The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Funny political pictures (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14347)

infinite monkey 10-19-2012 03:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh. (I'm not too quick on the uptake today.)

But really, that's Gosh Ram-knee. He wants to take a swing at the president for calling Pa a liar. He's the newest bestest meme.

Happy Monkey 10-19-2012 03:52 PM

Bale as Bateman, in particular.

DanaC 10-19-2012 05:20 PM

.....initially mankind built androids to closely resemble real people, but many were unnerved by their humanlike appearance and so they were superceded by more obviously artificial designs...

BigV 10-19-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 835022)
.....initially mankind built androids to closely resemble real people, but many were unnerved by their humanlike appearance and so they were superceded by more obviously artificial designs...

that is ... uncanny.

infinite monkey 10-19-2012 08:04 PM

And hilarious!:)

Spexxvet 10-20-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 834966)
"When it sucks your teat, don't even think about sucking ours."

I smell bumper sticker!:thumb:

Gravdigr 10-21-2012 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Purging...

Attachment 41304
Attachment 41305
Attachment 41306

Stormieweather 10-22-2012 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not so funny...

Cyber Wolf 10-23-2012 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 41339

infinite monkey 10-23-2012 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

DanaC 10-23-2012 02:48 PM

lol

That's brilliant.

infinite monkey 10-24-2012 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, in an easy to follow flowchart, we unveil Mitt Romney's Lady Plan!

Spexxvet 10-24-2012 09:22 AM

Like ^

Cyber Wolf 10-24-2012 12:17 PM

That... is hilarious. :D

Ibby 10-24-2012 01:53 PM

and accurate.

Ibby 10-29-2012 02:18 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...4ff3o1_500.jpg

BigV 10-29-2012 03:57 PM

seriously!

:facepalm:

Big Sarge 10-30-2012 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is reference to the Benghazi Consulate attack. Their requests for assistance were denied.

Rhianne 10-30-2012 07:05 PM

If I was a diplomat or a SEAL or an American I think I might be offended by that.

Big Sarge 10-31-2012 01:23 AM

being in the military, i'm offended that these americans were not given the requested support. there was a uas circling overhead providing ongoing coverage of the battle to the situation room. hell, they even had a seal on the roof lasing targets and requesting spectre gunship support. denied. they were left to die

Big Sarge 10-31-2012 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

infinite monkey 10-31-2012 08:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)

DanaC 10-31-2012 08:32 AM

Freedom from numbers! Woo!

*snort*

glatt 10-31-2012 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 836498)

That Marines picture would have a lot more teeth if they weren't dressed up in their pretty parade costumes. Find a picture of Marines today in battle, fighting with bayonets, and you would have an argument.

A Marine in war looks like this:
Attachment 41431

But you already knew that.

DanaC 10-31-2012 08:59 AM

Wasn't there a battle in Afghanistan where the soldiers went hand to hand with bayonets? In the Tora Bora mountains, iirc.

infinite monkey 10-31-2012 09:02 AM

Yeah, Marines look more than awesome in their dress blues (swoon-worthy even) but as a person with many many Marines in my life I'd say that harping on the bayonet remark as if it were an affront to our military is rather ridiculous.

Rihanne is right: it's offensive.

DanaC 10-31-2012 09:04 AM

Oh, I agree. There are way more offensive things I'd have thought. Like the poor healthcare for returned veterans and lack of support for mental health problems.

Not to mention, sending them to war on a lie. I'd find that really insulting if I was family to a soldier.

Spexxvet 10-31-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 836448)
This is reference to the Benghazi Consulate attack. Their requests for assistance were denied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 836493)
being in the military, i'm offended that these americans were not given the requested support. there was a uas circling overhead providing ongoing coverage of the battle to the situation room. hell, they even had a seal on the roof lasing targets and requesting spectre gunship support. denied. they were left to die

Sarge, you need to place blame where it belongs:
Quote:

Jason Chaffetz Admits House GOP Cut Funding For Embassy Security: 'You Have To Prioritize Things'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1954912.html

glatt 10-31-2012 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reminds me of that XKCD comic

Attachment 41432

Ibby 10-31-2012 04:16 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...uaefo1_500.jpg

Griff 10-31-2012 05:41 PM

I guess you would believe the raft of shit I received when I told my relatives (D-NY) that I felt (feel) Holloweening as its presently constructed, with total strangers appearing in doorways demanding tribute, is simply a nasty form of begging.

orthodoc 10-31-2012 06:12 PM

That's pretty much how it was historically constructed, too. Trick or treating was/is a demand for protection payment.

Of course, the little kids in angel and Spiderman costumes aren't the ones who'll toilet paper and egg your home or car. I remember only being allowed to trick or treat in our immediate neighborhood; it was considered bad manners to go where you weren't known. The adults were happy to see us and we were safe. We could even accept homemade goodies (which were common)!

Big Sarge 10-31-2012 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
!

xoxoxoBruce 10-31-2012 07:40 PM

Spreading the lies, eh sarge.

Ibby 10-31-2012 08:40 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...9bu3o1_500.png

Ibby 10-31-2012 09:33 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8...04b385f598.jpg

Big Sarge 10-31-2012 10:24 PM

Not spreading the lies, just trying to share the truth because I have been there, done that, and have the T-shirt. Unfortunately, most of you base your opinion on what the talking heads on the news decide to tell you. Our infantry and TWATS are issued bayonets and are expected to carry them when they exit the wire. The M9 is used as an all purpose combat knife. I carried an Air Force Survival Knife on my IOTV since I am not a front line troop.

Many reports of using a bayonet are simply reported as hand to hand combat. The Army said today it has 419,155 bayonets in its inventory. The Marine Corps has another 195,334 bayonets that it bought in 2004 and it plans on buying 175,061 more bayonets this year. A Marine official says it’s not accurate to add the two totals together as the new ones will include replacements for ones already in service as well as additional stocks.

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) knows a thing or two about how the U.S. military uses bayonets, because he sent soldiers into battle with them in Iraq. “I can tell you that when I was a battalion commander, we did still issue bayonets to our troops when we deployed to Iraq in 2003. The second thing I will tell you is that in 2001, Special Forces soldiers were on horseback riding with the Northern Alliance to fight against the Taliban,” West said. “So obviously we have a president who does not understand the full capabilities and capacities and what we do in the United States military.”

The Brits and Canadians document their bayonet usage closely. Corporal Sean Jones, 25, of 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Regiment, "reversed a potentially dire situation" when his patrol came under attack in a carefully planned ambush in October last year. Caught in the killing zone and unable to advance into the hail of fire, the soldiers withdrew to the relative safety of the water-filled ditch to return fire but were trapped as the insurgents moved in to try to overwhelm their position. "We had to react quickly," said Cpl Jones. "There was something different about this. It was obviously a well-planned ambush and they overwhelmed us with fire from three points initially." Firing a rocket at one of the insurgent positions, Cpl Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

The British Army performed bayonet charges during the Falklands War (see Battle of Mount Tumbledown), the Second Gulf War, and the war in Afghanistan.[36] In 2004 in Iraq at the Battle of Danny Boy, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders bayonet charged mortar positions filled with over 100 Mahdi Army members. The ensuing hand to hand fighting resulted in an estimate of over 40 insurgents killed and 35 bodies collected (many floated down the river) and 9 prisoners. Sergeant Brian Wood, of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, was awarded the Military Cross for his part in the battle.This engagement brought to notice the tactical use of the weapon for close combat and the sheer psychological effect it can have.

British forces in Afghanistan have used bayonets on numerous occasions. In 2009, Lieutenant James Adamson, aged 24, of the Royal Regiment of Scotland was awarded the Military Cross for a bayonet charge whilst on a tour of duty in Afghanistan: after shooting one Taliban fighter dead Adamson had run out of ammunition when another enemy appeared. Adamson immediately charged the second Taliban fighter and bayoneted him. In September 2012, Lance Corporal Sean Jones of The Princess of Wales's Regiment was awarded the Military Cross for his role in a bayonet charge which took place in October 2011. Brian Wood was just a young lance corporal at the time when he dismounted his thin-skinned vehicle amid withering enemy fire, and followed his commander's order to fix bayonets.The order came from from Sgt. Dave Falconer, reports The Sun and BBC, who later said he was proud of the actions from his men that day. The date was May 14, 2004, and Falconer, along with Wood, Private Anthony Rushforth, Sgt Chris Broome, and privates John-Claude Fowler and Matthew Tatawaqa, were speeding down a roadway 150 miles south of Basra in Southern Iraq. They were on their way to relieve fellow comrades caught in an ambush when they were caught in one of their own. The fire was so close and at such an angle (a close quartered, L-shaped ambush) that the only way to defeat it "was to put boots on the ground," said Falconer. So he immediately ordered his men to dismount and fix bayonets.The six soldiers charged across open ground, pausing only to throw themselves to the ground to avoid enemy fire, and return a bit of their own. In a few small sprints, they had traversed to the first trench, into which they immediately leapt, coming face to face with the enemy.
"Basically, it was short, sharp and furious," said Wood, who was later awarded the Military Cross for actions that day.

While not a bayonet attack, this US soldier is being Considered for the Medal of Honor. David Bellavia (born November 10, 1975) is an American Iraq War veteran who was awarded the Silver Star for his actions during the Second Battle of Fallujah. Bellavia has also received the Bronze Star, three Army Commendation Medals, two Army Achievement Medals and the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross. He has also been nominated for the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross. The actions for which Bellavia earned a Silver Star took place on his 29th birthday. As a member of Company A, Task Force 2-2, 1st Infantry Division, his platoon was assigned during Operation Phantom Fury to clear a block of twelve buildings from which insurgents were firing on U.S. troops. The platoon began searching house-to-house. At the tenth house, Bellavia fatally shot an insurgent preparing to load a rocket-propelled grenade. A second insurgent fired at him, and Bellavia wounded him in the shoulder. When Staff Sergeant Bellavia entered a bedroom, the wounded insurgent followed, forcing Bellavia to kill him. When another insurgent began firing from upstairs, Bellavia returned fire and killed him. A fourth insurgent then jumped out of a closet in the bedroom, yelling and firing his weapon as he leaped over a bed trying to reach Bellavia. The insurgent tripped and Bellavia wounded him. Bellavia chased the insurgent when he ran upstairs. He followed the wounded insurgent's bloody footprints to a room on the left and threw in a fragmentation grenade. Upon entering the room, Bellavia discovered it was filled with propane tanks and plastic explosives. He did not fire his weapon for fear of setting off an explosion and instead then engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the insurgent, which lead to Bellavia killing the insurgent by stabbing him in the collarbone with a knife.

The Army also reported today that it has 176 horses. The horses kept at Fort Myer, Va., are used mainly for ceremonial duties at Arlington Cemetery and the Capital region. There are also some horses located at Fort Hood, Texas. The Marine Mountain Warfare Training Center in California trains Marines in using horses, mules and donkeys to carry supplies in mountainous regions. In October 2011, a monument to Special Forces who led the Afghanistan invasion on horses was preparing for the final touches before finding it’s resting place across from the World Trade Center site. The Unit, known as the “Horse Soldiers” were awed by what they were doing on that day. The statue is scheduled to be erected across from the World Trade Center site in New York on November 11, Veterans Day. The artist rounded up these “horse soldiers” to share their personal stories and mission photos as inspiration for the 18-foot, bronze monument.

So are these lies or the truth? Have you actually seen this or are you basing your opinion on what someone told you??

Big Sarge 10-31-2012 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
!

xoxoxoBruce 10-31-2012 11:21 PM

Ferchristsake Sarge, get your head out of your ass. Obama said we have less bayonets and horses than we had in WW I. Then we had 4 million men in the Army alone. Now, in all 5 services, including reserves, there's something like 2.3 million. So I guess that means less bayonets, doesn't it. I won't even go into the horses. :rolleyes:

glatt 11-01-2012 07:28 AM

And he was making the point that some weapons are more useful than others.

Does a bayonet have its uses? Yes. Of course. But it's been what, two weeks since the debate? And I still haven seen the forces opposed to Obama come up with one single picture of a bayonet being used in combat today. You posted a parade picture and a training picture. That's all you will find.

Do a Google image search of "combat marines" and in the first ten pages of pictures you won't see a single bayonet in use. I found one bayonet affixed to a rifle in combat, but it was carried by a British soldier, not an American.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 835393)
I totally understand the point President Obama made. The crack about bayonets ticked me and alot of others. The bayonet is a symbol that no matter what you do in the military, you have to be prepared to be on the frontline & "fix bayonets".

I'm just being an ass. I really do understand the point.

What happened to this guy? Where did he go?

BigV 11-01-2012 09:09 AM

"Obama said we don't use bayonets anymore". THAT lie. do have a cite for the president saying that?

DanaC 11-01-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Our infantry and TWATS are issued bayonets and are expected to carry them when they exit the wire.
*blinks*

Cyber Wolf 11-01-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rat/Rat 2012

Attachment 41469

Big Sarge 11-01-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 836728)
What happened to this guy? Where did he go?

More details on Benghazi have been released. Why are people allowed to post Pro-Democrat cartoons while anything that is Pro-Republican is offensive?

Dana - A TWAT is Tankers Without Any Tanks. It refers to armor soldiers converted to motorized infantry. It is the same thing as gun bunnies (artillery) deployed as infantry.

Happy Monkey 11-01-2012 03:51 PM

It's not offensive that it's pro-Republican; it's offensive that it portrays the military as morons who think Obama said we don't use horses or bayonets anymore.

glatt 11-01-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 836855)
More details on Benghazi have been released.

What does Benghazi have to do with it? The topic was the number of ships the Navy has, and Obama's response that it's the effectiveness of the weapons that matters, not the number of weapons?

Big Sarge 11-01-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 836714)
Ferchristsake Sarge, get your head out of your ass. Obama said we have less bayonets and horses than we had in WW I. Then we had 4 million men in the Army alone. Now, in all 5 services, including reserves, there's something like 2.3 million. So I guess that means less bayonets, doesn't it. I won't even go into the horses. :rolleyes:

Actually they were discussing 1916. The National Defense Act approved on 3 June 1916 set the peace strength of the Regular Army at 220,000 officers and men and of the National Guard at 450,000. In 2012, US Army (Active) was 547,400 with an Army Reserve of 205,000 and Army National Guard of 358,200.

BigV 11-01-2012 04:03 PM

you're aces with facts as this post shows. where are the facts that show Obama said we don't use bayonets anymore?

Big Sarge 11-01-2012 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a good one. Have you received your free phone?:rolleyes:

Big Sarge 11-01-2012 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 836728)
And he was making the point that some weapons are more useful than others.

Does a bayonet have its uses? Yes. Of course. But it's been what, two weeks since the debate? And I still haven seen the forces opposed to Obama come up with one single picture of a bayonet being used in combat today. You posted a parade picture and a training picture. That's all you will find.

Do a Google image search of "combat marines" and in the first ten pages of pictures you won't see a single bayonet in use. I found one bayonet affixed to a rifle in combat, but it was carried by a British soldier, not an American.

The first image I pulled up was this.US soldiers with bayonet-fixed rifles guard the entrance to the former Presidential Palace which now houses the US Administration office in Baghdad, Iraq (news - web sites) as protesters (unseen) gather Saturday July 5, 2003 demanding the release of former Parliament Speaker Dr. Saadon Hamadi, who was arrested by the US forces June 25.

DanaC 11-01-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

he ridiculed Mitt Romney for suggesting that the U.S. Navy is underfunded, lamenting that it has fewer ships than it did in 1917. Yes, we have fewer ships, Obama responded witheringly, but we also have fewer "horses and bayonets." Obama said his point was that the military's needs have evolved — modern aircraft carriers and nuclear subs are so much more powerful than the war vessels of yesteryear that the comparison is pointless and "counting ships" is no way to measure naval power.
http://theweek.com/article/index/235...-diss-the-navy

How is that the same as him saying the army doesn't need bayonets?

Big Sarge 11-01-2012 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having no problems finding deployed troops with bayonets.

Cyber Wolf 11-01-2012 05:01 PM

I think what we're looking for is a number of how many bayonets were used to dispatch the opposition, rather than how many were issued and visible during active wartime.

If you go to your favorite hunting ground with a .22 anything and a .45 anything and end up only taking a couple of rabbits with the .22, the .45 was carried/issued but not used and can't be counted as a weapon used on the trip... cuz it wasn't. So, if, for some reason, a soldier is in battles where he fires his rifle until it's red hot, but has no occasion/need to stab someone with the bayonet he also carries, the bayonet is issued but not actually used.

So how many of our soldiers, not British soldiers cuz we're not talking about them, used their bayonets instead of bullets or other high powered weaponry to disarm/disable/devitalize an enemy? The most direct way to find out is just to ask. Has anyone asked?

DanaC 11-01-2012 05:02 PM

But even that isn't really the point. Surely the point is that Obama never said anything remotely like what he's accused in that cartoon of having said.

DanaC 11-01-2012 05:05 PM

Y'know, Sarge, whilst your busy getting hot under the collar and generally insulted by things the president never actually said, does this in anyway anger you? :

Quote:

Republicans have voted down legislation that would have established a1bn jobs programme to put unemployed veterans back to work as firefighters and police officers and in public work projects.

They objected to the cost of the bill, which they said violated spending limits agreed to last year in Congress.

Democrats and veterans groups say its cost are fully offset.

The bill, which had bipartisan support in the Senate and would have given priority to post-9/11 veterans whose employment prospects are three points below the national average, fell two votes short of the majority of 60 needed to waive Republican objections.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...down-us-senate

See, now that's fucking insulting.

Flint 11-01-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 836898)
But even that isn't really the point. Surely the point is that Obama never said anything remotely like what he's accused in that cartoon of having said.

But is that even the point? I thought the point was that our society is so dumbed-down that a sitting president is regarded as having 'scored points' in a debate because he had better 'zingers' than the opponent. I mean, are we electing a stand-up comedian? Do we need to know if he can juggle, or make balloon animals?

To be fair, I was also insulted by the 'who would you rather have a beer with' analysis of GW Bush, but come on...

Now we're going with who is snarkier?

Now 'cut downs' are Presidential?

DanaC 11-01-2012 05:14 PM

Oh that's an even wider point :p

Flint 11-01-2012 05:17 PM

Happy Monkey 11-01-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 836901)
But is that even the point? I thought the point was that our society is so dumbed-down that a sitting president is regarded as having 'scored points' in a debate because he had better 'zingers' than the opponent.
Now we're going with who is snarkier?

Did you understand what he said, past the zinger?

Romney's criticism was that we have fewer ships now than we used to.

Obama's response, while admittedly in the zinger form you hate so much, was that the number of ships is a poor metric, when the power and versatility of the ships we do have is beyond the imagination of ye olde Navy.

Not to mention the fact that there isn't an opposing navy now that we would have to overwhelm with numbers.

glatt 11-02-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 836949)
Did you understand what he said, past the zinger?

Romney's criticism was that we have fewer ships now than we used to.

Obama's response, while admittedly in the zinger form you hate so much, was that the number of ships is a poor metric, when the power and versatility of the ships we do have is beyond the imagination of ye olde Navy.

Not to mention the fact that there isn't an opposing navy now that we would have to overwhelm with numbers.

This is exactly the issue. Anything else is a distraction.