The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Weird food combinations you eat (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14547)

bluecuracao 06-13-2007 11:52 PM

Ketchup on hotdogs is yummy.

Beestie 06-14-2007 12:16 AM

A banana and mayo sammich. My Mom made those for me when I was a l'il tyke and about once a year I get a craving for them.

Hagar 06-14-2007 12:43 AM

Fish fingers with wasabi.

Nightsong 06-14-2007 02:09 AM

Okay, I am not really fond of Subway subs. How ever when I have to go there I get a tuna sandwich with marinara sauce, spicy mustard, and onions. With cheese ofcourse.

bbro 06-14-2007 07:59 AM

I dip my fries in my Frosty when I order from Wendy's. Sometimes, I dip my burger (with everything except pickles and tomatoes) in, too

Most people can handle the fries, but think the burger is disgusting.

Clodfobble 06-14-2007 08:40 AM

I knew a girl who did the fries/Frosty thing. She also was the first person I met who put lemons in her Dr. Peppers.

Cloud 06-14-2007 08:43 AM

milktoast.

A favorite breakfast of childhood (but one I don't eat now)--hot buttered toast smothered in scalded milk.

smurfalicious 06-14-2007 09:10 AM

my dinner last night consisted of a can of pear halves, 2 slices of that processed plastic-wrapped 'cheese', and dill pickles. The SO immediately asked if I was preggers.

also:
peanut butter, mayo, banana sammich
slices of cheddar cheese dipped in a tart yogurt
french fries dipped in a Wendy's frosty
applesauce on ham (which I thought was totally normal, but the SO disagrees)
BBQ sauce on eggs
BBQ sauce on mac-n-cheese
BBQ sauce on, well, anything

Kitsune 06-14-2007 11:17 AM

Poor man's cereal: leftover rice in a bowl with milk and sugar.

MurMetz 06-14-2007 11:33 AM

best sandwich in the world: peanut butter & pickles (bread & butter or sweet) - it's a requirement that the sandwich is made as follows:

bread
peanut butter
pickles
peanut butter
bread

wolf 06-15-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune (Post 354967)
Poor man's cereal: leftover rice in a bowl with milk and sugar.

I think that's more like lazy man's rice pudding ...

My "weird" combos are probably not that weird.

I also am of the ketchup on a hotdog crowd. I do not like mustard at all. I eat soft pretzels dry. Yes, in Philadelphia that is considered sacrilege. Deal with it.

I was quite amused by that scene in Sudden Impact, where the coroner is checking out the body on the beach, the one where the guy was shot in the balls? Anyway, he's eating while he's examining the body. I don't have the exact quote, but it goes pretty much like this ...

Dirty Harry: How can you do that?

Coroner: What, eat while I'm working? Harry, I do this all the time.

Dirty Harry: Nobody, but nobody puts ketchup on a hotdog.

The National Vegetable also goes well with ham and/or eggs.

I won't put it on fried or scrambleds, but any omelet involving cheese and meat looks like an accident victim laying on my plate.

I do some odd things with peanut butter, or so people tell me. I put it on toast and bagels, and it goes great with bacon. I think it started with those bacon-flavored crackers, and I moved up to the real thing.

Cream cheese and jelly is a flavor combo granted to us by the Gods.

Hawaiian Pizza has become a more accepted option, but it still grosses out a couple of my coworkers.

Urbane Guerrilla 06-15-2007 02:38 AM

Since when is peanut butter on celery weird? That's a basic picnic finger food where I come from. Add a single line of raisins down the peanut butter and you have Ants on a Log.

And since when is ham-and-pineapple Hawaiian pizza news to anyone? Some of wolf's coworkers sound very behind the times.

Some people love this, others blanch. I've mentioned it before: grilled cheese sandwich with peanut butter, plus any sweet green relish. Dill pickle relish for those who prefer it tart.

It ain't no stranger'n Mango Salsa... which might go well in the above augmented cheese sandwich, in place of the green relish.

Hardly strange at all is eggs fried together with a little shredded-up pastrami.

lizzymahoney 06-15-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 355274)
And since when is ham-and-pineapple Hawaiian pizza news to anyone? Some of wolf's coworkers sound very behind the times.

C'mon, Urbane. Take a look at her dateline and then yours. That's the difference. I've always lived East Coast. Hawaiian pizza is not on every pizza menu. The only time I tried it was in London. I prefer my double anchovy, extra garlic, pass me the olive oil New York style.

lizzymahoney 06-15-2007 07:48 AM

The name escapes me, but that essential Canuck dish with the fries, curd and brown gravy is actually pretty good. hmmm, poteen? While it may be French Canadien in origin, I've had it in the Western Provinces, too. Sounds gross to most of us south of that border, though.

lizzymahoney 06-15-2007 07:51 AM

This may be a south Jersey thing, but I love old fashioned tomato preserves or jelly or jam folded into an omelet.

I prefer another old fashioned condiment with my scrambled eggs: chile sauce. It has a different flavor than salsa, although I'd use either.