The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 05-26-2006 01:08 PM

Romper Stomper

Netflix is helping me chew my way through my "to see" list. Interesting movie, but I would have kicked the chick out flat on her ass ASAP.

I think Hostel should arrive in the mail today. I forget if someone else told me to see that, or if it was Netflix's Recommender's fault.

Happy Monkey 05-26-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
You're gonna LOVE it. The opening act of the opening disc of the opening season is Mahna Mahna! It sets the tone perfectly.

Hee! Also, apparently Joel Grey was somewhat famous even before he was on Buffy and Alias...

Happy Monkey 05-30-2006 03:23 PM

I dropped "Sky High" in my Peerflix queue when I saw that Bruce Campbell and two of the Kids in the Hall were in it. It was OK.

About the Muppets - Why was Scooter's hiring in episode 3 or 4, when he had already been hired as of episode one? There wasn't any indication that it was a flashback.

BigV 05-30-2006 04:32 PM

I'll double check...

wolf 06-03-2006 02:01 PM

Hostel turned out to be about the lamest possible horror/shocker movie that I have seen, and I have seen some serious stinkers over the years.

Other recent views:

Van Helsing (again)
The Night Stalker
The Night Strangler (as prep for watching the whole series)
C.S. Lewis - Beyond Narnia
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

Griff 06-06-2006 06:40 AM

Time Bandits :)

BigV 06-06-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
About the Muppets - Why was Scooter's hiring in episode 3 or 4, when he had already been hired as of episode one? There wasn't any indication that it was a flashback.

Answer:

The first three episodes were not in wide release. The first episode to be aired widely was the Rita Moreno episode. Scooter was not in that one, in a conscious effort to minimize the large number of characters being introduced at once. The next episode "introduces" Scooter to the audience, even though we who have watched the disc for the previous two hours already know his schtick.

You're wondering what kind of person knows this, I'm sure. The alternate lanuguage subtitle track is your friend. :)

Happy Monkey 06-06-2006 12:52 PM

I'm going to go back and watch it with trivia on, and I figured they'd probably explain that, but I was impatient. Thanks!

wolf 06-06-2006 12:56 PM

In Cold Blood (prompted by having seen Capote)

erno365 06-08-2006 05:48 AM

Just watched "Crash" yesterday and when I saw this DVD, I think that the feeling was awed because it was something real and very deep... It's a melodramatic movie... I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it really showed how we racially divided as a society... Before I watched the movie I actually have read a review about it and thought it was an educational documentary...

wolf 06-08-2006 11:02 AM

The Night Stalker TV Series. I've only made it through episodes 1&2 so far. Like much 70s television, it's far cheesier today than I thought it was when I was 12.

The police expend an awful lot of ammo trying to shoot down invincible monsters.

Flint 06-08-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
it's far cheesier today than I thought it was when I was 12.

Recently watching a DVD of G-Force was downright traumatic - it was horrible!

wolf 06-21-2006 12:49 AM

Oldboy - Korean film that serves as proof that the US and Europe have not cornered the market in surreal movies. This one is awesome. Early scenes of the movie in which our progtagonist, Oh Dae Su, is spending some time on the drunken asshole bench at the police station, do not in any way prepare you for the oddness to come.

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (2003) - This is the most recent version of what apparently is a venerable character in Japanese Samurai Movies. I suspect the concept was "borrowed" for Rutger Hauer's Blind Fury. There are some amazingly well choreographed fight scenes (of the rewind and rewatch variety ... everything moves so fast you have to go back and see what actually happened). It has just the right blend of typical badguys in the village, humor, and intrigue. Oh, and watch out for the Geishas!

bluecuracao 06-21-2006 03:47 AM

Eight Below--I had fairly low expectations going in, just figured it would be a cute, cheezy dog movie, but it was pretty amazing! Not to mention a huge tear jerker. Supposed to take place in Antartica, but it was mostly filmed in Canada, with some filming in Greenland and a set. The dogs were beautiful, and great actors. :) I had a Malamute as a child, so the movie brought back a lot of happy and sad memories for me.

lookout123 06-21-2006 03:52 AM

recently purchased all ten seasons of FRIENDS on dvd. pretty fun really.