The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Camping (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33196)

Gravdigr 06-25-2018 02:40 PM

1st rule of camping: Forecast, check it.

bbro 06-25-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1010671)
1st rule of camping: Forecast, check it.

I did. It was 30% chance. I chanced it. It turned to 50% chance. I am the rain queen

BigV 06-25-2018 09:32 PM

Camping in the rain is possible, trust me. But it's not easy or nice if you're not prepared. I don't know if it's my inner Boy Scout or my inner FAWET-fanatic, but being prepared for rain (or many other trip ruining calamities) is part of the pleasure. It sounds like you were able to weather the storm fairly well, though I wonder if the water/rain/sweat/stress diluted/removed your bug dope. Maybe you're just really tasty! Anyhow 100% DEET is the way to go for me. But then again, I've been told I have terrible taste.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Camping in the rain has joys most people never experience, like having the trail or campsite to yourself. Also, protip--after your self-massage with the DEET, wash your hands. That shit tastes like poison... (wonder why??)

bbro 06-26-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1010698)
Camping in the rain is possible, trust me. But it's not easy or nice if you're not prepared. I don't know if it's my inner Boy Scout or my inner FAWET-fanatic, but being prepared for rain (or many other trip ruining calamities) is part of the pleasure. It sounds like you were able to weather the storm fairly well, though I wonder if the water/rain/sweat/stress diluted/removed your bug dope. Maybe you're just really tasty! Anyhow 100% DEET is the way to go for me. But then again, I've been told I have terrible taste.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Camping in the rain has joys most people never experience, like having the trail or campsite to yourself. Also, protip--after your self-massage with the DEET, wash your hands. That shit tastes like poison... (wonder why??)

I actually liked it when I was in my hammock, under the rainfly. If I had bug netting, I probably would have toughed it out. I am 100% tasty to bugs. I was using 30% DEET spray. I sprayed it, rubbed it on, not 2 minutes later, I killed a bug biting my arm. I was feeling funky with so many applications. I am not sure DEET is good for me. I need to find my other stuff. It seems to work better, but I haven't used it in a situation like that.

I haven't given up yet! Hopefully the July trip will go well. It is in the mountains, so the bugs should be better. Now, if only the rain would stay away.....

Gravdigr 06-26-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1010689)
I am the rain queen

:lol2:

Gravdigr 06-26-2018 04:38 PM

WTF does FAWET mean?

Google does not enlighten.

Happy Monkey 06-26-2018 05:08 PM

FAWET

xoxoxoBruce 06-26-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1010689)
I am the rain queen

Hook up with the Fire King for a steamy relationship. :blush:

Diaphone Jim 06-29-2018 11:37 AM

This outfit is holding a campout for several hundred people near here this weekend.
https://www.tentsile.com/
Their products look like interesting alternatives to old technology.
All you need is three willing (and strong) trees. And money.

Gravdigr 06-29-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1010727)

Thank you very much!

captainhook455 06-29-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1010713)
I actually liked it when I was in my hammock, under the rainfly. If I had bug netting, I probably would have toughed it out. I am 100% tasty to bugs. I was using 30% DEET spray. I sprayed it, rubbed it on, not 2 minutes later, I killed a bug biting my arm. I was feeling funky with so many applications. I am not sure DEET is good for me. I need to find my other stuff. It seems to work better, but I haven't used it in a situation like that.

I haven't given up yet! Hopefully the July trip will go well. It is in the mountains, so the bugs should be better. Now, if only the rain would stay away.....

Sooo back when I hiked the Smokies I bought an Army hammock from the military surplus store. It has a roof, skeetter screens, rain covers and everything zips from the inside or outside. Later when motorcycle camping is when I bought a tent.

bbro 07-17-2018 08:20 AM

I realized I had a camping trip this upcoming weekend. Excitement ensued. Then, I checked the weather. Mother fucking rain. Again. Still on the fence about going or not. The problem is that I took a day off work. It's not that easy to switch them around. Which means if I try to camp there again, it will just be over night.

Why does the universe not want me to camp?

xoxoxoBruce 07-17-2018 09:02 AM

One summer when I was working at the speed shop, the drag races got rained out 13 Sundays in a row. :(

bbro 07-17-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1011788)
One summer when I was working at the speed shop, the drag races got rained out 13 Sundays in a row. :(

That sucks. Last weekend was gorgeous. Should've camped then. Probably would have still rained.

I'm trying to outsource the decision. So far it's 50/50. One for reschedule and one for go

bbro 07-17-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1011789)
That sucks. Last weekend was gorgeous. Should've camped then. Probably would have still rained.

I'm trying to outsource the decision. So far it's 50/50. One for reschedule and one for go

Fuck it. I'm going. I'm more prepared this time. I'll actually set up a tarp. At the worst, I'll be "stuck" in my hammock during the rain. oh no!