The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   This flag represents my heritage! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30975)

xoxoxoBruce 06-27-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 932037)
Hope you enjoyed the story. I was there to see it during the week or two that Nous Défions actually flew in garrison (in addition to the remote training site). Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days, I was reminiscing.

I did, made me smile and made me more knowledgeable, thank you.
Oh, and happy birthday... kid. :haha:

Sundae 06-27-2015 04:34 PM

Sex, I don't get pride about flags, but I do get pride about a hard job done well.
I join Bruce in thanking you for the education.

Clodfobble 06-27-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon
Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days,

Sexobon age reference noted... ;)

monster 06-27-2015 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most important flags to our family right now...

Attachment 52185

monster 06-27-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 932069)

wait, where?

Gravdigr 06-28-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 932069)

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 932078)
wait, where?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 932037)
Attachment 52180

A flag of this design flew in front of my unit headquarters (HQ) right under the American flag for a short period of time. The best translation, interpretation really, I found online is:

The flag was flown by the Special Forces unit given the US counterterrorism mission in the late '70s until another organization dedicated to that purpose, Delta Force, could be formed up and become operational. The flag was being flown by a unit commanded by a Colonel. It drew the ire of the Commanding General (CG) of the 1st Special Operations Command which was the next higher HQ. The CG was hard pressed to tell his subordinate Commander to remove it on a whim. The priority on the Colonel's mission gave him considerable influence with the CG's superiors. Where there's a will; however, there's a way...

So the CG found an Army regulation that says subordinate units may not fly their flags higher than their next higher HQ's. The spirit of the regulation was intended to mean that subordinate units would not fly their flags on taller flagpoles than their next higher HQ as a matter of protocol. The CG used the letter of the regulation to force the Colonel to take down his flags including the American flag; because, the subordinate unit's HQ was uphill [on higher elevation terrain] than the CG's HQ. The difference in elevation was enough that the Colonel would have to had dug a ditch to fly his flags, which would be another violation of regulation.

After Delta Force became operational, the Special Forces counterterrorism element became the model for their Special Operations and Tactics (SOT) course [kinda like civilian SWAT] and the logo is still popular on patches and t-shirts. Hope you enjoyed the story. I was there to see it during the week or two that Nous Défions actually flew in garrison (in addition to the remote training site). Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days, I was reminiscing. [/true story ...]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here.........................................................................................................................................................^^^.

Gravdigr 06-28-2015 01:13 PM

Oh, and Happy Birthday...Pops.

monster 06-28-2015 08:35 PM

Grav, rly? u have ur facetious sensor turned off! :rolleyes: Also, we already know how old he is. -that's why hr's not so careful any more. Game is over.

sexobon 06-28-2015 09:00 PM

Did you solve my little puzzle yet?

fargon 06-29-2015 06:22 AM

No.