The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Naming Your Child (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6051)

lumberjim 06-11-2004 05:24 PM

what!? how dare they? that's wrong on so many levels. what is the justification?

Clodfobble 06-11-2004 05:51 PM

That it's a form of child abuse. It's rarely called into play, when I read about it they listed examples of rejected names, like 4175896, or Satan, etc.

DanaC 06-11-2004 06:04 PM

I think in Germany the name has to be one of the names in the big name book.....I think...

marichiko 06-11-2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DanaC
I think in Germany the name has to be one of the names in the big name book.....I think...
Yeah, I was in that book. My good Swiss-German Mom picked my name out if her very own self. A lot of good those books do! (bitter, bitter, bitter - flounces off in a huff to hate dear old Mom)

Elspode 06-11-2004 06:50 PM

This topic seems familiar to me, and so for those of you who already heard me relate this gem:

My mom went to high school with two brothers. Last name was Pullins. First names? Richard and Peter.

lumberjim 06-11-2004 06:55 PM

i have numerous funny names to list, but wolf mentioned hippa, and i think i'm better safe than sorry.

cough*nusspickle*cough

ahem

Clodfobble 06-11-2004 07:08 PM

HIPPA only applies to healthcare workers, not car salesmen.

jinx 06-11-2004 07:11 PM

He knows CPR....

lumberjim 06-11-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clodfobble
HIPPA only applies to healthcare workers, not car salesmen.
well, we call it by another name, but it's the same privacy act bullshit that i have to deal with. and i did say that "wolf mentioned hippa" not "i have to comply with hippa"

and i'm not a car salesman ;)

blue 06-11-2004 07:29 PM

My name is a good boring, sensible, biblical name. Mark Stevens. 60% of the people I've just met call me Steve. Fucking parents ;-) Gonna name my firstborn Kissmyass Stevens. And your name is......?

Clodfobble 06-11-2004 07:56 PM

well, we call it by another name, but it's the same privacy act bullshit that i have to deal with.

Really? I had no idea you guys were bound by any privacy laws at all.

A friend of mine named her daughter Noa, proud of herself that she'd made it up and it was totally unique. She was disappointed when I told her it's actually a traditional Hebrew girls name.

And though I hate my first name (Jennifer) I'm pretty partial to my middle name, Lee. I briefly attempted to go by Lee instead around sixth grade, but it never caught on.

lumberjim 06-11-2004 08:06 PM

yeah, well if you think about it, i could really fuck someone up if i wanted to break the law. i have access to thousands of customers' ss#'s, income, address, signatures. everything i need to buy a car in their name, get credit cards, whatever.

what the hell is someone going to do with the knowledge that you have a cyst on your ass?

our next door neighbor, Garnet Ford had a salesman that stole 8 identities and fled the state with something upwards of $50K in creditcard purchased items. if you see him his name is Nelson Santiago. crap eater.

blue 06-11-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clodfobble
[i]And though I hate my first name (Jennifer) I'm pretty partial to my middle name, Lee. I briefly attempted to go by Lee instead around sixth grade, but it never caught on.
Jennifer is a nice name! Now I'm curious about your last name tho, you mentioned you'd never name a child blue because it wouldn't work?

Yeah I realize I gave my real name out on the internet. I don't give a shit. If you (anonymous psychos) want to show up and fuck with me give it your best shot.

Just don't kill me in the shower tho because that kind of freaks me out a little.

Kitsune 06-11-2004 08:11 PM

http://www.funnyname.com/contest/verbyl.jpg

Clodfobble 06-11-2004 08:15 PM

Jennifer is a nice name! Now I'm curious about your last name tho, you mentioned you'd never name a child blue because it wouldn't work?

It has a predominant "oo" sound. A lot of names I like sound terrible with it--Julie, Lucas, Lucy...

what the hell is someone going to do with the knowledge that you have a cyst on your ass?

Ask you if you plan on sellin' that thing once it's removed?