The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What new thing have you learned today ? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23534)

Pico and ME 09-14-2010 03:45 PM

When a homemade soup is just not getting good...just add sour cream and all is well.

glatt 09-16-2010 07:27 AM

Today I learned that astronauts have serious problems with the gloves they wear during space walks, and that they are so bad, a significant portion of them lose their fingernails from wearing the gloves, and most experience pain while wearing the gloves.

Lamplighter 09-16-2010 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Read the surprisingly long but interesting article, and learned that too.

Then I looked at the sidebar menu and found a Hubble photo of some of Jinx's snails trapped in a spiral nebula in space.

Yznhymr 09-16-2010 04:32 PM

'global climate disruption' replaces global warming

glatt 01-14-2011 09:41 AM

Last night I read that guys who have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers are better negotiators than guys who don't. The ring finger thing is apparently a product of hormone levels while they were growing in the womb, and those men have/had higher testosterone levels. The higher testosterone levels make them more effective negotiators.

From this book.

I guess the lesson here is to be careful buying a car from a man with a long ring finger.

Undertoad 01-14-2011 09:48 AM

Also ring finger shorter than index finger = 33% less chance of prostate cancer cite

HungLikeJesus 01-14-2011 10:02 AM

What if they're the same?

Shawnee123 01-14-2011 10:03 AM

So, these aren't like Old Husband's Tales, like the one about a woman's second toe being longer than her big toe means she will "henpeck" her husband? Does "henpeck" mean she'll be a total bitch?

Or do these finger length indicators have actual scientific reasoning?

(Sorry, haven't had time to read the article. Will later.)

glatt 01-14-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 705666)
Or do these finger length indicators have actual scientific reasoning?

Scientific
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Sundae 01-14-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 705657)
Last night I read that guys who have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers are better negotiators than guys who don't. The ring finger thing is apparently a product of hormone levels while they were growing in the womb, and those men have/had higher testosterone levels. The higher testosterone levels make them more effective negotiators.

There is a suggestion that the opposite applies to gay men. That a woman who has had more than one son carries higher oestrogen levels in order to combat the repeated doses of testosterone felt by carrying sons. So the finger test (ooh-er) is supposed to apply, as it position in the family.

However data gathered seems to suggest this is just a trend, not anything that can be relied on. There are people trying to determine whether people are born gay or decide to be gay, so you can bet if there was any real proof it would be widely disseminated (!)

jimhelm 01-14-2011 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 705657)

From this book.

I guess the lesson here is to be careful buying a car from a man with a long ring finger.

just sayin:

jimhelm 01-14-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
but cereal:

Shawnee123 01-14-2011 11:18 AM

There is no way that is some actual human being's hand! Unless the pinky was formerly chopped off and replaced with a replica nail to make it look more "normal." :eek:

edit: ha ha was referring to post 27 and now looking back I see the shoppin'

I was freaked for a second. Damn I'm gullible.

:lol:

footfootfoot 01-14-2011 11:27 AM

Jim are you a lefty?

Sundae 01-14-2011 11:56 AM

bloody reds under the beds everywhere these days...