.

Neighbor just texted and said she had spoken to Mia, and he is "still unresponsive". I didn't realize he was "unresponsive"

We were never "close friends" but we lived next door for 20 years and went through similar hells at the same time so we formed a sort of bond. I'd mow his lawn sometimes, he'd pay my kid to shovel his snow....

:(

Clodfobble 05-23-2020 10:47 PM

Sorry, monster. :(

monster 05-23-2020 11:02 PM

thanks. There's just nothing I can do, I feel a bit of a fraud somehow. I'd like to chat with him again. We just used to shoot the shit, nothing gritty. But he's Bob, next door. I just feel he isn't going to make it. he was kind of done with the whole shit show when Sharon died, just marking time

Griff 05-24-2020 06:57 AM

It's a hard time to be normal..

I found my Dad kinda trapped on his porch by a tight circle of Baptists. Neighbors from years ago good people but the sort that probably still pack a church and won't wear masks. I've got to sort out my work get kids scheduled tell families the guidelines, sort out testing, etc... Nobody is gonna be comfortable. Teaching EI kids with a mask on... profoundly weird and likely to get shut down again with the next wave.

monster 05-29-2020 02:54 PM

Bob died last night. His kids are sat on the deck laughing and chatting and smoking weed. The neighbor on the other side of them (who is who keeps me updated) texted me a link to his caring bridge page saying she didn't understand what it meant (they used the word transition), so I told her. Which was somewhat weird because I was on my deck and they kids were right between us... It seems they turned the machines off a few days ago after determining no neurological recovery was possible, and he was in palliative care

Clodfobble 05-29-2020 03:11 PM

Bummer. I can't quite tell if you're feeling any antagonism toward the adult kids, but I wouldn't. They're grieving in their own way, and haven't had enough life experience to realize the neighbors might have cared about him, too.

monster 05-29-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1053308)
Bummer. I can't quite tell if you're feeling any antagonism toward the adult kids, but I wouldn't. They're grieving in their own way, and haven't had enough life experience to realize the neighbors might have cared about him, too.

Oh no, I'm glad they're relaxing after such a stressful time. Sorry, I was meaning to reassure the world (and myself) I guess :)

monster 05-29-2020 03:25 PM

The other neighbor asked me to go over with her to pass on condolences, so we just did that

monster 05-29-2020 03:27 PM

....and it was a bit odd to imagine our texts flying over them as we talked about them/their dad

Griff 05-29-2020 05:04 PM

So much weird right now. Hoping for a more sensible 2021.

DanaC 05-29-2020 05:40 PM

That's so sad Monster.

DanaC 05-29-2020 05:44 PM

My next door but one neighbour died a couple of weeks ago. I didnt know him that well, but I liked him - he was part of our little community.
Only 10 people allowed at the funeral, but they brought the the funeral cortege down the lane and we all walked behind keeping 2m apart until we got to the end of the lane. They stopped the cortege and had a moment of silent reflection, then off they went.

Strange - dignified but really odd.

BigV 05-29-2020 08:08 PM

Strange
Dignified
Odd

And sad.

DanaC 06-01-2020 06:24 PM

Carrot's brother, Merlot is very sick. He and their rescue dog Biscuit are currently in a boarding kennel in Hanoi and have been since back end of February when the two Js came back to the UK for a 3 week trip which turned into a lockdown stranding them here for the last 2.5 months (they we due to fly back I think 18th March )

The kennels have been great and kept them updated with videos and pics - it's a nice place with nice staff. But they found out last week (i think) that Merlot was showing signs of either an abscess or a tumour behind his right eye. That has now been confirmed through blood works as almost certainly a tumour (they can't confirm with MRI as there are no scanning facilities at any of the vets in Vietnam).

They've been sharing between their vet in Hanoi and their vet in the UK and it isn't looking good.

When Jude told me about it a few nights ago, his biggest fear was that Merlot would die before they could get over there and he'd never know where they went and that would just about break Jude. And then if that happened, Biscuit would have lost his whole pack, again - he is already a rescue dog who'd been abandoned before they adopted him.

The one bright piece of news is that I found out today Jude managed to get a flight organised for this weekend - failing the world turning on its head again he should be over there by Sunday.

I really hope Merlot hangs in there. I hate the thought of him not having his people with him. And I really hate the thought of what that would do to Jude. Don't get me wrong it would beak Janet's heart too - but Jude's surprisingly fragile at times. I worry the degree to which that would floor him. He's only really started to get his head back together after his sister died probably the last 12 months and even then it's up and down. He went into a pretty deep depression when she died, about 4 years ago - pretty sure thats what triggered the whole career change and move to Vietnam.

Anyhow - that got a bit rambley. I just needed to get that off my chest before bed.

I am really glad they got his flight sorted out. It's shit that Janet cant go back with him yet (different kind of visa) but at least they will have one of them there with Merlot and Biscuit.

Gravdigr 06-01-2020 07:25 PM

That's gotta be tough.

Griff 06-02-2020 06:16 AM

Our dogs get in deep. :(

Griff 06-02-2020 06:18 AM

Binghamton had one of the nicest special needs playgrounds in the state. Assholes burned it down over the weekend.

BigV 06-02-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1053446)
Binghamton had one of the nicest special needs playgrounds in the state. Assholes burned it down over the weekend.

I doubt the arsonists were protesting the death of George Floyd.

Griff 06-02-2020 02:19 PM

Clearly true.

DanaC 06-13-2020 06:18 AM

Update (s) on Merlot.

So ,,, Jude managed to get a flight - armed with his negative Covid-19 test certificate and expert visa, he left Yorkshire, got on a plane ... and in the intervening period between buying tickets and getting on the plane, Vietnam had changed their entry requirements: for people whose flights left before the complete ban on foreign nationals came into force they would be allowed in only with a signed letter from immigration - the complete ban went into force the day after Jude had to give up on his attempt. He got as far as Seoul where he was supposed to get a connecting flight to Hanoi and that's when he found out. Had to turn right back around - couldn't even do an overnight stay in Seoul because he'd have had to go into quarantine and been stuck there 2 weeks,

He got back to the UK on the Sunday evening - and had to grab a few hours sleep and then get up and start his online teaching at 1am (his students are of course on Vietnamese time)

Earliest they may possibly be able to get to Vietnam is 1st July

Merlot is failing fast. They had hoped to get him to Thailand for surgery and chemo to try and buy him time but the borders closed and not opening for at least another week to 10 days.

Their VN vet was trying CBD oil as there has been some indication that this may help shrink tumors - however, yesterday he wouldn't eat at all and they have him on a drip - if he doesn't rally by morning, the two Js think they will have to ask for him to be put to sleep.

I am heartbroken for them - and a little for me too.

I remember after Jude had been in this job for about a year, and janet had decided to go and live over there, Judah was saying he would be coming back for visits and bringing Merlot - I said then I worried Carrot and Merlot would never see each other again. I said it half jokingly when we got the boys together for a visit ahead of them leaving - but I also kind of meant it. I just figured if they end up staying there for 5-6 years, that would take the dogs to 12 or 13, and the practicalities of taking dogs on such long flights would probably make bringing him with on a UK trip not happen.

I didn't have anything quite so fast in my head. Poor Merlot. He's such a happy little soul. The idea of him suffering breaks my heard. And the idea of him not being with his own people makes it so much worse - even though I know that Merlot isn't lay there wondering where they are. He's bonded with the kennel staff after such a long time - and he has his adopted brother Biscuit with him.

I know people are going through worse shit as a result of this virus - denied the last moments with dying family members, separated from young children, stuck in random hotels on the other side of the world ... but this still feels so sad and unfair. They came over for 3 weeks, got stuck for 3 months and then it turned out those were Merlot's last 3 months. It feels a bit like they were robbed of those last few months with him.

Anyhow - enough of such sadness. I am going to go walk Carrot in the rain.

monster 08-02-2020 09:14 PM

I blew up my vacuum cleaner

sexobon 08-02-2020 09:28 PM

Sufferin' succotash!

monster 08-02-2020 10:48 PM

suucotash :lol:

monster 08-03-2020 03:37 PM

It seems to be unblowed up this morning. probably was last night, but I moved to a different outlet for testing purposes and I misguidedly trusted my son when he said he reset the power tip on it..... sigh.

Still that's the second time it's ?overheated in recent history -first time I had really been working that sucker and it felt hot and smelled funny so i just let it cool for an hour or two, but yesterday I'd barely gotten started, so I suspect it's on its last wheels.

Also I really wanted the scorching you groove thread for this topic, but my groove was too scorched to find it, evidently

xoxoxoBruce 08-04-2020 04:52 PM

Low voltage will cause overheating as well as obstructed cooling air.

Gravdigr 08-04-2020 05:53 PM

[quote=monster;1056047]It seems to be unblowed/QUOTE]

As am I...:p:

BigV 08-04-2020 08:39 PM

better here unblowed than blown away who knows where.

yes, I have been keeping track.

Gravdigr 08-05-2020 07:07 PM

:)

monster 09-09-2020 03:53 PM

Well I blew up my vacuum clener again today. twice. It probably be time to get a new one (it just overheats). But that's not what's bumming my stone.

Last night, I thought of another avenue for my job search and lo and behold I found a job that I could do the shit out of and it would be interesting and meaningful and paid well. It was actually posted 10 days ago, but there was no closing deadline for apps and it was late, so I didn't apply last night. Started this morning, seeing where I needed to tweak my resume and what sort of cover letter/additional material was required. Called away because someone arrived to repair my window and when I got back to it a couple hours ago.... it was no longer open. Which means that even if I'd applied last night when I found it, it would probably have been too late, but it's still a bummer. (There are older job postings still listed, so I'm pretty sure it means it got filled today... :( )

Clodfobble 09-09-2020 04:38 PM

Yeah, most places only delete a posting after they've made an offer and the person accepted, which means someone was already through screening/interviews/etc. by the time you were seeing it. Still, a bummer--but at least you've come across this new avenue now, and I bet there will be more job postings of this nature in the future. You can do it!

fargon 09-09-2020 05:12 PM

Yay Monster!!!