The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fucking idiot should go to jail. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26618)

Aliantha 01-03-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 784763)
No, guns do kill people... not the government, not rednecks, not idiots.
People just pull the trigger.

Children die because police officers do leave their loaded guns on the bedside table,
People die because hunters do fire their guns without identifying the target.
Remove the "gun" from each of the above and those people would not be dead or injured.

Ask Australia what happened when guns, not people, were removed from that country.

Not much has happened at all. People still die from gunshot wounds. Not sure what you wanted an Aussie to say here lamp.

Trilby 01-03-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maineiac04631 (Post 784761)
Guns don't kill people, ignorant rednecks with guns kll people.

You know how I love making sweeping generalizations - everyone I ever met from Indiana was a complete nutcase. From UFO's in the backyard to Papist conspiracies to Satan planting dinosaur bones in the ground to confound the faithful, to laetril being God's own natural and pure cure for cancer that government is keeping under wraps because (and I quote) "they make too much money off a' cancer for them to want to really cure it;" from husbands murdering wives and "she's shouldna' left him alone," to the denial of evolution said with a hearty laugh, "They want me to think I'm a monkey's uncle!!" to a strong belief in an Amish "doctor" who diagnoses you by looking into your eyes and a vigorous KKK - that's what I know of Indiana folk.

glatt 01-03-2012 07:51 AM

This guy belongs in prison. But I doubt he will see a single day behind bars.

Wen I was a teen in Maine, there was a little girl shot in her backyard by a hunter who thought she was a deer because she had the audacity to wear white mittens while playing in her back yard. Did I mention she was in her own back yard? The hunter was sorry and promised never to do it again. Didn't go to prison. And the little girl died in her back yard.

Edit. I looked it up. It wasn't a little girl. It was a lady with little girls.

Spexxvet 01-03-2012 07:58 AM

The guy should at least be prohibited from ever touching a gun again.

HungLikeJesus 01-03-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 784763)
No, guns do kill people... not the government, not rednecks, not idiots.
People just pull the trigger.

By that logic, guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

glatt 01-03-2012 08:29 AM

It's the blood loss that kills people.

footfootfoot 01-03-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 784827)
This guy belongs in prison. But I doubt he will see a single day behind bars.

Wen I was a teen in Maine, there was a little girl shot in her backyard by a hunter who thought she was a deer because she had the audacity to wear white mittens while playing in her back yard. Did I mention she was in her own back yard? The hunter was sorry and promised never to do it again. Didn't go to prison. And the little girl died in her back yard.

Edit. I looked it up. It wasn't a little girl. It was a lady with little girls.

I remember that event. If you were a teen then you must be very young... like 30 or 40.

The laws about accidental shooting vary from state to state. You can be charged with manslaughter or more in NY. My hunting mentor gave me a copy of Outdoor News or something like that that had an article about hunting fatalities this year in NY. The #1 cause of death is people falling out of tree stands. accounts for something close to half of all hunting accident deaths. I would suspect that 99% of all deaths are due to knuckleheadism, of which falling from a tree stand is a subset. That last one percent might cover legitimate accidents despite proper precautions.

footfootfoot 01-03-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 784799)
You know how I love making sweeping generalizations - everyone I ever met from Indiana was a complete nutcase. From UFO's in the backyard to Papist conspiracies to Satan planting dinosaur bones in the ground to confound the faithful, to laetril being God's own natural and pure cure for cancer that government is keeping under wraps because (and I quote) "they make too much money off a' cancer for them to want to really cure it;" from husbands murdering wives and "she's shouldna' left him alone," to the denial of evolution said with a hearty laugh, "They want me to think I'm a monkey's uncle!!" to a strong belief in an Amish "doctor" who diagnoses you by looking into your eyes and a vigorous KKK - that's what I know of Indiana folk.

glatt 01-03-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 784848)
I would suspect that 99% of all deaths are due to knuckleheadism

Clearly we need to bring back Phrenology.

footfootfoot 01-03-2012 09:46 AM

audibly laughing

HungLikeJesus 01-03-2012 10:02 AM

Do you blame the tree, or the tree stand?

footfootfoot 01-03-2012 10:10 AM

Let's put the blame where it belongs. On the deer. They lead hunters on...

wolf 01-03-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 784871)
Do you blame the tree, or the tree stand?

I'd blame the hungover, unathletic, fat guy, but I'm strange that way.

It's basic shooting safety to only shoot at a target that you can identify, AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT.

I'm not blaming the victim here, but regardless of prior permission given, you should make a courtesy call before you go to some other person's property and pretend to shoot at people. Especially in the country.

Oh, and children are more likely to die of drowning in a bathtub or playing high school football than they are by intention or accident involving a firearm.

Ban the bathtubs!

lookout123 01-03-2012 05:26 PM

Don't go making some left field ridiculous comparison to bathtubs simply to yank another poster's chain. This here is a serious call for banning firearms.

We'll get around to cars and electricity next.

Trilby 01-04-2012 10:09 AM

How 'bout we just ban Indiana?