The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Aylesbury, England (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18965)

be-bop 01-08-2010 05:51 PM

Reading, ah the memories saw some great bands at various Reading Festivals in the 80's when i was young and stupid such a long time ago Sob...........:D

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2010 12:45 AM

Take heart, be-bop... we aren't young anymore but we're still stupid. :lol:

be-bop 01-10-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 625142)
Take heart, be-bop... we aren't young anymore but we're still stupid. :lol:

I'll drink to that...:drunk:

Carruthers 01-15-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 622243)
I was in Bucks County last weekend... er Pennsylvania.

A couple of days ago, the postman defeated the weather and delivered a copy of "Place Names in Bucks County, Pennsylvania". I managed to track it down via Abebooks and bought it from a bookseller in North Carolina. I headed straight for entries concerning Wycombe, Chalfont, Solebury (Soulbury) and Buckingham. I know that English place names on the Eastern Seaboard are not exactly uncommon, but I find the stories behind the original settlements absolutely fascinating.

Carruthers.

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 12:32 PM

I know people in Buckingham, Bucks County, nice(but expensive) place. Also, I grew up in Hampden (see Sundae's post #5).

Carruthers 01-15-2010 01:18 PM

Whereabouts is Hampden, Bruce? I can't find any reference to it in the above book.

FWIW, Hampden House is about 3.5 miles to the south west of your humble correspondent.

Carruthers

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:26 PM

At the John Hampden link, in Sundae's post:
Quote:

The towns of Hampden, Maryland, Hamden, Connecticut and Hampden, Maine, as well as the county of Hampden, Massachusetts are named in his honour. Also, Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia is named in his honour and that of Algernon Sydney, another English patriot.
It fails to note the town of Hampden, in the County of Hampden, Massachusetts. Not in Bucks County, PA, but you mentioned, "English place names on the Eastern Seaboard", and Hampden has a connection to Aylesbury. Sorry for the confusion.

Carruthers 01-15-2010 01:36 PM

Ah! OK Bruce, thanks for that, I'm obliged to you.
One is investigating further:thumb:

Carruthers

squirell nutkin 01-20-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 579070)
do you ever stuff peas up inside penne ala arabiata?

♪♫
I've seen a tinker up a tailor
and a soldier up a sailor,
but I've never seen a salmon
up a dead sardine. ♪♫

Carruthers 04-04-2010 02:37 PM

I've just been looking at some photos from Spring last year and came up with this one:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1862/p5300007.jpg

It is a view from the opposite side of the valley to that shown in Sundae's posting here: #195

I keep an eye on a couple of farms on a nearby estate for the manager and his wife, when they take the opportunity to get off the place once in a while. As you can see, I was giving the farm dogs a run. (30th May 2009)

bushpig 04-14-2010 01:07 PM

Hey SG, sorry, I really wanted to personal message you but I'm not allowed to until I've proved that I'm not odd by responding to several threads in a way that is not deemed weird! (Akin to being asked to prove you're not mad)Anyway, my email is the same as it ever was (there's a song there somewhere), we both hated Cockroach Joan and you introduced me to Jasper Fforde (or certainly his books) and I was wondering how you were? Sorry to barge in, I'm still in the same hot/dusty country as I was before!

Sundae 04-14-2010 02:29 PM

OMG! Is that my warthog?!
I was thinking about you just the other day.

If it's not you (and it would be so weird if it's not. God, you weirdo if it's not!) then you'll get a mail from me in the next 24 hours.

xoxoxoBruce 04-14-2010 02:30 PM

It is.

classicman 04-14-2010 02:33 PM

ok - I'm a little freaked out by that.

Shawnee123 04-14-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Sorry to sarge in, I'm still in the same hot/dusty country as I was before!
Why the new face?