The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flu shots? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4394)

lumberjim 11-19-2003 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dagney

From what I remember during a tour of Wyeth (During an interview long ago and far away) they do statistical studies of flu cases and try to determine the likelihood of certain strains getting to the US (or whatever region they're producing for) during that year's flu season.

This year's flu vaccine recipe was determined last year and put together this past spring. It's a pot shot, but for the most part, it seems to work.

And as always, this is not 'fact', just memory from a degree I got 10 years ago.

Dagney

didn't some news show just state that they think they missed the mark this year, and probably don't have the right virus in this year's shot? and then still reccomend that we get them? please.

just wash your hands a lot

elSicomoro 11-19-2003 05:32 PM

I may try the nasal vaccine in the future, as I apparently have an allergy to one of the antibodies in the shot. Got one two years ago, started feeling all hot and cold, mouth tasted like aluminum, and my heart was racing. Damn, that was scary.

warch 11-19-2003 05:59 PM

Got a free one at work. I too, cant avoid humans and tend to interact a lot with the small, nose-pickin', sticky ones.

richlevy 11-19-2003 07:12 PM

Just got a free one at work today. Felt a little flush and nauseous a few hours later. I only keep aspirin in my desk and after reading the warning about the of Guillain-Barré syndrome as a remote possibility, I borrowed some acetomenaphin from a co-worker.

I remembered that aspirin and GB had been linked when taken for some diseases.

xoxoxoBruce 11-19-2003 11:11 PM

Got a monthly bulletin from my Health Care Provider that said *every* influenza originated in Chinese livestock.:(

wolf 11-20-2003 12:58 AM

Guess you're gonna have to give up that tryst with the milker from Nanking, then, eh Bruce?

warch 11-20-2003 01:27 PM

There once was a milker from Nanking...

BrianR 11-20-2003 03:09 PM

I can't resist

Who liked to pull on his thing...

NEXT!

lumberjim 11-20-2003 03:47 PM

one day in the cellar
with sarah michelle gellar

ok someone finish it

dave 11-20-2003 03:55 PM

left her face enameled and dripping.

Elspode 11-22-2003 01:00 AM

I must have mis-read this thread title. I thought it said *flu* shots...

lumberjim 11-22-2003 01:10 AM

There once was a milker from Nanking...
Who liked to pull on his thing...
one day in the cellar
with sarah michelle gellar
he left her face enameled and dripping.

elspode is my hero

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2003 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf
Guess you're gonna have to give up that tryst with the milker from Nanking, then, eh Bruce?
I'd rather give the, Flu a shot.:p

Elspode 11-22-2003 07:33 AM

I have had exactly one flu shot in my entire life. I initiated a flu shot program for one of my previous employers, and I decided to get one myself as the prognostication for influenza was rather high that year.

Two days after getting the shot, I came down with the worst case of the flu I've ever had, and was off work for a solid week.

I'm not saying the shot caused the flu, but it was damn strange.

lumberjim 11-22-2003 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspode
I have had exactly one flu shot in my entire life. I initiated a flu shot program for one of my previous employers, and I decided to get one myself as the prognostication for influenza was rather high that year.

Two days after getting the shot, I came down with the worst case of the flu I've ever had, and was off work for a solid week.

I'm not saying the shot caused the flu, but it was damn strange.

I"M saying the shot caused the flu.....c'mon. don't get me started about vaccines....I think i'll get jinx fired up and start a thread about vaccines......look in home base