The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   On which day of the week were you born? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22017)

lumberjim 02-04-2010 11:12 PM

I was born at 1:20 AM....so I'm really kind of on the cusp of Sunday night.

Do any of you believe that you have natural energy peaks? I find that if I am not asleep by 12:30, I'm up past 2. And I have a decided energy lull from 1PM to about 4:30 PM.

Datalyss 02-05-2010 12:14 AM

I was born 14,641 days ago on Monday, January 5, 1970. This was the same day German physicist/mathematician Max Born died at the age of 87.

Sundae 02-05-2010 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 632373)
Hey that's my Saturday you're sighing on! Nothing wrong with Saturday. In fact, as scheduled and induced deliveries become more common, us weekenders will be a rarer breed.

I was born on Carnival day - it used to be the first Saturday in July, which in 1972 happened to be July 1st. Mum was told a couple of times that she was lucky - she went into hospital in the early hours and I was born at 07.30. Had I been a couple of hours later making an appearance they'd have had trouble getting through the traffic. Mum just thought she was lucky because I was about a week overdue and she was tired of lugging me around.

So, no. Had I been scheduled I certainly would not have had to work hard for a living!

jujuwwhite 02-05-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 632284)
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I was bonny as a child but no more...but i've never been gay or good. :p

jinx 02-05-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 632373)
Hey that's my Saturday you're sighing on! Nothing wrong with Saturday. In fact, as scheduled and induced deliveries become more common, us weekenders will be a rarer breed.

Are people really still doing this?
Boggles the mind that insurance companies even let them.

Pete Zicato 02-05-2010 12:02 PM

Z-let #1 was weeks late and was induced. Of course that was 18 years ago.

Sundae 02-05-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 632554)

I read recently about the increase in elective caesarians in this country. But it was a negative article about women who could afford private healthcare being "too posh to push" so I can't say if there was any truth in it.

monster 02-05-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 632554)

scheduled c-sections are much cheaper than emergency ones

Pico and ME 02-05-2010 03:36 PM

People agree to have induced labor so that their doctor will be there for the delivery. Or doctors suggest it so the delivery doesn't interfere with their schedule. Either way.

jinx 02-05-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 632619)
scheduled c-sections are much cheaper than emergency ones

What does that have to do with elective inductions based on schedules or weekends?

zippyt 02-05-2010 04:33 PM

a tuesday

Clodfobble 02-05-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx

It's not so much vanity scheduling, it's more like there's a complication (like pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes) which means they know they're going to schedule a c-section before the due date. In the past, the risks of a c-section had to be balanced with the risk of the condition, but they've gotten extremely good at minimizing the risks of c-sections these days, so pretty much anyone with a risky pregnancy condition is told to get one. Plus, multiple births are going up, and those are assumed to be c-sections these days too.

jinx 02-05-2010 06:29 PM

If there are complications, then an induction wouldn't be considered elective. It's the scheduling around around weekends (like you mentioned and I originally commented on), vacations, end of year tax reasons etc that I question. One intervention generally leads to more - and these things cost money. Gah.

link
Quote:

Elective induction significantly increased the risk of cesarean delivery for nulliparas, and increased in-hospital predelivery time and costs.

squirell nutkin 02-05-2010 06:41 PM

Pull up to the bumper.

Just call me Grace.

jujuwwhite 02-05-2010 07:37 PM

The expectant mothers who work with me have always tried to schedule their deliveries based on amount of time they had on the books. In other words, now days women can not afford to go 6 weeks with no paycheck so they try to work as long as possible to generate more vacation/sick time and then the minute their maternity leave starts, they want to have the baby thus giving them more time with the actual child rather than time off waiting for the birth.

Even though I can understand the financial sides of 'choosing' the day and almost the exact time you want your child to be born, it takes away some of the joy of letting nature takes its course or it would for me anyway.