The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hollywood is Racist! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14467)

Flint 06-08-2007 02:08 PM

Superman was the Jewish response to the idea of the German ...superman.

The X-Men are a literary device to explore the alienation of society's marginalized groups. The X-Men are a symbol of anti-racism, anti-xenophobia, anti-homophobia, etc. They aren't really talking about "mutants" FYI

Sundae 06-08-2007 02:23 PM

Anyway, Jubilee is Chinese (or mixed race, can't completely remember).

I'm not an X Men fan myself, but we had comic characters as name place holders at my wedding. I had Jubilee (because of Cherries Jubilee - a pancake dish at Happy Eater!) although being a Neil Gaiman fan I argued for one of the female Endless. Funnily enough, my ex wasn't keen on me being represented by Death, Delirium, Despair or Desire (who in the comic is a unspecified gender meddling backstabber). Sheesh.

rkzenrage 06-08-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 352156)
White batman, white superman, white flash gordan, white ghost rider, most of the x-men heroes are white...

Because they were in the comics.
Are you broken?:whofart:

There is only one human race, so it does not matter.

Beestie 06-08-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 352450)
:confused:
I don't think you can get much whiter than Otto Preminger.

I was thinking Mr. Freeze from The Incredibles.

Sundae 06-08-2007 06:32 PM

For the record I think this was a deliberate stir by Duck in order to watch Americans (Westerners) get their panties in a twist. Hence my reply about HKC.

But hey, she gifted us a thread re race/ diversity in comics, and comics aren't discussed much here :)

rkzenrage 06-08-2007 06:49 PM

There was a DC Freeze also, Batman.
I think Duck has had a breakdown.
Comics have always been very diverse.

Cloud 06-08-2007 07:04 PM

Not sure what this has to do with Hollywood, but Superman is not homo sapiens, so can't be Caucasian.

Green Lantern is black. So is Lex Luthor (in the Justice League show). So is Static Shock.

TheMercenary 06-08-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 352641)
Not sure what this has to do with Hollywood, but Superman is not homo sapiens, so can't be Caucasian.

Green Lantern is black. So is Lex Luthor (in the Justice League show). So is Static Shock.

Speaking of Green Lantern, aka the Green Hornet, his side kick was Bruce Lee in the Hollywood version....

skysidhe 06-08-2007 07:38 PM

Hollywood is over 80% white. I am sure that is relevant somehow.

My only favorite part of Spiderman3 was in that brief moment spidey was suspended in front of the American flag. I felt proud about the US for the first time since... never. It was subtle. It was as if to say. See world. We can still have fun and not take ourselves seriously. After all you'll only get this in HOLLYWOOD!

* chest puffs up-buttons burst- salutes*

Ibby 06-09-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 352158)
Bollywood is racist.

Most of the heroes are Indian.

This is both the first and the best response to this thread. Showbusiness is still a business. The majority of America is white. Therefore, not only will the majority of people in any given sample be white, but also the majority of the purchasing power is in the white population.

I remember reading a while back about some Chinese kid bitching about how the American school system is racist because only 15% (or something like that) of students in American colleges are Asian. I guess that sounds pretty rough - until you realize that only like, what, 2 or 3% of America is Asian.

There are more white people in the States than anyone else. Therefore by that virtue alone there will be more white people in the movies. Racism can not exist in just the numbers, like that (unless there is a MASSIVE disconnect between ratios in general and in specific, such as the huge difference between the black American population and the black prison population.), there will always be more of the majority in any given sample.

Duh.

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 352654)
Hollywood is over 80% white. I am sure that is relevant somehow.

My only favorite part of Spiderman3 was in that brief moment spidey was suspended in front of the American flag. I felt proud about the US for the first time since... never. It was subtle. It was as if to say. See world. We can still have fun and not take ourselves seriously. After all you'll only get this in HOLLYWOOD!

* chest puffs up-buttons burst- salutes*

Here's one for your chest.

Happy Monkey 06-11-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 352648)
Speaking of Green Lantern, aka the Green Hornet, his side kick was Bruce Lee in the Hollywood version....

Green Lantern has nothing to do with Green Hornet. Green Hornet is a relative of the Lone Ranger. Green Lantern is an interstellar cop.