The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   DIY Gas Range Installation (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28105)

BigV 10-02-2012 01:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40979
The oven as I mentioned was used when I bought it. It came with an appliance connector, the name for the corrugated pipe you see here. Actually, in this first picture, you see the adapter from pipe threads on top of silver male/male connector to flare connector on the bottom. The flare connectors are designed to be used only once. The circular wedge at the bottom of the male connector mates with a female cone shaped receiver that is just a little too small to fit. When the connector is tightened, it smashes everything together into a gas tight fit. But that fit is only guaranteed (designed) for the first installation. Kind of like the crushable washers on your sparkplugs for those of you who have ever changed your own sparkplugs. I digress.

Attachment 40980
Here's the new gas connector. I pre bent the line (it's pretty firm) so that when the oven was in place, the yellow line would smoothly fit under the oven.

Attachment 40981
See the curve it takes when both sides are connected?

For the record, I soap tested all four of these connections as well, once I got them tight and turned on the gas.

BigV 10-02-2012 01:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40982
Fire!

Attachment 40983
Lots and lots of fire!!!

Attachment 40984
I'm done, let's go out to eat!

ZenGum 10-02-2012 06:59 AM

That's some mighty fine pipe-laying, Big V.

glatt 10-02-2012 07:39 AM

Nicely done. And no boom!

It's convenient that the right side of the stove is open because the doorway is there. Easier to gain access as you are doing the install. Our stove is in a pocket between two cabinets, so you need to lie on the counter and reach down with long arms to do anything with the gas. And you want someone holding you feet so you don't fall in back there behind the stove.

Is there a "back splash" to the stove behind the burners? It doesn't look like it. Looks like it's bare wall behind those rear burners. You might consider getting a piece of sheet stainless steel and screwing it to the wall for some fire protection and to be an easily washable surface when the bacon is splattering all over the place. Maybe you can remove a side panel from the old stove and use that for a back splash.

Looks like a really well done job.

zippyt 10-02-2012 07:43 AM

Good Job V !!!
I have found that if you have to loosen a strap holding a pipe it is Best to leave it loose untill you are totaly done ,

Lamplighter 10-02-2012 07:45 AM

Yeah, Big V !

Now just exactly where is your fracking well going to be located ?

Griff 10-03-2012 05:40 AM

No boom! Good job dude.

JBKlyde 10-03-2012 06:06 AM

The main difference between me and you bigv.. is that.. you know what the hell your doing...

BigV 10-03-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBKlyde (Post 832807)
The main difference between me and you bigv.. is that.. you know what the hell your doing...

That... plus the apostrophes.

Thanks JBK! :-)

classicman 10-09-2012 01:03 AM

Well done. Not only were some of those pieces made of brass, so are your balls.

orthodoc 10-09-2012 05:49 AM

Great photojournal, V; fantastic job! I'm going to show it to my engineer son. He loves stuff like this (as do I - not the skinned/gouged knuckles, awkward angle part, but the learning/planning/troubleshooting/success with a dangerous but very practical project part. :)

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2012 11:10 PM

Jesus H Christ, don't tell me you did that whole thing with Channellocks. :eek: You are into sadomasochism, aren't you. Did a good job though, did it right, no shortcuts.

From your pictures it looked like your drop light has an incandescent bulb. If so, replace it with one of those compact fluorescent Dairy Queen looking bulbs. First and foremost they won't burn you, or anything else, in tight places. Secondly, even rough service bulbs won't take much of a bump to break the filament, usually when it's least convenient. The Dairy Queens will take a lot of abuse.
I was amazed when someone turned me on to this... one of those forehead slapping why didn't I think of this moments.

ZenGum 10-11-2012 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh and...

Attachment 41132

BigV 10-12-2012 12:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks xoB for the praise. The thought of "short cuts" on this job kinda gives me the heebie jeebies Just... hell no thank you.

Got the curly bulb, check. As for the channel locks, yeah, channel locks. Except for the part where I needed to turn one pipe piece against another pipe piece, then I used the pipe wrench too.

The black handled channel locks, they're from Craftsman, I bought it at a junk/thrift store for five bucks. They're brand new, or they were before I christened them. As you might be able to make out in the solo picture, they do say pipe wrench on them. And they have the perpendicular bite like a pipe wrench compared to the channel locks shown here just for comparison. I didn't use the blue handled ones. They're just there for comparison, even the big one. I can't ever seem to get the pipe wrenches to bite where I want them to bite. As you can see from some of the shots, my range of motion for the wrench was often extremely limited.

Attachment 41133

Attachment 41134

BigV 10-12-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 833913)

Like a crutch, buddy. Funny like a crutch.