The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Science, Religion, and the Surrounding Confusion. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17655)

lookout123 07-08-2008 11:25 AM

and i'll be damned if i buy into that crackpot theory, cloud.

Cloud 07-08-2008 11:38 AM

'xactly. It's Poseidon Earth Shaker!

It was weird, because you could tell the professors believed in it, but they weren't allowed to teach it as accepted scientific fact; they had to teach it along with --- whatever the hell the theory was before then--magma displacement?

. . . No, that's Hunt for Red October, darn.

BigV 07-08-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 467609)
and i'll be damned if i buy into that crackpot theory, cloud.

Agreed.

Where the hell did you go to school, Cloud? Pangea?

SamIam 07-08-2008 12:48 PM

Science and faith are mutually exclusive. Some people are just so frightened that they put blinders on themselves and cannot or will not see anything outside of their own narrowly based view of things. When I was in junior high, my parents made the mistake of placing me in a school run by a branch of the Luthern church. The pastor blithely told us that God created the fossils. End of discussion.

More recently, I happened to encounter a woman who is a member of the Pentecostal faith. She described with much enthusiasm how God sends unbaptized infants to burn in hell. That brand of "spirituality" makes me sick. I was challenged to explain my own point of view, but I wasn't going to touch that one with a ten foot burning bush. I merely said to her, "I respect your belief, but I do not share it." Even that statement was incendiary. Shereplied angrily, "Its not my belief, its God's own truth."

Whatever.

lookout123 07-08-2008 01:23 PM

If you want to stop her in her tracks just ask her to show you the scripture that crap came from. This doesn't invite an argument about the truthfulness of THE faith, it only asks her to support her faith with evidence from the basis of her faith.

there is a lot of "christian" theology that has no basis whatsoever in the Bible. so where does it come from?

Cloud 07-08-2008 01:28 PM

Continental drift! that was it!

lookout123 07-08-2008 01:56 PM

hey, i vaguely remember that.

Flint 07-08-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 467630)
there is a lot of "christian" theology that has no basis whatsoever in the Bible. so where does it come from?

From the same place that the stuff that IS in the Bible came from. Somebody thought it, somebody said it, somebody wrote it down.

But I understand your point. I don't think that the Bible says an overwhelming majority of what I hear people describing as the basis for their faith.

lookout123 07-08-2008 03:59 PM

OK, point taken Flint. You don't believe in the Bible as the God authored, man written word... yadayadayada. but the people you are having the discussion with DO. If they believe that the Bible is the word of God and they further believe that man's ideas are of no significance next to God's, ask them to show you where their theological points come from - chapter and verse.

Flint 07-08-2008 04:06 PM

Yeah, I understand. I diverged from your point, but it's a good point. And that is how you should do it. If someone is speaking with something as their specific basis, then they should be able to answer in those terms. If they can't do that then the problem isn't the book or the religion, it's that the person is a sloppy thinker.

But it isn't just an innocent mistake--where did these ideas come from? Which was your question.

Troubleshooter 07-08-2008 04:27 PM

It's funny, I'm pretty open about being an atheist, even fact to face.

People will ask me (usually rather loudly and shrilly), "Why do you hate God?"

I tell them, "I don't have a problem with God, it's you I don't like."

It's an easy mistake for them to make.

They've so wrapped themselves up in dogma that they forget that faith is an internal revelatory event. Faith isn't up for debate, everything else is though.

xoxoxoBruce 07-08-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 467623)
Science and faith are mutually exclusive.

Not true, it depends on what your faith is in. I might go along with, Science and the church leadership are mutually exclusive, though.

Pico and ME 07-09-2008 06:20 AM

I would think that the religious community's negative knee-jerk reaction to scientific ideas stems from way back when those type of ideas seriously threatened the 'Church's' power...for instance, when Galileo proposed that the earth revolved around the sun. The Church didnt play around...threats like these were handled.

It is mind-blowing to me, that, people who are now so thoroughly exposed to science, can still discount it in favor religious dogma.

I've finally come to the realization that the human race isnt really all that evolved yet. And may never be.

xoxoxoBruce 07-09-2008 10:46 AM

Pico, the reaction to Galileo by "The Church", although I think you're right, refers to one religious community.

jinx 07-09-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 467769)
..for instance, when Galileo proposed that the earth revolved around the sun. The Church didnt play around...threats like these were handled.

Just a point of order, but the church's reason for the Injunction against Galileo was that he was teaching and gathering evidence (with his shiny new telescope) for Copernicus' heliocentric theory, not that he proposed it himself.
:)