The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   new sheriff in town (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15684)

lookout123 10-18-2007 12:16 PM

i don't really like this line of thought. an industry related board i was involved with imploded when a couple of guys started posting IPs then went a step further and posted RL identities. bad bad bad news.

lumberjim 10-18-2007 12:35 PM

my IP:Freeley

Clodfobble 10-18-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
If Colbert actually runs for president (even as a joke) doesn't that mean they have to drop his show or grant the other candidates equal coverage? Or is cable exempt from that law?

Most cable is in theory exempt, but no one's ever pushed the issue for the courts to rule one way or the other. From here:

Quote:

But what about cable? The equal opportunities rules are, by their terms, applicable to "local origination cablecasting." But what does that mean? Are cable networks like TNT, which broadcast Law and Order episodes, covered? While many cable networks take the position that they are not covered by the rules, they nevertheless tend to take off programming which could trigger the rules and force a test case of how far the rules do extend. For instance, when Arnold Schwarzenegger ran for governor of California, Terminator movies were nowhere to be seen.
Realistically, Comedy Central will be just fine. A lot of people still consider the whole thing a joke, and no one expects him to win one way or the other.

The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work. For instance, to get on the primary ballot in SC as a Republican, there's a mandatory $25,000 fee. For the Democratic primary, the fee is only $2,500 or 3000 signatures from SC residents. Also, a Republican candidate has to win a plurality in a given district to actually have any delegates at the Rep. National Convention, whereas the Democratic candidates spread their delegates by more direct voting percentages, meaning he only has to get 15% of the vote in any particular district in order to take a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.

ZenGum 10-18-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman (Post 396654)
Hey! You're gonna really make me mad... you've been around longer than me and I have more posts than you. :mad2:

I'm gonna look like a post whore. :mad:

This just ain't gonna work... :eyebrow:

fucker...

YOU look like a post whore?

HA!

HA!

HA!

I barely have time to get off my back.

glatt 10-18-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 396744)
Most cable is in theory exempt, but no one's ever pushed the issue for the courts to rule one way or the other. From here:

Realistically, Comedy Central will be just fine. A lot of people still consider the whole thing a joke, and no one expects him to win one way or the other.

The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work. For instance, to get on the primary ballot in SC as a Republican, there's a mandatory $25,000 fee. For the Democratic primary, the fee is only $2,500 or 3000 signatures from SC residents. Also, a Republican candidate has to win a plurality in a given district to actually have any delegates at the Rep. National Convention, whereas the Democratic candidates spread their delegates by more direct voting percentages, meaning he only has to get 15% of the vote in any particular district in order to take a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.

Very interesting.

I don't have cable, so I haven't caught any of this on tv. Did he go over these details on his show, or are you learning this somewhere else?

SteveDallas 10-18-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 396708)

happy now?

Well mine is 127.0.0.1. I dare you to try to hack it.

BigV 10-18-2007 01:56 PM

hack
ow
hack
ouch!
hackackackack

dammmit!

Rexmons 10-18-2007 02:03 PM

this sat at the doorway into our old tech room:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...celike_mat.jpg

Clodfobble 10-18-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I don't have cable, so I haven't caught any of this on tv. Did he go over these details on his show, or are you learning this somewhere else?

The filing fees were mentioned on the show ("Man, Democrats are a cheap date!") and the rest is from various online articles and interviews with the heads of the parties in SC. There's been a ton of speculation on both the legality and feasibility of his stunt. www.nofactzone.net has more information compiled in one place than you could ever dream, including a link to an interesting little article on the genuine political use of the "favorite son" concept.

glatt 10-18-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 396754)
Well mine is 127.0.0.1. I dare you to try to hack it.

For all you dummies out there like me, I just Googled that 127.0.0.1 IP address and found it is some sort of "loopback" to your "home" address. I'm probably getting the details wrong, but it sounds like it's the address of your own computer.

SteveDallas 10-18-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 396784)
For all you dummies out there like me, I just Googled that 127.0.0.1 IP address and found it is some sort of "loopback" to your "home" address. I'm probably getting the details wrong, but it sounds like it's the address of your own computer.

A gold star for glatt!

bluecuracao 10-18-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.

I guess both sides don't really need to, as long as one side has the rule.

Crimson Ghost 10-18-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 396784)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Madman 10-19-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexmons (Post 396711)
It would differentiate between users that start up fake profiles and go apeshit vs legitimate newcomers. UT may have that ability already.

Are you on drugs?

I'm a Troll... What are you going to do about it?

wata fweak... :eyebrow:

xoxoxoBruce 10-20-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work.

We've discussed at length, how difficult it is for a third party, or rogue candidate, to get on the ballot.
UT has special insight into the PA process, having been in the thick of it.