The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Good news, bad news (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16582)

glatt 12-07-2012 08:11 AM

You should start an import business for stuff like this.

While you are at it, can you get me a bottle of ARIMOLIO olive oil from Italy?

footfootfoot 12-07-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 841843)

Seriously. I would have been killed.

Are you kidding? You would have been seriously killed!

Chocolatl 12-07-2012 08:37 AM

Glatt, I'm no connoisseur but I really liked Stonehouse Olive Oil from California. (Enough so that it's actually on my Christmas wish list this year.) It's award winning stuff, but at $16 a bottle + shipping it may well be cheaper to import some from Europe.

glatt 12-07-2012 08:42 AM

Stonehouse, huh? I'll have to try that.

This Arimolio stuff was a gift from a neighbor who went to Italy. I never had any olive oil even close to it before or since. And I've been trying all sort of gourmet expensive oils from Italian stores since then, but nothing approaches it. They all taste pretty much the same to me. But this Arimolio stuff was so delicious, you could drink it.

Chocolatl 12-07-2012 08:49 AM

I know what you mean. Stonehouse makes a Meyer lemon olive oil blend. Using French bread as a vehicle, I essentially drank the entire 16 oz bottle within days of our return home from San Francisco.

Griff 12-08-2012 09:10 PM

Good News: I won my first de today!
Bad News: I earned the right to get utterly crushed in my second de.

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2012 11:42 PM

de? Why you no get A? Oh wait you're not asian.
OK, what's de, Google won't tell me. :confused:

Griff 12-09-2012 07:24 AM

direct elimination

In tournaments we fence a round robin pool to 5 touches. We then use the results of that to seed the brackets for the direct elimination. So I went three wins and two loses with a +2 point differential in the pool which seeded me 8th of 18 and got me a bye in the first round. I beat number nine in my first de which put me in the round of 8. Then I "fenced" the tournament winner... quite possibly the ugliest thing I've ever done on a strip. I ended up 7 of 18 which was an okay result but that last bout has me perplexed.

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2012 10:15 PM

Oh, you're a stripper too. :eek::lol2:
I figured it was fencing, even Googled "de fencing", but that told me how to take fences down.

BigV 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

I didn't undestand either. I guess you have to actually be a fencer to get the point.

Griff 12-10-2012 04:51 PM

rimshot!

I've watched him lose a couple bouts on youtube, so now I have some things to work on. The kid can't be beaten with speed. I need to solidify my guardlines and be wicked patient waiting for the fleche opportunities and make good opposition thrusts.

Clodfobble 12-21-2012 07:35 AM

Good news: We don't have to travel anywhere for Christmas.

Bad news: This means I am hosting all the Christmas get-togethers for three separate family groups. To wit: I will cook a big meal midday on Christmas Eve for a total of 11 people. About two hours after they leave, I will serve another big dinner meal to a total of 9 people. The next morning, we will have the chaos of present-opening with 4 children, and then at 11:00 AM I will serve a big meal to a total of 12 people.

However, this does not have me freaked out, because I kind of don't give a damn. And it really is a good tradeoff for not having to travel. I'll figure something out.

Chocolatl 12-21-2012 08:28 AM

Egad. Good luck! Time to bust out the Crockpot maybe?

Griff 12-21-2012 04:13 PM

No f'in way!

Lola Bunny 12-21-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 844696)

However, this does not have me freaked out, because I kind of don't give a damn. And it really is a good tradeoff for not having to travel. I'll figure something out.

Great attitude! :thumb2: