The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes and Stuff (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12106)

Gravdigr 10-02-2015 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53552

DanaC 10-02-2015 01:09 PM

Heheheheh ah man - classic Quayle.

fargon 10-02-2015 02:20 PM

Why are all the idiots Republicans.

Lamplighter 10-02-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 940686)

I don't know if Quayle actually said that ... but I want to believe he did.

:D

Lamplighter 10-02-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 940697)
Why are all the Republicans idiots.

FIFY

fargon 10-02-2015 02:50 PM

Thanx Lamp, as a recovering Republican I feel a lot smarter.

Gravdigr 12-21-2015 12:05 PM

Not a straight quote of what he actually wrote, but, close enough:

Quote:

No matter how black, white, male, female, Irish, German, tall, short, ugly or pretty you felt this year, you are part of a family that has been targeted by an unforgiving cosmos since its inception but has, regardless, survived ... humanity, warts and all, is an inherently heroic species that has spent about 99.99% of its short lifetime as an underdog. And If you see no billboards telling you that, it's not because it's not true. It's because there's little to no profit to be made telling you.

I could go on and on about the suffering we've endured and the adaptations we've made, but to me, our species' crowning jewel is that on the shortest day of the year, when the sun spends most of its time swallowed, when everything is frozen, when nothing can grow, when the air is so cold our voices stop right in front of our faces ... we put a string of lights on a universe that is currently doing nothing to earn it. We not only salvage an otherwise desolate time of year, we make it the best time of year.
~essayist Dan Harmon

MERRY CHRISTMAS

DanaC 12-21-2015 12:18 PM

That's really beautiful.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 01:34 PM

Yes, a nice thought, however...

depending on your hemisphere, it's Christmas on Bondi beach too. ;)

Gravdigr 12-21-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 949217)
...depending on your hemisphere, it's Christmas on Bondi beach too. ;)

It says "we", not "they".;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 02:53 PM

True, but he'd already specified we as humanity, mankind, the hairless ape, so everybody but me & Fuzzy Magee. My observation detracts not a whit, from the beauty of his sentiment, any more than Clarabelle have a shit what the peanut gallery babbled.

Gravdigr 05-14-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lb (140 kg) or jump 30 ft (9.1 m). But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way.
~Lyle Alzado

Gravdigr 05-30-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

“I think that the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice.”
~Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Gravdigr 06-04-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

"Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."
Quote:

“It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
Quote:

"Don’t count the days; make the days count."
Quote:

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”
~Muhammad Ali

classicman 06-05-2016 07:20 PM

... How many situps do you do everyday?
Ali - "I don't count my situps, I only start counting when it starts hurting, when I feel pain.